Celebrity vs Carnival

ItalianGuest

Just back from Carnival Victory, here is a short review of my cruise:

Hope it helps! Especially for those who are thinking to try Carnival and "betray" Celebrity.

I did it but now I'm more sure that Celebrity is the best cruise company !!! :)

AND PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A COMMENT !

Note:

- I'm Italian

- This is my first Carnival cruise

- I've been on Costa, Celebrity, Rccl and Hal ships

Valutation and comparison (...) with my last cruise onboard Celebrity Millennium:

Carnival / ( Celebrity ):

Boarding:

***** / (*****+)

Rapid and quiet but no champagne glass alas!

Debarkation:

*****+ / (****)

The self assist debarkation procedure is fantastic!

Ship:

*** / (*****)

A lot of staterooms decks and not many common spaces, moreover very small.

Decorations and furnishings:

** / (*****)

A long ways to Italian taste. However beautiful thinking that it's an American ship, with a Vegas feeling !

Cleanliness:

*****+ / (*****)

Stateroom: cat 11 SUITE

*** / (*****)

Big and very clean but in poor taste and dull especially for the colos ( The same cabin on Costa seem to be bigger and more beautiful! )

Crew:

*****+ / (*****+)

flawless and very friendly.

Animation Staff:

*****+ / (***)

Outstanding, especially the Cruise Director... Woo-Hoo !

Shows:

*****+ / (****)

Amazing! Involving, especially the "Carnival Legend" show !!! Moreover a lot of clothes

Spa and thalassotherapy pool :

** / (*****)

Relaxation:

*** / (*****)

Food Quality:

* / (*****)

Few courses. Often cold, crummy and not much varied :( ( Logically for a cruise! It was however good and no end of ! :) )

Buffet:

*** / (*****)

Queue, queue and queue!

Again with Carnival ?

Absolutely YES... but only for the FUN and if at a good

price!

Again with Celebrity?

Absolutely YES, YES, YES !!! Always!

Regards from Italy,:)

ItalianGuest

PS

At all: Have FUN and have a fantastic Cruise! CIAO;)

... and sorry for my poor English!:o

Hello,

Thank you for writing, and please note that your command of the English language is excellent.

Ciao,

Fred

Thank you Fred.:)

I really hope that my review will be helpful!

Ciao, ItalianGuest

This is an interesting post and thank you for sharing. What made you sail Carnival after being a Celebrity fan? Was it itinerary? Was it the ship?

Just wondering. I sailed Carnival once and in the least rude way I can say this, will never sail it again even if it was free. Glad you had a great experience!

Cheers!

LOL....I think it's a pretty well known fact around the world that Carnival is the "McDonalds" of cruising. If you're under 25, or have a bunch of kids, you might enjoy it. I had to open this thread because I couldn't believe anyone would even TRY to compare Carnival vs. Celebrity...LOL

Good job though!!

Our first cruise (as many do) was on Carnival and we fell in love with cruising. Didn't take Carnival for over 10+ years again until last year when went with a group of 50+ on a New Years 5 day cruise out of a local port - great fun because of the group. We enjoyed the ship (old Carnival Fascination) because we were there for the group fun. The dining was nice and better than I was expecting. We are going on a Thanksgiving cruise on the same ship/cruise for a family outing - our kids can't get that much time off. That is the reason we'd go on Carnival, being Celebrity fans.

I would say, Carnival was enjoyable because we picked and chose what we took part in (I DON'T have a hairy chest, so didn't take part in any of the pool-games!), and used the cruise as a time to be with friends and family.

As I've said on another thread, I always look at the Celebrity itineraries to find what fits, and only look at other lines because of a special itinerary or to be with friends. We would like to take one of the upscale lines (Oceana or Azamara) to try the experience, but right now, we look to Celebrity as our starting point.

Denny

LOL....I think it's a pretty well known fact around the world that Carnival is the "McDonalds" of cruising. If you're under 25, or have a bunch of kids, you might enjoy it. I had to open this thread because I couldn't believe anyone would even TRY to compare Carnival vs. Celebrity...LOL

Good job though!!

Couldn't possibly be further from the truth. Please do a little research (like this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=824630) where some of those who have, egad, actually sailed on Carnival, find much of that line equal to, and in some cases superior to, Celebrity. We've sailed Carnival 5 times and Celebrity a dozen times in recent years and you may actually be surprised if you sailed on a Carnival ship in the 21st century.

