Cruise magazines--which is the best?

mikeerdas

I've subscribed to Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine in the past, before I really discovered cruising, and enjoyed it. From what I recall, they had some info on cruising but it wasn't devoted to cruising.

Another mag I've heard of is Cruise Travel. But I don't know how good it is.

I'm looking for a good travel mag that, if not 100% dedicated to cruising, regularly has articles on cruising.

Also, I'm more "Budget Travel" than "Conde' Nast", e.g. I typically limit my stateroom per person purchases to between USD $500 and $1500.

Thanks.

Mike

I've subscribed to Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine in the past, before I really discovered cruising, and enjoyed it. From what I recall, they had some info on cruising but it wasn't devoted to cruising.

Another mag I've heard of is Cruise Travel. But I don't know how good it is.

I'm looking for a good travel mag that, if not 100% dedicated to cruising, regularly has articles on cruising.

Also, I'm more "Budget Travel" than "Conde' Nast", e.g. I typically limit my stateroom per person purchases to between USD $500 and $1500.

Thanks.

Mike

Hears a thread from yesterday regarding CT magazine. Hope this helps! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=832090

Thanks Luv2Cruz. The checkbox for Cruise Travel is grayed-out when I try the link in the thread you posted.

Are there any other sites where I can sign-up for a free Cruise Travel subscription? Magazines.com is listing the subscription fee as $17.95.

Also, if you like a particular magazine, please state *why* you like it versus other magazines. Free sure is one compelling reason to like something.

Budget Travel Mag is around $10-$12 year. Fair amount of ads, but I've always enjoyed reading it for low-cost travel ideas. Again, not sure how much cruise content it presently has. That may have grown over the years. Originally, the mag's focus was more toward independent travel vs. package tourism.

Mike.

I subscribe to both Budget Travel and Cruise Travel. While Cruise Travel is devoted to cruise travel I believe I have gotten more useful information about travel from Budget Travel that I can use for cruise travel. If you can subscribe to both if not stick to Budget Travel.

Shak

Thanks Luv2Cruz. The checkbox for Cruise Travel is grayed-out when I try the link in the thread you posted.

Are there any other sites where I can sign-up for a free Cruise Travel subscription? Magazines.com is listing the subscription fee as $17.95.

Also, if you like a particular magazine, please state *why* you like it versus other magazines. Free sure is one compelling reason to like something.

Budget Travel Mag is around $10-$12 year. Fair amount of ads, but I've always enjoyed reading it for low-cost travel ideas. Again, not sure how much cruise content it presently has. That may have grown over the years. Originally, the mag's focus was more toward independent travel vs. package tourism.

Mike.

Maybe this one will work?:confused: ;)http://www.cruisemates.com/images/bannerads/cruisetravmag/subscribe.cfm

Thanks Shak--I just subscribed to Budget Travel mag. I remember enjoying it quite a lot years ago. Good to know it has cruise stuff too--or at least info applicable to cruise ports.

Luv2Cruz, I tried the new link you gave me and got an error after hitting submit. :-( Know of any others?

Mike

Luv2Cruz, I tried the new link you gave me and got an error after hitting submit. :-( Know of any others?

Mike

That happened to me too! :( I get Budget Travel, but I would love to get a cruise only magazine. I've subscribed to Port Hole, in May, but have not received it yet. How often does this magazine go out?

Thanks Shak--I just subscribed to Budget Travel mag. I remember enjoying it quite a lot years ago. Good to know it has cruise stuff too--or at least info applicable to cruise ports.

Mike

Don't know? Just passing on info. The first link worked for me yesterday.:confused: :confused::(

I subscribe to both Cruise Travel and Porthole. Although I enjoy them both, Cruise Travel always seems to have more relevant information, and I love the letters to the editor! Porthole is a little more "slick", with more advertising (most of it for the jewelry stores you find in every port)!

Both of them are bi-monthly; Porthole is $19.95/year, and I believe Cruise Travel is about the same (I lent my most recent issue to a co-worker, so I can't refer to a subscription card!).

I enjoy Budget Travel also, since we do take more land trips than we do cruises. Great magazine, and some amazing travel deals to be found in every issue!

I was a subscriber to Cruise Travel for about 18 years but finally decided that I can get more accurate information right here on the internet. I decided not to renew. Also, when Porthole first came out it was a very good magazine. Very few ads and when they gave ratings for ships, they were very honest telling both the good and bad. Douglas Ward sold out to Panoff Publishing and now it's nothing more than ads and fluff. Not worth the money IMHO. If you really want to check them out, head to your local Barnes and Noble or other book store and purchase one issue and see how you like them before subscribing.

I just let my subscription for Cruise Travel run out and now I'm getting a subscription to Porthole. I haven't decided yet which one I like best. I also subscribe to Budget Travel and I won't drop that subscription as I really like it. Here is a great web site with all kinds of info I'm sure most everyone will like.

http://www.cybercruises.com/cruiseurl.htm

Jon

I received Porthole in the past. IMO total waste of money. It was 90% advertisments.

I received Cruise Travel for years. The price has increased and I recenctly dropped my subscription. It was much better than Porthole.

I have read Budget travel and think it is a pretty good magazine.

I have tried many of the cruise magazines over the years including Cruise Travel and Porthole. I would rate Cruise Travel the best of the ones I received.

With that said, the one disappointment in the magazines is that while they do a nice writeup each issue on a few ships, usually what is written is all positive. Sometimes, I wish the articles offered more balanced writeups.

Keith

Archived