Hot Flash question, What is the ships ususal temperature?

sail-a-bration

We are going to Alaska so I am having packing problems. I get hot very easily so I need to know what is the average temperature on board the ship. I have all of these long sleeve sweaters and tops picked out but if it is in the 70's on board I will be miserable. Also I am most comfortable in jeans and T shirts, is that Ok for day time cruise wear, if so back in the closet go all of those long sleeve shirts. I like the temperature in the high 60's and do not switch to long sleeve shirts until closer to the 50's. All you hot flashers I need in put.

Hi Sail! Pack according to your own internal temperature. Bring short-sleeve shirts and keep a sweater or jacket in your room that you can grab (or carry) just in case you get chilly.

This has been a very bad weather summer in Alaska so expect cool temps outside and lots of rain (t-shirt with a rain jacket over it). But remember, if it is sunny, 70 feels like 80 there. My only cruise to Alaska was in May 2004, and they were having unseasonably warm dry weather. I had only packed sweaters and just about died of heat stroke in each port.

When the ship is moving, it's pretty cold outside so you can always cool off with a walk around the promenade.

Jeans are just fine on the ship and in ports during the day. Just be comfortable and enjoy yourself! You'll love Alaska - great scenery.

I'll step out of my meat locker long enough to try to help. :D

You need to think "layer". Bring some t-shirts, and something with sleeves to cover it. Then a jacket---there will still be times (at the glaciers, for example) when you'll need that, too. Put some gloves in the jacket pocket before you pack it. They'll be right where you need them, when you need them.

Inside the ship will be cool enough, but not cold---at least in the public areas. There will be "hot-spots" where you might be warm while others are happy to have found them.

The biggest problem area is likely to be your cabin. I have never had a cabin that's cold enough, even with the thermometer at it's lowest setting.

Whatever the temp---have a great time in The Great Land. :)

Gotta go cool down---it's up to 70 in here! :D

We have done quite a few Alsakan cruise on various HAL ships.

Yes -- they do turn down the air conditioning all over the ships. Dining room, lounges and show room can be warm!!

DH takes quite a few medications -- a couple of which he reacts to warm temerpatures!!

We end up sitting on our verandah for a couple of hours late in the evening.

RuthC has it right: plan for layers. That's the best advice I can offer.

We cruised Panama Canal last year on the repositioning cruise from Alaska (and are doing it again this year). The ship's interior was indeed set to "Meat Locker". Everybody remarked on how cold the ship was. The Hotel Manager said it was because the ship had been chilled in Alaska all summer, and they needed to keep the interior cold then s l o w l y bring up the temperature as they cruised South to avoid stressing the ship.

He may have been blowing smoke at us, but he certainly sounded official. Who can tell me what the true story is?? (So I can prepare for this year's Meat Locker.....lol...)

This topic never used to interest me . . . until a couple of years ago when "it" happened to me. 17 times in 1 day. I went to the Dr and told him I was absolutely not going to live that way. He prescribed a medication (which is usually for high blood pressure which I don't have) that works on the upper vascular system. Voila! I'm a happy camper. Only the odd little "flush" and I'm able to keep them under control by taking a good drink of really cold water.

I would suggest layering as well - a cami or tank top covered with a cotton shirt, which can then be topped with a long sleeved t-shirt, sweatshirt or bunny hug. Add or delete layers as you need them for comfort. Enjoy your cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

sail-a-bration - Being a member of the HF club, I feel your pain. While I've never sailed Alaska, I have found most ships' interiors to be too dang hot.

Quick story for you:

My husband and I were dining in the Pinnacle with a sweet young couple we met on the Noordam. (that would be AlohaPride and Keaka) Well, this darling girl couldn't stand watching me constantly fanning myself with the menu. Next port - she bought me a fan. (the accordion fold paper type) I strutted around that ship looking like some tired old Spanish dancer. I felt a little silly, at first, but I wish I had a dollar for every woman who said they wished they'd thought of that...I wish I had thought of that.

That fan cruises with me everywhere. The waiters are happier too, getting their menus back.

You may want to look into bringing one with you. - a fan, not a waiter ;)

Oh boy, am I "Having a Heat Wave, a Personal Heat Wave," moment. I would recommend packing with layers as others have suggested. maybe a few matchng twin sets (Shell and Sweater). Amd ask if you can spend some time in the freezer. I am sure you will have company. Also drink a lot of frozen fru-fru drinks .:D

And I LOVE the fan idea. I will have to get me several. Not only for cruisng, but for every day usage.

CC member Mary Ellen brought a battery-operated personal fan on our trip to South America. She loaned it to me as we toured hot Buenos Aires. What a relief!

I suggest anyone who needs to keep cool look into purchasing one.

Yes, a small battery operated fan! I have one and it is a life saver.

At our grandson's grad, sitting outside, in the sun in 90 degree heat

I was very glad for my fan and everyone around me was wishing they

had one too. the fans are very light weight, not even a pound and take up a little space in the luggage but are so worth it. Some luggage stores sell palm size fans - wish I could find one here but not so far.

Re: clothes - I wear short sleeves almost exclusively but in the

evening I carry a lightweight shawl in case they refrigerate the dining

room and show room - which happened on one cruise - the air blew right

at our table and they said they couldn't fix it - we were wrapping our

arms in the table cloth the first night - after that we brought jackets

to dinner. You never know what you will get onboard ship.

I also requested a fan for our cabin on our Panama Canal cruise last fall. I asked the steward about it as soon as we got to our stateroom. He magically produced an oscillating fan and a power strip. Still LOVE that steward!

Robin (who has NEVER been cold on a cruise ship!)

Archived