LOL....I think it's a pretty well known fact around the world that Carnival is the "McDonalds" of cruising.

Maybe ten years ago. Not today -- Carnival has changed. There's a reason they're number 1 -- they provide a good product.

I am going on my second Celebrity Cruise in 2 weeks to Alaska this will be my second time on Celebrity. I have been on several princess cruises, but my last 2 cruises were on Carnival and I had a great time. My husband and I are in our late 50's we didn't see a bunch of 25 year olds or a bunch kids. We had great room stewards, great waiters and they couldn't do enough for us. So after my trip on celebrity I will report back.

Phyllis

Good job though!!

Well, many of who have cruised Carnival during the last couple of years can tell you that what you have stated is more of a well-know myth than a well-know fact.

DH and I have taken 3 Carnival cruises in the last 3 years. The first was just OK, but the last 2 were great. Did we have the same experience as we would have on a Celebrity cruise? Absolutely not. But the service was terrific, the food was pretty darn good (not the same dining experience as Celebrity, but the food was really good), the demographics were similar to Celebrity, and the accommodations were excellent. All in all, we has some great vacation experiences.

Celebrity is our favorite cruise line, but Carnival also provides a good product for a decent price. Equal to Celebrity? No. McDonalds? Hardly!

Oh, btw, the wildest partiers I've seen on a cruise were on two different Celebrity cruises - not on Carnival.

A few weeks ago we took a family reunion cruise from New York to Canada on Carnival Victory. Our group included five married couples and six children and everyone had a great time.

The ship was eight years old but looked much newer due to its excellent condition. We had a standard balcony cabin which was much larger than a comparable category in any mass market cruise line, with the exception of Holland America.

The food in the main dining room was very good and the level of service we received was amazing considering the crew to passenger ratio. Prior to taking this cruise I thought it would be impossible to get good service with such an unfavorable crew to passenger ratio but I was so wrong.

The only real disadvantage compared to Celebrity was its space to passenger ratio which made the ship feel crowded.

I have read a number of comments on this board about a different type of demographic but that was certainly not true on our cruise. There were a lot more children than on Celebrity but that was the only difference. It is also possible that a cruise between New York and Canada during prime season attracts a different type of passenger than on a warmer itinerary.

Within any particular cruise line you will find differences in the experience depending on ship and itinerary. There are 3 and 4 day Carnival cruises out of LA to Mexico. I doubt that Carnival ship (Paradise is the one I have sailed on) are indicative of ALL Carnival ships. The Paradise is OLD. It is worn. It is a floating frat house. That being said, I have gone 3 times on that ship for a 3 day cruise and had a great time every time. If I am going to take that cruise it is because we are going with friends and we all hang out together and have a great time for not very much money and we can drive to and park at the port. I would not want to go on the same cruise with just my wife and I. It is all the friends that are along that make it fun.

With the negatives in the above paragraph I have to say the staterooms feel large and spacious if a bit gaudy. The stewards did a great job and the food has always pleasantly surprised me. Not as good a Celebrity, but very good.

At the risk of being politically incorrect, the best comparison I can make between Carnival (Paradise only) and Celebrity (I have sailed on Mercury twice, Summit, Infinity and going on Connie in Oct) is that a Celebrity ship feels like walking into Nordstrom. Carnival feels like Wall Mart. Nothing wrong with either store and nothing wrong with the people that those stores target but both stores have a VERY different focus. For me I prefer Celebrity and the ambiance that they focus on.

Best,

Bruce

Good job though!!

this same topic came up about a week ago and many would differ with you. yes, the older ships and shorter itineraries appeal to the younger set, those who want to party and see nothing wrong with bringing an entire bar on the ship, hidden under their clothes. It is those types that give Carnival a bad name. Is it my favorite line? Absolutely NO, but I can assure you it isn't the McDonalds of cruising. In fact there is no line that should be rated that way. some ships yes, the overall line NO!!!

I think the difference lies in what you expect from a vacation. Snobs would not do well on many lines, Carnival being one of them...

Nita

We have not cruised CCL in years due to loving RCI. Now we are trying X and I am hoping htat is a step up from RCI. I am surely not hoping that there is any comparing these lines.

Hi Inshape :)

Itinerary, length of cruise, and the ship itself are more important factors than the cruise line.

