Intercontinental Vs Holiday Inn Port of Miami

Sparkle 123

Hi

I know I can rely on cruise critics for some advice!!

I am looking at booking either the Intercontinental Downtown or the Holiday Inn POM with my Priority points for one night pre cruise in December. I can get a king bed suite at the Holiday Inn or a superior room at the Intercontinental with my reward points. Which should I go for? The Intercontinental is obviously a better class of hotel but are the food and drinks way overpriced? Would love to hear your opinions to help me decide!

Thanks

IMO, there is no comparison. It's apples and oranges, as they say, but I think you've already noted that. The HI POM is a place to lay your head pre-cruise; there is absolutely nothing spectacular about it. Sorry, that may upset or offend some, but I would never stay there again. The Intercontinental is an entirely different class of hotel and a much better one, at that. If the room is free on your points, I would go with the Intercontinental, hands down. So if the drinks and food are a few dollars more, isn't it worth it to be in a better hotel? :D

Obviously, as stated... JMHO.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn - Port of Miami last week. I was a little hesitant because of what I had read on here but as a Priority Club member they had me on the top (10th) floor. The room had been refurbished and was in excellent condition overlooking Bayside and the port. (Unfortunately no cruise ships in port while I was there.) The room and bathroom were spotless.

If the cost to stay is the same number of points, definitely do the IC. If it eats up fewer points to stay at the HI, I'd stay there. The HI is also conveniently across the street from Bayside Marketplace which is handly.

BobK/Orlando

We stayed at the Holiday Inn POM for a pre-cruise overnight in January. We had the King suite. The best part of the hotel is the location. You are right across the street from the Bayside Market and you have great views of the ships from your room. Check out our pictures of the room and Bayside Market at our album here .

Michael

Thanks for all your replies and sharing your photos Michael, the king suite does look a nice room.

The Intercontinental is 5000 more points than the Holiday Inn so I am leaning towards the HI as its only for 1 night and we will have a nice room but the chance to stay at the Intercontinental for free is very appealing too and would be a nice start to our Chrismas break, hmmm..... decisions decisions, guess I'll ask my hubby when he comes in from work;)

Thanks for all your replies and sharing your photos Michael, the king suite does look a nice room.

The Intercontinental is 5000 more points than the Holiday Inn so I am leaning towards the HI as its only for 1 night and we will have a nice room but the chance to stay at the Intercontinental for free is very appealing too and would be a nice start to our Chrismas break, hmmm..... decisions decisions, guess I'll ask my hubby when he comes in from work;)

I would vote for the InterContinental hands down. This is a beautiful hotel and a great location. I guess I look at it as a wonderful chance to spend a night at a great hotel. But you need to do what you think is right. None of us can tell you if it is worth the extra 5000 points.

Laura

If you aren't saving or can't use the extra 5,000 points toward another upcoming trip, I'd go Intercontinental. You can get drinks and dinner at Bayside if you are concerned about it being too high in the hotel. The walk to Bayside is only 5 min. more than the HI.

We were upgraded to a suite in the HI and it was ok. Lots of room and nice view. But for one night, didn't even need that. We were out and about most of the time. You might feel the HI is good enough for the night you're there. Have a wonderful time.

I got a room at the IC for one nights stay after our cruise.....we booked it through a link that was provided here on this forum...and got a incredible rate of 131.00!! :D So I am very excited to stay at the IC even if it's only one night....

Can't say much for HI, but have stayed at ICON and have no regrets! Its elegent, yet homey and freindly. Stayed on the 11th floor and loved the view from big widow in the morning...all those ships!! So exciting!! Really gets you hyped for the big embarkation and lazy days ahead. The Market is close and you can always try BUBBA GUMPS...get a coupon from their website.

Thanks for all your advice. I think I'm going to go with the Intercontinental, after all it will be a great way to start our Christmas:)

Lisa

Good choice.

Be sure to come back and tell us what you thought of the hotel.

Laura

Archived