Any recommendations for Haines

kadiebug12

• Administrators
Our cruise stops in Haines. Any recommendations for activities or excursions that people have enjoyed?

Kadie

We rented a car from Avis (at the Halsingland Hotel) and drove up into the Yukon as far as Million Dollar Falls. Spectacular! We also visited a wildlife refuge and saw some amazing animals, got great photos, and even got to pet some of them -- http://kroschelfilms.com/index.html

We loved Haines; it was so refreshing not to see a bunch of junky jewelry stores the second you get off the ship. So many ports in Alaska now look like most ports in the Caribbean, but Haines was different.

We did the Eagle Preserve Float trip and loved it. It was fun and the scenery was beautiful. It was an easy float down the river in a big rubber raft. The guide did all the rowing and we just held on and enjoyed the ride. No white water rafting, just floating along with the current. You can see my pictures at the link below (Haines album).

We went to Haines for the first time this summer. It's a great port that hasn't been "corrupted" with a myriad of jewelry stores. Our day there was quite relaxing We took a self-guided walking tour through the historical Fort Seward, went through the Sheldon Museum and the American Bald Eagle Foundation Museum. We learned form one of the men there the location of a bald eagle nest in the wooded area of a nearby park. It was a bit difficult to locate, but we were successful. Here is a link to my pictures of it: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2501705000100617054UarbcX

We rented a car from Avis (at the Halsingland Hotel) and drove up into the Yukon as far as Million Dollar Falls. Spectacular! We also visited a wildlife refuge and saw some amazing animals, got great photos, and even got to pet some of them -- http://kroschelfilms.com/index.html

I read about the wildlife refuge in the shore excursion booklet. Did you set this up separately or through your cruise? I want to do the train while there but I also want to do this, will I be able to do both? (I'm not going till next year, but I have this year's excursion booklet)

I read about the wildlife refuge in the shore excursion booklet. Did you set this up separately or through your cruise? I want to do the train while there but I also want to do this, will I be able to do both? (I'm not going till next year, but I have this year's excursion booklet)

I think it might be difficult to do both the train in Skagway and the rental car in Haines. The train is 3 hours at the minimum plus the fast ferry ride to Skagway and back. That wouldn't leave you a whole lot of time to drive into the Yukon from Haines. You might want to consider renting a car in Skagway and driving into the Yukon from there instead of doing the train and the rental car in Haines.

I would LOVE to do the train in Skagway from haines. Is there really enough time to take the ferry, ride the train and then return on the ferry? Has anyone done this? How tight was it?

There usually is a ship tour for this.

I think it might be difficult to do both the train in Skagway and the rental car in Haines. The train is 3 hours at the minimum plus the fast ferry ride to Skagway and back. That wouldn't leave you a whole lot of time to drive into the Yukon from Haines. You might want to consider renting a car in Skagway and driving into the Yukon from there instead of doing the train and the rental car in Haines.

I don't want to rent a car. The Wildlife center was something mentioned in the excursion book so I assume that I get a ride there and back. We are in Haines for 15 hours, so I was more curious as to whether or not there were more than one time given for going there, and if it could be worked around taking the train.

Our cruise stops in Haines. Any recommendations for activities or excursions that people have enjoyed?

Kadie

Hi, Kadie! Last year we took the Fast Ferry to Haines (since we were docked in Skagway) and thoroughly enjoyed our excursion, "Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4". Besides a lot of fun, we enjoyed beautiful scenery, and great food!

http://www.takshanuktrail.com/

• Administrators
I don't want to rent a car. The Wildlife center was something mentioned in the excursion book so I assume that I get a ride there and back. We are in Haines for 15 hours, so I was more curious as to whether or not there were more than one time given for going there, and if it could be worked around taking the train.

Our ship offered it as both a morning and afternoon tour (yes, transportation was included) -- you might want to see if the ship's trip to Skagway for the train would work with the times given for the wildlife excursion in Haines? I have a feeling that even with 15 hours in Haines those excursion times are going to conflict. The wildlife thing will probably have times of something like 9:30 AM and 2:00 pm -- while the fast ferry to Skagway/train trip will be something like 6-7 hours, leaving Haines at 8:30 AM or so. I could be wrong, but that's the kind of time information I'd be trying to find.

"Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4".

http://www.takshanuktrail.com/

I second the recommendation for the Takshanuk Mountain Trail. We were on the Star docked in Skagway, took the fast Ferry (about 35 minutes) and were met by "Alaska Rod" for a short bus trip to the trails. We were a family of four (Mom, Dad and twin 11 year old girls). It was raining the whole time but we loved every minute of it.

We rented a car from Captain's Choice Motel, and also drove the Haines Highway as far as Million Dollar Falls in the Yukon. We stopped at the Bald Eagle Preserve and Klukwan Village on the way. We had a lengthy wait at the Canadian border - because some dufus in front of us had a handgun in his car! :rolleyes: We didn't spend any time exploring the town itself, so that will have to wait until our next visit.

Our ship offered it as both a morning and afternoon tour (yes, transportation was included) -- you might want to see if the ship's trip to Skagway for the train would work with the times given for the wildlife excursion in Haines? I have a feeling that even with 15 hours in Haines those excursion times are going to conflict. The wildlife thing will probably have times of something like 9:30 AM and 2:00 pm -- while the fast ferry to Skagway/train trip will be something like 6-7 hours, leaving Haines at 8:30 AM or so. I could be wrong, but that's the kind of time information I'd be trying to find.

Thank you, that's what I was wondering. I'm hoping I can work something out if there are the two times available. I guess if not, the weather and visibility will determine which to do.

• 3 weeks later...

We really enjoyed Haines, because it was not at all "touristy". The downtown is a few blocks walk from the pier, and has a few gift shops and an IGA supermarket. The Sheldon Museum has plenty of native Alaskan artifacts, and admission was less than $5, 2 years ago. Fort Seward is interesting to walk through. In the old base hospital there are artist's studios.

Best of all, the mountain vista behind the town is breathtakingly beautiful, with jagged snow-capped peaks. We saw mountain goats on the cliffs north of town. Enjoy!

DavidnSteph

As we sailed southbound on the Volendam, we visited Haines for the first time in mid August on a beautiful day! We loved the town and in doing my research pre-cruise we decided to not plan any tours and explore the town on our own. We got off the ship and across the street we saw two vans saying Native tours. We ended up booking a tour with them, going 22 miles North by the side of the Chilkot River Valley to the town of Klukwan. We were able to visit a clan house and view 200 year old hand carved/painted wall screens. I cannot begin to tell you how fascinating these were to see. Authentic and over 200 years old...

Since you asked for suggestions kadiebug12; the name of the tour company is Keet Gooshi Tours. You can do a google seach using their name and Klukwan Alaska. In my opinion, it's a unique and authentic tour. Our guide was Jim Bo and a master carver. My husband carves and so you know this was the perfect thing for us to do while in Haines. The stories he told on the way up and back were fascinating and we came away feeling like we really experiencing something special! In addition to the clan house we went inside a smoke house seeing the bright red salmon smoking! Our guide also took us on a trail to see salmon in the creek on the way to the village. It was so fascinating to me to see evidence of bear activity (bear scat) and along the path several partially eaten salmon! On the way back we stopped on the other side of the road and he did his best for us to see a bear. He even made calls that he said sounded like a wounded animal, but no bear that day; but to see the salmon along the trail was an experience!

Oh yes, the beautiful rugged snow edged mts as we drove up the valley were a sight to see as well.

Enjoy Haines!

Archived