Messina and Naples Ideas

We will be on the 9/24 HAL Rome Empire cruise. Has anyone sailed the same itinerary with recommendations for Messina or escursions? Also we saw the awesome Popeii in 2006 so looking for another option.

Thanks CC.

In Messina, I would highly recommend a trip to Taormina. It's a beautiful town perched high on a cliff overlooking the sea filled with shops, charming cafes, and an ancient Greco-Roman theatre with a spectacular view of Mt. Etna. We did the ships' guided tour, but there's really no need for a guide. Just get there and explore on your own. It's wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing HAL's Roman Empire cruise next year! Although my cruise doesn't have a stop in Naples.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if you are looking for a private tour in Messina or in Naples... if you are, I've been told that Driver In Rome does a great private tour in both locations.

http://www.driverinrome.com

I used them 2 years ago on my Med cruise in both Rome and Florence/Pisa and I thought they were fantastic.

I was there a week ago. A word to the wise about Messina if it's a Sunday....everything's closed! I had originally thought it would be a nice place to stroll around and relax, and while there were beautiful things about the city, I do think getting out of town is your best option. We did the Hop On, Hop Off tour which was fun....BUT they say it's one hour...it was 45 minutes (perhaps because there was no traffic on Sunday?). It stayed on the main street, Via Garibaldi, for a good portion. We had just experienced a wonderful HOHO the previous day in Malta (blue line), which was 3 hours, so 45 min. for the same price (15 EUR) seemed a little much (although if you show your receipt you will get a discount in any city!). I am grateful for it, though, because the only other thing "happening" was the famous "noon at the Clock Tower". Time was a factor for me (we only had from 7am-1pm in port), so I played it safe. We still had a great time, but if I could re-do it, I would risk motion-sickness and take a ride out to Taormina or to Mt. Etna.

From the port of Naples there are many options. As you have been to Pompeii and would like to do something else,One can go to Herculaneum. It is a resort city that was covered in mud when Vesuvius erupted and covered Pompeii in ash. It is a much smaller site but more details were left.

You can take a ride down the Amalfi coast which is lovely. Another alternative is to spend the day in Capri and visit The Blue Grotto.

Since some of these choices have been more than 30 years ago, someone can tell you more about then. Herculaneum is my choice but these are my reasons to travel. I was there last November and found it wonderful. I am still hoping to go to The National Archaeological Museum in Nap;es but it seems that I am always there on Tuesdays when they are closed

Fran

We will be on the 9/24 HAL Rome Empire cruise. Has anyone sailed the same itinerary with recommendations for Messina or escursions? Also we saw the awesome Popeii in 2006 so looking for another option.

Thanks CC.

I have been to Naples many times my grandparents were from Italy. 2 years ago I went to another archaeological area near Pompeii. I saw a Roman villa, it was amazing .

Archived