NYC Tipping Info Needed

magic&buddy

We will be in NYC next week for a few days before our cruise. Never been to NYC before....a few questions about tipping we need help with.

1) We are taking the train into Penn Station......are there porters there than can help us with our luggage and if so what kind of tip are we expected to give?

2) Next the taxi...hotel is near 48th & 8th......again the tip question? If anyone has an idea about what the taxi will cost that would help too.

3) At the hotel if we are helped to our room with our luggage, what would be a normal tip?

4) And finally.......the Doorman at the hotel......the Concierge.........again the tip question?

We don't want to offend anyone or embaress ourselves by tipping poorly:o

Let's see....

1) yes...i presume you are on Amtrak so there will be redcaps....depends how many bags you have...say you have 2 people, 4 bags....i would tip 5 to 10 dollars (5 minimum, more depending on the attitude of the redcap!);)

2) Not sure about cab fare, but again, say the fare is 15 dollars, i would probably tip 5 bucks if the cabbie helped load/unload the bags (again, maybe more if the cabbie is realy nice...i hae had some gems who got huge tips on small fares!) some cabbies merely open the trunk!...in which case, maybe 10-15 percent of the fare

3) Bellman at hotel...1-2 bucks per bag....if he/she points out features of the hotel, gets you ice, etc probably more (also sort of depends where you are staying) [i wouldn't give a bellman less than 5 bucks in any event]

4) doorman/concierge...depends...if the doorman just takes the bags out of the cab, a buck a bag-ish. if they hail a cab for you i usually tip a couple bucks...

concierge...really depends on WHAT they do...for instance...want a ressie in a hot restaurant or tickets to a sold-out show??? then maybe 10-20 dollars....if all they do is hand you a map and some info, i don't generally tip.

hope that helps....others may have differing opinions....better to slightly overtip i guesss. generally, i overtip. i think i gave a cabbie (who was a delight) a 5 buck tip on a 7 or 8 dollar fare.....he was the exception.

also, i have always given NY cabbies the name and ADDRESS of the place i am going....(like the Hilton at 123 main street, between Pine and Oak)....

HTH

Let's see....

1) yes...i presume you are on Amtrak so there will be redcaps....depends how many bags you have...say you have 2 people, 4 bags....i would tip 5 to 10 dollars (5 minimum, more depending on the attitude of the redcap!);)

2) Not sure about cab fare, but again, say the fare is 15 dollars, i would probably tip 5 bucks if the cabbie helped load/unload the bags (again, maybe more if the cabbie is realy nice...i hae had some gems who got huge tips on small fares!) some cabbies merely open the trunk!...in which case, maybe 10-15 percent of the fare

3) Bellman at hotel...1-2 bucks per bag....if he/she points out features of the hotel, gets you ice, etc probably more (also sort of depends where you are staying) [i wouldn't give a bellman less than 5 bucks in any event]

4) doorman/concierge...depends...if the doorman just takes the bags out of the cab, a buck a bag-ish. if they hail a cab for you i usually tip a couple bucks...

concierge...really depends on WHAT they do...for instance...want a ressie in a hot restaurant or tickets to a sold-out show??? then maybe 10-20 dollars....if all they do is hand you a map and some info, i don't generally tip.

hope that helps....others may have differing opinions....better to slightly overtip i guesss. generally, i overtip. i think i gave a cabbie (who was a delight) a 5 buck tip on a 7 or 8 dollar fare.....he was the exception.

also, i have always given NY cabbies the name and ADDRESS of the place i am going....(like the Hilton at 123 main street, between Pine and Oak)....

HTH

This is great.......when I was in college I worked as a food server so know how much the service industry depends on their tips.

well then you should be all set.....

some others may have varying thoughts, but since you have firsthand experience you should be all set..........

(we often head up to your part of the world too!! ottawa, toronto and our favorite...montreal! usually in winter....how nuts am i??? canada is the ONLY place i will go willingly in the cold......:) )

The advice provided is good. As a general guideline, someone once told me that you should tip whenever any touches your luggage, no matter how much or little they do with it. It's a good general rule. The amount varies from $1-$5 depending on how much they did--took the bag out of the trunk to put by the curb: $1 (or $1 per bag if you want or even round up to $5); took the bag from the front desk to your hotel room: $5 (or $10 if you've got more than 1 bag).

When you are on the train, tell the conductor before you arrive that you would like a red cap. I think they have some way of communicating that back to the station so you don't have to go searching around for someone. Or call Amtrak and ask how the red caps work at Penn Station.

The platforms there are long and narrow and it is the luck of the draw as to where your train car will be. You may be near the escalators or elevators, but maybe not.

well then you should be all set.....

some others may have varying thoughts, but since you have firsthand experience you should be all set..........

(we often head up to your part of the world too!! ottawa, toronto and our favorite...montreal! usually in winter....how nuts am i??? canada is the ONLY place i will go willingly in the cold......:) )

People tend to either love Montreal or hate it. I am one who loves it - I grew up in Montreal. Nice to hear from a neighbour to the south who appreciates it. Thanks from Canada!

Thanks all for the direction.......different cities / sountries have different minimun expextations

We are totally confused re tipping as we don't tip in New Zealand except for exceptional service in a restaurant. And all taxes are included so no confusion. I am going to print off your advice and take it with me so thanks a lot.

There is no VAT tax here. The taxes aren't added until you buy the item in the store. I think the current rate in NYC is 8.375 cents for every dollar. (The hotels charge a lot of taxes, so be prepared for that.) Not everything is taxed -- a lot of grocery items aren't taxed (like milk, eggs, bread, meat etc) but liquor, soda, and potato chips are. I believe clothing and shoes aren't taxed, so the price you see on them is the full price. Any food prepared for you will be taxed. A restaurant will add the tax and it will be stated on the bill. If you want to make it easy, double the tax on a restaurant bill-- that is a

16.75% tip in food service. I usually give 20%, but the last time I was in NYC the waiter got 10% for arguing with me when I sent back my entrée because it was cold.

There is no VAT tax here. The taxes aren't added until you buy the item in the store. I think the current rate in NYC is 8.375 cents for every dollar. (The hotels charge a lot of taxes, so be prepared for that.) Not everything is taxed -- a lot of grocery items aren't taxed (like milk, eggs, bread, meat etc) but liquor, soda, and potato chips are. I believe clothing and shoes aren't taxed, so the price you see on them is the full price. Any food prepared for you will be taxed. A restaurant will add the tax and it will be stated on the bill. If you want to make it easy, double the tax on a restaurant bill-- that is a

16.75% tip in food service. I usually give 20%, but the last time I was in NYC the waiter got 10% for arguing with me when I sent back my entrée because it was cold.

Sales tax in NYC is 8.375%. There is also a 13.5% hotel tax in addition, if you stay in a hotel room.

Any food in a service establishment will be taxed 8.375%, so the double the tax rule is adequate.

Clothing isn't taxed up to $100, over $100 it's subject to the 8.375% tax (clothing and shoes aren't taxed at all in NJ).

Archived