Our 12 night cruise on RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas Cruise from Barcelona to the Greek Isles and Turkey in June was better than any of our Celebrity Cruises, with the exception of our 14 night Baltic cruise to Russia on Constellation, while a short cruise to the Bahamas on RCCL's older ships would be a totally different experience.

Similarly, a short Caribbean cruise on Celebrity's Century, with low per diem rates, is more comparable to a short Mexican or Caribbean cruise on Carnival or Royal Caribbean than it is to a European Cruise on a Celebrity ship during prime season.

LOL....I think it's a pretty well known fact around the world that Carnival is the "McDonalds" of cruising.

This is not unlike saying "it's a pretty well known fact that New Jersey is a polluted state rampant with mob corruption and fat people who talk funny." Those are stereotypes based on something that may or may not have been true at one time and limited to certain subsets.

This is not unlike saying "it's a pretty well known fact that New Jersey is a polluted state rampant with mob corruption and fat people who talk funny." Those are stereotypes based on something that may or may not have been true at one time and limited to certain subsets.

Hi YOW...great post and so true :)

I sailed by Celebrity Millie and Carnival Conquest in the past year. Here is my take:

Food- both have good food. Celebrity might be very slightly better but not much.

Service- good for both.

Ships- Totally different decor. Carnival is more Las Vegas style

Passenger Demographic- completely different. Carnival was more of a party crowd. I must say I did Celebrity in Alaska and Carnival in the Caribbean to be fair, however i have done Celebrity in the Caribbean in the past and Celebrity has a different crowd.

I sailed by Celebrity Millie and Carnival Conquest in the past year. Here is my take:

Food- both have good food. Celebrity might be very slightly better but not much.

Service- good for both.

Ships- Totally different decor. Carnival is more Las Vegas style

Passenger Demographic- completely different. Carnival was more of a party crowd. I must say I did Celebrity in Alaska and Carnival in the Caribbean to be fair, however i have done Celebrity in the Caribbean in the past and Celebrity has a different crowd.

good comparison; yes, Carnival is a livelier crowd and there are more on board activities and yes, the Caribbean is very different from Alaska. All mass marketed lines are more alike then different, it is just there are some cruisers, especially many truely loyal Celebrity fans that just think the line is heads up above all others. Probably no one will ever change their minds.

Nita

Good job though!!

Others have challenged the truth of this statement. I would like to challenge the wisdom of making such a statement to begin with. While you have every right to say whatever you like, presenting OPINION as fact is impolite and unhelpful. ...in my OPINION, at least...

Thank you Fred.:)

I really hope that my review will be helpful!

Ciao, ItalianGuest

Hi...My name is Sassaroli and I'm from Italy (near your Garda Lake...). On 2006 I have travelled with Celebrity Millennium and for me this is the best cruise company i've ever been (after the Windstar cruise).

However Carnival and celebrity are 2 different companies. The first, the Carnival offers a mass-market cruise (perhaps one for excellence) the second, Celebrity, is premium cruise line.

It is like comparing apples and arange!

Sorry for my English.

Ciao ItalianGuest (le consiglio un sito...crocieristi.it )!:D:D

Hi...My name is Sassaroli and I'm from Italy (near your Garda Lake...). On 2006 I have travelled with Celebrity Millennium and for me this is the best cruise company i've ever been (after the Windstar cruise).

However Carnival and celebrity are 2 different companies. The first, the Carnival offers a mass-market cruise (perhaps one for excellence) the second, Celebrity, is premium cruise line.

It is like comparing apples and arange!

Sorry for my English.

Ciao ItalianGuest (le consiglio un sito...crocieristi.it )!:D:D

Good afternoon Sassaroli,

and nice to meet you!

Yes, I know that one is a MM cruise line and other one a P but I've to say that their rates are often very similar... so, I think that a comparison must be do!

Regards,

ItalianGuest

PS

Grazie x l'indicazione; conosco già il sito ma, per ora, preferisco postare ancora solo ed unicamente su forum americani!

The McDonalds statement is very unfair to Carnival. We did a ta on Celebrity this spring. Two years ago we did a ta on the Carnival Liberty. The Liberty far exceeded the Connie. The food was better and the entertainment was way better. Just because we are seniors doesn't mean we don't enjoy some fun entertainment. Celebrity has way too many singers. The one exception was Perry Grant. He was great.:) We will continue to sail both as itinerary determines our choice in most cases.

Archived