Best Way to Pack?

secretv2

Some roll their clothes, but I can't seem to get the hang of that--they come out looking like they've been rolled up!

I iron everything that needs ironing, then pack layering either tissue paper or drycleaning bags inbetween anything that may wrinkle in the suitcase. Shorts and tees--I don't worry about too much.

If you can keep the clothes slipping in the suitcase (which is the purpose of the bag or paper) then they won't wrinkle.

I roll all but the dressy items. We're fortunate to go from a nearby port so can take more luggage without worrying too much so I'll take one with all roll up clothes and one for dressy stuff. I also bought a travel size of downy wrinkle release, which I like or you can get a small spary bottle to fill with water and use for cutting wrinkles. I'll probably water down the wrinkle release to make it last longer anyway.

I find that rolling helps to pack things tighter and prevent movement which means less wrinkles. Lay your clothes out and make sure they are smooth, then roll.

I also take along the Downy Wrinkle Release - love it. Not only does it help with wrinkles, it is great to refresh your clothes for another wear. I love the smell the stuff. As soon as I get my suitcase, I unpack, hangup everything I can and give my clothes a quick spray with Downy.

I pack in dry cleaner bags and rarely have wrinkles. Advice about rolling clothes that are knit, like T-shirts, is good and packing so things don't shift is a great idea. I use packing folders and cubes as well, but not a lot of them, one or two per suitcase.

Interesting about the Downey Wrinkle Release and opinions of it. I find it does little in the way of removing wrinkles and I can't stand the smell of it. That it lingers after your clothes are dry is very annoying to me, I don't want my clothes to smell like anything. Of course, I'm also the type that buys all products unscented if I can and I don't wear cologne. It's great that we all get our own choice, though :)

I just tried those zip lock bags you can get at Walmart on a trip and I love them. The clothes were packed for two days before they were taken out of the bags. They gave me so much more room in my bag but you would have to watch the weight if you were flying. I was amazed when I took the clothes out of the bags when I arrived and there was not any wrinkles. These bags keep your clothes from slipping around. The ones I bought at Walmart had 4 bags in a box, 2 large and 2 meduim sized and they were $12.95.

I just repacked to go home and put all my dirty clothes in one and my clean ones in the other...........works great!!!

I used to use the 2-gallon zip lock bags but I can't seem to find them anymore. I've been rolling things lately and that works for casual clothes. I haven't tried them for dressy things though. Rick Steves uses the roll method for what it's worth.

Hi. I am going on my first cruise in Oct/Nov (NCL Jade Athens to Istanbul) but we are seasoned travelers doing at least 2 air trips per year and we ALWAYS do carry-on luggage when we fly, and we love the rolling method. The key is to wrap clothes around a round core (a plastic bag full of undies works nicely) and put the clothes most likely to wrinkle on the outside (larger circumference). This is an oversimplification of the method; it is best to Google the subject and find the actual diagram of how to roll when there are sleeves involved, which is tricky. I like to make about 2 or 3 rolls and fit them snugly in my case. Things don't wrinkle if they have round edges! (is that an oxymoron?).

Sometimes you have to keep experimenting to find what's best for you.

Happy sailing,

Nona

I used to use the 2-gallon zip lock bags but I can't seem to find them anymore. I've been rolling things lately and that works for casual clothes. I haven't tried them for dressy things though. Rick Steves uses the roll method for what it's worth.

I have done this for years, but now I use the 2 1/2 gal zip loc bags. Try Target. I have not had any trouble finding them, but I have not looked lately. Since I re use them, I have not needed any. But if you find them, you should buy two or three boxes, that way you will have a good supply on hand.

I fold the clothes very carefully, so they slide right into the bag, with little room on the sides. I can get maybe 3 tops and a pair of shorts in one, or two prs of caprs and two tops. It all depends on the thickness of the clothes. I do not have problems with wrinkling. These bags work great. Anyone that cruises with me knows I seldom unpack, gives them more drawer or shelpf space. I leave the clothes in the bags until I need them, with the exception of the formal stuff, that I do hang soon as I can. I use a squarish duffle bag type luggage. I put the bags in the duffle, kkinda like one would file a folder in a drawer. So when I need something I flip thru the bags and pull out what I want. I also take along one or two empty ones for the dirty clothes.

I have never priced the really b igger bags that others say they use, but the ones I use are not that costly and they work.

Annieeee

Archived