Blu/AquaClass

ccod

I will say what my ONE concern with Blu is, given this new information about their open-seating (if it’s true)…and that is the fact that they have so MANY tables for two, and so FEW larger ones, in the drawings. I’m hoping that the reality is that they have many more larger tables. If Blu ends up being mostly two-fers, and no opportunity to mix it up with others, that will be a disappointment. :D

Hopefully those two seat tables will be able to be pushed together or separated - with relative ease - depending on the circumstances and pax requests.

• 1 month later...

HI LeeAnne

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your dining experience on Regent in 2005. It was great, wasn't it?

I just happened to be scrolling through the Cel. boards because we're going on the Mercury on Oct. 13 from Vancouver to San Diego. I saw your name and started reading. It's great to know you are still cruising and having fun.

Give our love to Betty!

Lorraine and Rudy

HI LeeAnne

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your dining experience on Regent in 2005. It was great, wasn't it?

I just happened to be scrolling through the Cel. boards because we're going on the Mercury on Oct. 13 from Vancouver to San Diego. I saw your name and started reading. It's great to know you are still cruising and having fun.

Give our love to Betty!

Lorraine and Rudy

LORRAINE & RUDY!!! How the heck are ya??? It's awesome to hear from you! I'll have to go find your email address and drop you a line to catch up. Yup, Mom and I are going on another Med cruise on Equinox next year - this one also has overnight stops in Alexandria and Israel. Mom made me promise to take her to the pyramids next, and that's what I'm doing! I'll be sure to say hello to her for you.

Please let me know when you'll be arriving in San Diego - maybe we can get together! If Kim and Paul are down at their Carlsbad condo, perhaps we could plan something. We have our son at the Army & Navy Academy in Carlsbad, so we actually stayed with them one weekend when we were down there visiting him.

Anyway, not to hijack this thread - it's just so wonderful to hear from you. Glad to see you are still out and about cruising. I've been on Mercury...it's a nice ship, but I fear the dining won't reach the same levels you've experienced on other cruises, and there's no specialty restaurant onboard. I can't WAIT to try the dining on Equinox - it sounds fabulous!

Here's a pretty big What If-----what if you have a certain percentage of passengers who are assigned to Blu, who find out, once they're on board, they do not like the menu for that restaurant? What would happen for them? Could they be assigned to the main restaurant then? From what's been said, Blu will have a healthy menu, is that correct? So, what if they have guests who decide they really dislike the menu choices? Does anyone think there will be alternatives?

Here's a pretty big What If-----what if you have a certain percentage of passengers who are assigned to Blu, who find out, once they're on board, they do not like the menu for that restaurant? What would happen for them? Could they be assigned to the main restaurant then? From what's been said, Blu will have a healthy menu, is that correct? So, what if they have guests who decide they really dislike the menu choices? Does anyone think there will be alternatives?

Darcie, believe me I've thought of this too. When I first started reading up on Blu, I was reading reports about "healthy" food and got concerned that it was going to be diet food - the LAST thing I want when I'm on vacation! Since then I've read reams of information about Blu, and even called Celebrity myself. The current information about Blu's menu is that it will NOT be "healthy" food per se - the word they are using is "clean" cuisine. They are actually going to great lengths to assure the public that this is not "spa" food (which is limited to the AquaSpa cafe), and that there will be adequate decadent choices on the menu. The difference is that they are focusing on "fresh" ingredients, and "clean" presentations, which they are defining as "reduction sauces, rather than cream sauces". That sounds great to me - reduction sauces (when done well) generally are far more flavorful than cream sauces anyway.

There is a sample Blu menu around here somewhere...I'll see if I can find it. Trust me, it does NOT sound like "Health food." Not a sprout in sight!

Anyway, as for alternatives, there ARE all those extra-charge specialty restaurants. And I anticipate that there will always be room in the main dining room for Aqua Class pax, considering that a percentage of the non AC pax are going to be dining in these specialty restaurants every night - not to mention the casual dining option. What I'm most curious about is, how are they planning on handling the logistics of all this?

Hi Everyone,

When we booked our Aquaclass room for the Eastern Med in May next year, we had to specify whether we wanted to be seated at a table for 4 or a table for 6. There was no option of a table for two. Interpret as you wish, but this suggests to me, that it is reserved seating. I haven't read this entire thread so apologies if I'm repeating info someone else has already posted. When you look at the 360 degree view of the room on the solstice webpage it seems that there are a handful of tables for 2 but that most seat 4 or 6 - perhaps all of the tables for 2 were already taken when we booked our cruise???? Who knows. As with most things, we will have to wait for some feedback from those on the first sailing!

