Movies in HAL Theaters

mikjr

Since we have our first HAL cruise coming soon... I'm just curious as to how current the movies are in HALS movie theaters? Are they new release "IN theater" current? or DVD release current?

Also, even while on vacation, I enjoy keeping current on the news. What news programs does HAL broadcast and TV and does HAL provide a daily newspaper?

Since we have our first HAL cruise coming soon... I'm just curious as to how current the movies are in HALS movie theaters? Are they new release "IN theater" current? or DVD release current?

Also, even while on vacation, I enjoy keeping current on the news. What news programs does HAL broadcast and TV and does HAL provide a daily newspaper?

The movies are not in theater current but I think they are newer then DVD release current. I find them to be pretty good actually. The news program in CNN but I think it's usually the international one so I think it kind of sucks. They have a newspaper of sorts they delivered to the cabin daily. It's sort of a summary of the more major news stories. I'm not much of a news person so there could be more complete papers on the ship. Hopefully someone can answer that question better.

P.S Keep the Statendam in good shape for my Nov. cruise please:D .

When we were aboard ship every morning there was a 4 sheets giving a break down on latest news in Canada and weather since we were Canadians. The people across from us were from Australia and got latest news from home also. noticed one other from Great Britain, and of course the USA. I hope this helps:) :)

Movies on cruise ships are rarely, if ever, 1st run. My guess is that the movies come from the same sources as in-flight or other non-theater movies and a further guess is that they are on DVD. Some of them are fairly current but if a movie is opening August 25th, you won't find it on a plane or cruise ship September 1st.

Is that true on the Oosterdam, which still does not have the Explorations Cafe "powered by the NY Times"?

I haven't sailed the Oosterdam, and didn't notice when I was on the Prinsendam (also prior to the switch-over).

But I did notice where the link came up on the E-dam. And I'm certain that the computer screen where the link was looked the same as it did on the Prinsendam.

It makes sense to me (I know that logic doesn't always come into play) that the computer program is the same once you sign on in the Internet Center to DigitalSeas. They've always looked the same and operated in the same fashion, unless there was a universal change (like how you renew for a new package).

Is there a charge to use the Internet there?

There's a charge to use the Internet. The charge is $3.95 to sign up, then a per minute, or per plan charge. The plans are 100 minutes for $55, or 250 minutes for $100. When you sign up for a plan on the first day there are bonus minutes given.

On the E-dam, those bonus minutes were also given every time you renewed a plan. I've never seen that on other ships.

This is to access your e-mail, use the ship's e-mail (which has additional charges), and to access most Internet sites.

The HAL and the New York Times websites can be accessed free of charge, however. The links are on the same page as the sign-in.

There's a charge to use the Internet. The charge is $3.95 to sign up, then a per minute, or per plan charge. The plans are 100 minutes for $55, or 250 minutes for $100. When you sign up for a plan on the first day there are bonus minutes given.

On the E-dam, those bonus minutes were also given every time you renewed a plan. I've never seen that on other ships.

Is there a time the first "day" that you have to sign up by to get the bonus minutes? Can you use your package for either the ship's computers or your own Wi-Fi? I probably won't bring my computer in October but if I did, it would be nice to know I could use the same package.

Is there a time the first "day" that you have to sign up by to get the bonus minutes?

I've seen this done two ways. The usual way is you must sign up by midnight of the day you board. On one cruise, though, the Internet Manager gave us 24 hours after boarding to sign up and get the bonus minutes. Nice guy. :)

Can you use your package for either the ship's computers or your own Wi-Fi?

The same plan can be used both ways. There was a time when you needed two plans to use the two computer set ups---they were not interchangeable. Thankfully, at least for those who bring a laptop, that's no longer the case.

Archived