Azipod on the Pearl

TMLAalum

Salty Dingo -

If we had to cancel the float plane trip taking us to see the bear out of Ketchikan because of the Pearl's problems, I would be more than a little disappointed.

Which reminds me - how was YOUR bear tour out of Ketchikan on the 8th?

Just off the Pearl and I can attest to the fact that our time in Victoria was cut short due to a late arrival (8 PM instead of 6 PM), but passengers were permitted to get off the ship for 4 hours or so. We ended up sailing thru the inside passage on the return trip instead of the "outside" route due to extremely rough seas which slowed us down a bit. It was pretty rocky even on the inside, but no problems. No other port time was cut short.

Just off the Pearl and I can attest to the fact that our time in Victoria was cut short due to a late arrival (8 PM instead of 6 PM), but passengers were permitted to get off the ship for 4 hours or so. We ended up sailing thru the inside passage on the return trip instead of the "outside" route due to extremely rough seas which slowed us down a bit. It was pretty rocky even on the inside, but no problems. No other port time was cut short.

What a wonderful surprise! The inside passage sailing is so beautiful that I'd consider it well worth the shortened port time in Victoria -- and we also loved Victoria!

Glad to hear that no other port time was cut short, however, I just got an invoice dated TODAY for the 9/7 sailing of the Pearl and it still lists all the original itinerary times.

Are they being deceptive or optimistic?

Was planning on booking the float plane/bear watch in Ketchikan this week, so does this mean there's not time for that?

I also have to say, $50 is pretty paltry compensation for the loss of one and a half ports. I'm sure they have business-interruption insurance that would cover a portion of the onboard credits awarded due to mechanical failure, so why be so stingy? I would expect compensation in the neighborhood of 5-8% of the cruise price per person.

FYI- below is a copy of what was in my inbox when I got to work today regarding my upcoming cruise to Alaska.

Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 8:20 AM

To:

Subject: Shore Excursion Confirmation

Sorry for the inconvenience but the excursions in Victoria have been cancelled due to not enough time in port.

Thank you for pre-booking your shore excursions with Norwegian Cruise Line or NCL America.

Glad to hear that no other port time was cut short, however, I just got an invoice dated TODAY for the 9/7 sailing of the Pearl and it still lists all the original itinerary times.

Are they being deceptive or optimistic?

Was planning on booking the float plane/bear watch in Ketchikan this week, so does this mean there's not time for that?

I also have to say, $50 is pretty paltry compensation for the loss of one and a half ports. I'm sure they have business-interruption insurance that would cover a portion of the onboard credits awarded due to mechanical failure, so why be so stingy? I would expect compensation in the neighborhood of 5-8% of the cruise price per person.

Remember, per the NCL passenger contract they are not required to refund anything but port charges. As frustrating as it is we all agree to the contract when we sail any ship.

I just spoke with my PCC at NCL and here is the update:

Alaska cruisers may find that Victoria is a stop only; no one on or off. Note that I say 'may'. This could change.

As for those of us on the reposition through the canal, leaving 9-21, there are no planned changes or cuts. There is talk of repairing the azipod in Seattle, but that is only at the talk stage for now. They prefer to go through the canal with the azipod, but it is not essential. ;)

So if you are sailing to Alaska between now and 9/21, keep in touch with your PCC at NCL. If you don't have one, email me and I'll get you in touch with a great one.

D Ann :D

I'm not upset about having our shore excursion canceled in Victoria.

However, if any of the other ports are shortened or canceled, then that's another story.

This is going to be my first cruise, and I'm now nervous that it will be canceled altogether.

I have 3 weeks to go and am keeping my fingers crossed.

NCL is talking to Victoria Shipyards, and may cancel the last Alaskan sailing, and put into the dry dock for repairs, prior to heading for the canal. Also being looked at, is a dry docking in San Fransico rather than Victoria.

Just off the Pearl. Not only did we stop in Victoria - all passengers were able to disembark. We arrived 2 hrs late due to the fact that rough seas caused us to sail back thru the inside passage rather than "outside" Vancouver Island. That added a bit of time to the return which resulted in a late arrival to Victoria. Folks had about 4 hours there, but all excursions (booked thru NCL) were canceled.

Archived