Either way, I'm sure it will be fabulous!

http://www.cruisecelebritysolstice.com/#/dining/specialty/blu/

Simple answer - no one REALLY knows. The answer you get today may change tomorrow or more likely after the first 3-5 sailings when 'operations in reality' rear their head.

It is my understanding that - yes - it is exclusively for AQ passengers and 'above'. In present incarnation, *I believe* Suite passengers need pay a cover charge. I believe are the operational words here. :)

Once Solstice has had a few sailings, how everything is working will be evalutated and things may change. Thus what is today *the policy* may not be tomorrow *the policy*.

What I'm wondering is -- why do you care? If you'd like to book AQ then do so. That will allow YOU to dine in Blu should & when you choose to. What difference does it make if someone else can pay a cover and dine there also? And that will only happen if AQ folks decide to dine elsewhere.

I'm sorry but I don't see the problem nor the point of the question. Perhaps you might further enlighten as to your concerns?

Why don't you see the problem or the point of the question?? What an odd post! She didn't have a problem, just a question... and we all ask them for different reasons. The only question I have to you is why you would take the time to answer it this way??

I would like to know about Blu because after reading about the dining options there, I don't think I would like to have to dine here every night. It appears it will be different than the dining room. No one knows for sure, but I sure can't wait to hear.

Leejnd4... Exactly!!! that is what I worried about with Blu. I am just not sure that the food there is really what I want???

Anyone know if you are in Aqua class if you can dine in the regular dining room?? Or no?? It would be awesome if you could eat at any of the specialty places:)

Leejnd4... Exactly!!! that is what I worried about with Blu. I am just not sure that the food there is really what I want???

Anyone know if you are in Aqua class if you can dine in the regular dining room?? Or no?? It would be awesome if you could eat at any of the specialty places:)

You are definitely able to eat in any of the specialty restaurants any night you want, provided you make reservations. I plan on eating in them at least several times on our cruise - more, if we find we're not thrilled with Blu.

As for AC pax dining in the main dining room, I know there are a number of threads that delved into the various things that Celebrity has said about this - and the story has definitely changed over time. As I recall, the last official word on this was that YES, AC pax can dine in the MDR, provided there is space available. What none of us know yet is how this is going to be handled logistically. As I said earlier, there will surely be at least some open spaces due to all the other places onboard that pax will surely be dining...but how will the Maitre'd know when someone won't be using their assigned spot? These are mysteries that have yet to be solved.

Oh, but I do love a good mystery! :)

Blu is the assigned dining room for all AquaClass guests, whereas all other guests will have their assigned dining in the main dining room. Blu is open for dinner, and a continental breakfast for Suite and AquaClass guests (Lunch is not served in Blu.)

Although AquaClass guests will be assigned to either main or second seating, Blu will feature open dining, and therefore guests will not be assigned to specific tables.

Dining in Blu will be complimentary and guaranteed for all AquaClass guests. However, if there is space available, Suite guests will be able to dine in Blu at no additional charge (except for a recommended $5/guest gratuity)

If AquaClass guests would like to be seated in the main dining room, they cannot make these arrangements pre-cruise -- they must be made onboard with the maitre'd.

Additionally, if a portion of a family is in AquaClass, and the remainder of the family is not, or if multiple bookings are sailing together and are not all AquaClass staterooms, please note that arrangements to be seated together in the main dining room will have to be made onboard, and will only be accommodated if space is available.

You are definitely able to eat in any of the specialty restaurants any night you want, provided you make reservations. I plan on eating in them at least several times on our cruise - more, if we find we're not thrilled with Blu.:)

....and provided you pay the assigned fee for that specialty restaurant. ;) I would assume that Blu is the only specialty venue that is included in the AquaClass.

However, having looked at the sample menu that was posted, I cannot imagine not wanting to eat there. It is a perfect menu for DH and I anyway. As I looked at it, I was disappointed that we were only going to have 7 nights to try different selections - we will have to leave some for another cruise..... :eek: :( :D

....and provided you pay the assigned fee for that specialty restaurant. ;) I would assume that Blu is the only specialty venue that is included in the AquaClass.

However, having looked at the sample menu that was posted, I cannot imagine not wanting to eat there. It is a perfect menu for DH and I anyway. As I looked at it, I was disappointed that we were only going to have 7 nights to try different selections - we will have to leave some for another cruise..... :eek: :( :D

Yes, there's a fee for the other specialty restaurants. I've read some threads in which people are saying Blu is no longer considered a "specialty" restaurant per se - it's really the MDR for the AC pax. However, if you go on the Celebrity website to it's Solstice Class site, if you click on "Dining", and then "Specialty", Blu is listed in there.

