Dawn Late into NYC on the 24th

Cleetuss

My travel agent just called me and told me that due to a medical emergency on the Dawn, the ship had to go back to Nassua and will now be late arriving in the NYC harbor.

I'm going to call NCL to confirm but has anyone else heard this?

Chris

Yes: please check our roll call page. I also called NCL and was told they expect to be in NY @ 2PM and embarkation to begin at 4:30

Bill

I called also... They told me it would depart at 4:30.

Humm... I hate when a corporation can't get their stories straight.

Is there anywhere on the peir to get out of the cold (bever departed from NYC before) I'll be traveling with an Infant.

Chris

I was told by NCL that bad weather is causing the delay (along w/ the Majesty). Other people were told it was due to a medical emergency. Apparently, NCL can't get their story straight.

We were told that another ship (not named) was having trouble getting into port on time, and the Dawn would have to wait offshore until that ship made it in. I wish NCL would decide what story they're going to tell passengers before they say anything....it's getting harder and harder to believe anything they say! You know, there have been several postings over the last few months where people say NCL is not truthful with their passengers, and I'm beginning to think it's true.

We were told that another ship (not named) was having trouble getting into port on time' date=' and the Dawn would have to wait offshore until that ship made it in. I wish NCL would decide what story they're going to tell passengers before they say anything....it's getting harder and harder to believe anything they say! You know, there have been several postings over the last few months where people say NCL is not truthful with their passengers, and I'm beginning to think it's true.[/quote']

The key fact is it will be late. Why it could be a combination of all the issued raised. With the storm north of Bermuda the Majesty will be very late and I assume it wil make the CCl ship late as well. The Dawn made have had a medical issue and can not make up time because of the same rough seas. They may in fact haver to wait for the pilot boat that is responsible for all the ships.

I don't think it is a truthfull thing so much as a low level CS rep sharing the best info they have. Ever been sitting in an airport an hour after you were supposed to depart and called the 800 number only to be told your flight was on time?

We had to turn back and go to Freeport to get a sick psgr to a hospital. The waters are very bad as well. both are causing the delay into NYC. They do not know exactly when we are getting into NYC. The captain says no earlier than 2pm and no later than 4pm. It depends on the water conditions and whether or not we can pick up speed over the night. But the way it looks the waters are getting worse................All I can recommend is please take some type of motion sickness pill before getting on the ship tomorrow. You have no iea how bad it is. As far as the rest of the cruise experience it was prety good....but I think I will stick with my regular cruise line Royal Caribbean. The passenger type is much better.

As far as the rest of the cruise experience it was prety good....but I think I will stick with my regular cruise line Royal Caribbean. The passenger type is much better.

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Passenger type? What is that exactly? Isn't Dawn a "passenger type ship"? Now I am really curious! :D

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Passenger type? What is that exactly? Isn't Dawn a "passenger type ship"? Now I am really curious! :D

I will be interested to here as well. There were lots of posts about the passenger mix when the ship first began to cruise out of NY. I have been on the Dawn when the ship was in Miami as well as NY and there is a very different mix.

Naturally you are going to get a very high concentration of passengers from the Northeast and it can be a demanding group. Not saying it is a better or worse group but a mix like no other port.

We had a similar problem on the Dawn in June, 2002, having to turn back to allow an infant asthmatic patient to be hospitalized. The child's life was saved, so that was the main thing.

We arrived sometime around four, but due to some foreign passengers who did not report, we didn't leave the ship until well after six. We heard that NCL had set up lots of tables and chairs for embarding passengers, and they were fed sandwiches and cookies, as I recall.

Our disembarking was also impacted by the housekeeping staff trying to get the cabins ready for incoming passengers. We had to wait in our rooms or at least in the area, while they kept paging the passengers who did not report. The biggest problem I heard of was that passengers were allowed to make some no charge ship to shore calls home to inform family and friends we would be late. Unfortunately the billing system charged many or all of the calls to the cabins, and it was pretty hectic for everyone trying to balance their accounts.

We arrived home in Connecticut after 9 PM, a late day Fathers Day dinner followed.

We just rolled with the punches as the child's health was the main issue. We did get several reports during the day on Saturday and Sunday, that the youngster was doing well, and would be OK.

We were on the Sept 19th Dawn and I CAN beleive how bad the weather is!

My husband ate the seasick pills like candy and was still sick.I wasn't sick but I was very frightened.It was our first cruise, but it will not put me off going again.

I looked at the Majesty webcam yesterday and it looked like they were having a rough ride and both it and the Dawn does't look much better

weather wise.I do feel sorry for those cruisers.

Having only sailed out of NYC I have to say I thought the people were great.I met and still keep in touch with New Yorkers and I must say I thought they were alot of fun.

Good morning.

If the Dawn will be docked close to 50th Street, where on 12th Ave. should I have my ride drop me off?

I've heard you can get to the Port of NY piers via 47th St. Is there also a way across on 51st?

I have a 4-yr-old, and don't want to have to walk farther than we have to.

Bad weather and rough seas are really a crap shoot on almost any cruise. We sailed the Dawn 11 day cruise on January 25th and had fairly calm seas both ways. In fact, the Captain remarked on our return to New York that we experienced the calmest seas he ever encountered off Cape Hatteras in winter. Under any weather conditions, I still think it beats trying to fly to Florida in a snowstorm and wondering if you will connect with your cruise.

Good morning.

If the Dawn will be docked close to 50th Street, where on 12th Ave. should I have my ride drop me off?

I've heard you can get to the Port of NY piers via 47th St. Is there also a way across on 51st?

I have a 4-yr-old, and don't want to have to walk farther than we have to.

I have always been picked up on 48th. There is a crosswalk there and easy access to the pier area. The Dawn was usually at pier 88 except for a few weeks last winter after the ship damaged the pier and they used pier 90.

Just got off the phone with NCL, now they say the Dawn wont be in until 6pm, and embarkation wont start until 8:30pm. One good thing he did say was that the seas have calmed down alot. I sure hope so, Ill be on that ship tonight!

Should be a long day at the pier for many who are not online. Wouldn't you know it the bridge cams are locked up again this weekend and the EPS north webcam is down. It would be nice for those in the NYC area to track the arrival. They could leave home after they see the ship arrive.

Archived