Azipod on the Pearl

TMLAalum

They canceled the 10/25 cruise to dry dock the ship and fix the pod. I know because I was booked on it and just found out last week. They are offering a refund and a 20% credit which is pretty lame. I will lose more than that on just the airline tickets which are non refundable. Anyone know how to get NCL to "man-up" and offer us some compensation for this hassle. My parents got a comp cruise when their Celebrity boat broke they week before they were to leave. So far NCL has been very unwilling to offer anything other than the 20% (based on the fare we paid).

I did like NCL but I will never sail with them again if they don't step up to the plate and make us happy.

TFLG

If your parents boat broke a week before their cruise and yours a month before your cruise, please let me know when you are cruising again, I need to stay away from you and your family when cruising... LOL

They canceled the 10/25 cruise to dry dock the ship and fix the pod. I know because I was booked on it and just found out last week. They are offering a refund and a 20% credit which is pretty lame. I will lose more than that on just the airline tickets which are non refundable. Anyone know how to get NCL to "man-up" and offer us some compensation for this hassle. My parents got a comp cruise when their Celebrity boat broke they week before they were to leave. So far NCL has been very unwilling to offer anything other than the 20% (based on the fare we paid).

I did like NCL but I will never sail with them again if they don't step up to the plate and make us happy.

TFLG

You have got to be kidding. They are offering you 120% of what you paid to them for the cruise and you are complaining? Read your contract. That is 20% more than they had to offer you. I have read on this board and on the roll call board for that specific cruise of people booking several other cruises leaving miami that same day so you have option where you don't have to loose your airfare, etc. You just wont be able to cruise with NCL.

I kind of agree with Mush.. I hope you and your family pick another cruise line anyway.. seems like you are bad luck.. LOL

I expect them to offer a discount that will at the least cover the losses I am incurring due to this cancellation. I have sailed with NCL twice before and I like the ships. But a 20% credit does not even cover the airline ticket losses or the hassle of re-booking or cancelling the airline tickets, hotels and car rentals. I will probably lose about $1000 in airline tickets. I get a non-transferable voucher but there is a $200 penatly per ticket and chances are I will not use it before it expires. I have already booked my vacations for 2009 and 2010. Getting time off work for both me and my wife is not easy unless we plan well ahead. This trip was planned a year ahead. I realize what the small print says and I realize ****e happens. But customer service on cruise lines is usually better than that. They have been very unaccomodating so far. And that's thier parogative, it's also my parogotive to sail on other cruise lines. I'm not out to make money on the deal, I'de just prefer not to lose any.

I have to confess I feel a bit anxious here. We are on the October 10th cruise, but the ship won't undergo a major repair until AFTER that. It makes me uncomfortable, even if the azipod problem slows the ship only a little. The truth is I am anxious about sailing on a ship that has any mechanical or technical problems no matter what they are. :(

This will be our first cruise on NCL. There will be four of us traveling.

Sookieny, if you are asking me above, I appreciate your suggestion. Fortunately, all four of us we are driving together to the port, so losing our air fare is not a concern. Two of our party cannot get other time off. We are really stuck in the time slot, plus we've paid for the entire cruise now.

It scares me about this situation, but I may not say anything to the other three and worry them too. I guess if the ship can make it from LAska to Miami via the Panama Canal, it will be good enough for the cruise. I am such a worrier though.:o

Sookieny, if you are asking me above, I appreciate your suggestion. Fortunately, all four of us we are driving together to the port, so losing our air fare is not a concern. Two of our party cannot get other time off. We are really stuck in the time slot, plus we've paid for the entire cruise now.

It scares me about this situation, but I may not say anything to the other three and worry them too. I guess if the ship can make it from LAska to Miami via the Panama Canal, it will be good enough for the cruise. I am such a worrier though.:o

I'm a worrier too -- but this one would be fairly low on my list of things to worry about. Like OhioNCLCruiser said a few posts ago, there's another ship that's been sailing for months (I think it was a Carnival one) with the same problem. Unfortunately, many of the ships with the azipod systems have had trouble over the years.

I expect them to offer a discount that will at the least cover the losses I am incurring due to this cancellation. I have sailed with NCL twice before and I like the ships. But a 20% credit does not even cover the airline ticket losses or the hassle of re-booking or cancelling the airline tickets, hotels and car rentals. I will probably lose about $1000 in airline tickets. I get a non-transferable voucher but there is a $200 penatly per ticket and chances are I will not use it before it expires. I have already booked my vacations for 2009 and 2010. Getting time off work for both me and my wife is not easy unless we plan well ahead. This trip was planned a year ahead. I realize what the small print says and I realize ****e happens. But customer service on cruise lines is usually better than that. They have been very unaccomodating so far. And that's thier parogative, it's also my parogotive to sail on other cruise lines. I'm not out to make money on the deal, I'de just prefer not to lose any.

I understand being upset about all of this. Have you tried to look at other cruises out of Miami that leave that same day and return the same date?

I have to confess I feel a bit anxious here. We are on the October 10th cruise, but the ship won't undergo a major repair until AFTER that. It makes me uncomfortable, even if the azipod problem slows the ship only a little. The truth is I am anxious about sailing on a ship that has any mechanical or technical problems no matter what they are. :(

This will be our first cruise on NCL. There will be four of us traveling.

Have you checked in on our roll call thread for the 10/10 cruise?

I have to confess I feel a bit anxious here. We are on the October 10th cruise, but the ship won't undergo a major repair until AFTER that. It makes me uncomfortable, even if the azipod problem slows the ship only a little. The truth is I am anxious about sailing on a ship that has any mechanical or technical problems no matter what they are. :( quote]

The azipod problem was only noticeable for us because of our missed port. Please, put it out of you mind and enjoy the cruise. Any ship could have a similar problem at any given time. Now, if the mechanical or technical problem was on an airplane in flight.......

HeavySurf,

We were on the Pearl the week of September 7th in an Aft cabin. We saw no indication of a problem at all. The only indication was skipping Victoria. We had pretty calm sees only felt a little roll one or two evenings and she seemed to handle it well. Personally, I would not hesitate to take your cruise. Just my 2 cents.

We tried to find another cruise leaving the same time but were not able to find a suitable replacement. After dozens of phone calls, hours on the internet and checking and rechecking our work schedules we have booked the same cruise in January 18th. I got a voucher for the airline tickets, but I'm still out about $400 even after the discount on the Jan cruise. I'm still not a happy camper and will certainly let them know it on the customer satisfaction forms.

We tried to find another cruise leaving the same time but were not able to find a suitable replacement. After dozens of phone calls, hours on the internet and checking and rechecking our work schedules we have booked the same cruise in January 18th. I got a voucher for the airline tickets, but I'm still out about $400 even after the discount on the Jan cruise. I'm still not a happy camper and will certainly let them know it on the customer satisfaction forms.

I am glad that it has some what worked out for you, albeit seems like it was a lot of work for you. I remember when this first "broke news" I told my DDP if ever I could understand someone just being extremely upset on these boards this would be the instance where I would have no problem understanding why they would feel that way. Sorry that you have been out extra time and money, but I do hope you have a great cruise. I don't fully understand why, but our excursion that we had looked forward to at Roatan has been canceled for "transportation" issues. We are on the cruise that is before the one you were going to take, the one that leaves on Oct 19th. I'm disappointed for sure, but we will make the most of it.

Archived