As for the menu in Blu - I'm assuming that it's going to change nightly, the way the MDR does. If not, I would not be pleased. Considering Blu IS our main dining room, it wouldn't really be fair to saddle us with the exact same menu every night (and I'm on a 12-nighter, so that would be a little too much sameness for that long). As delectable as it looks, I wouldn't want to be stuck with the same one night after night.

Has anyone heard anything from Celebrity on that? This is something I just kind of assumed, but I realize now I haven't actually read anything about it.

I agree with you. DH & I are excited about Blu. The sample menu looks fine. We are traveling with friends & so far we are in agreement. We may try another spec.restaurant as we are celebrating both anniversaries, DH x 2 birthdays. Right now IMHO I think we should all wait until an actual sailing & reports for menus, ship layout/beauty etc. In the meanwhile enjoy the photos, videos etc. that have been posted. Carolyn Spencer Brown we want sooo much more info & photos

Carole

Yes, there's a fee for the other specialty restaurants. I've read some threads in which people are saying Blu is no longer considered a "specialty" restaurant per se - it's really the MDR for the AC pax. However, if you go on the Celebrity website to it's Solstice Class site, if you click on "Dining", and then "Specialty", Blu is listed in there.

As for the menu in Blu - I'm assuming that it's going to change nightly, the way the MDR does. If not, I would not be pleased. Considering Blu IS our main dining room, it wouldn't really be fair to saddle us with the exact same menu every night (and I'm on a 12-nighter, so that would be a little too much sameness for that long). As delectable as it looks, I wouldn't want to be stuck with the same one night after night.

Has anyone heard anything from Celebrity on that? This is something I just kind of assumed, but I realize now I haven't actually read anything about it.

It would not matter to me if it was the same menu the whole cruise (as it is in the other specialty restaurants) - if it were the same as the one posted on "thepreismans" site. :) As I said, there are more than 7 appetisers and more than 7 entrees that I would enjoy trying. Yummmmmm....

I will be happy whichever it turns out to be.

It would not matter to me if it was the same menu the whole cruise (as it is in the other specialty restaurants) - if it were the same as the one posted on "thepreismans" site. :) As I said, there are more than 7 appetisers and more than 7 entrees that I would enjoy trying. Yummmmmm....

I will be happy whichever it turns out to be.

Yes but...I'm there for 12 nights! I'm sure I'll go to the specialty restaurants at least a few nights, but that will still leave more than 7 nights in Blu. And while I think the menu looks scrumptious and can't wait to try it, not every entree on there appeals to me...and I'd rather not have to repeat. That, to me, would be a detriment to Aqua Class. Hey, the rest of the passengers don't have to repeat - they get a new menu every night. I would consider it a negative to not get a new menu as well -- even if it's not every night.

But like I said before, these are all mysteries that we will watch as they unfold. I am enjoying the discoveries! :)

Yes but...I'm there for 12 nights! I'm sure I'll go to the specialty restaurants at least a few nights, but that will still leave more than 7 nights in Blu. And while I think the menu looks scrumptious and can't wait to try it, not every entree on there appeals to me...and I'd rather not have to repeat. That, to me, would be a detriment to Aqua Class. Hey, the rest of the passengers don't have to repeat - they get a new menu every night. I would consider it a negative to not get a new menu as well -- even if it's not every night.

While I won't claim to know the answers to this concern, it's hard for me to believe that the Blu menus will not rotate given what we know so far, not least of which is =X='s reputation as a 'foodie' cruiseline and the fact that it is the premium-priced AQ pax assigned dining room. Besides, all the menus provided at the Solstice preview party (http://www.thepreismans.com/) were intended to be samples only. These were displayed for all the ship's restaurants and none of them indicated they were the only menu items provided thruout the entire cruise.

Having said that, I would think that that the other specialty restaurants (at least Murano) will have static menus.

• 4 weeks later...
We booked Solstice thinking we would have assigned dining, which we thought included a table. Hopefully, Blu has enough two seaters to accommodate those who want to eat as a couple.

From these pictures, there appear to be plenty of tables for two in Blu:

The layout seems true to the deck plan, which shows this configuration:

• 47 tables for 2 (94 pax)
  • 6 tables for 4 (24)
  • 2 tables for 6 (12)

I called Celebrity to find out if we could book an AquaClass cabin but also be able to eat in the main dining room, as we have relatives traveling with us who cannot book AQ as there are three to a room. The answer was that I could request from the Restaurant manager but there are no guarantees. This is one of the downsides of AQ if you are traveling with other groups of friends or family members.

Archived