Single Cruisers

Diva, I've never cruised solo but would love to! (I go to to Las Vegas solo several times a year while DH watches the kids!) I thought you might like to visit the Cruising Solo board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 for more info specific to your needs. There is also a "Single Cruise" board, but that is a different type of cruise entirely! :eek:

Anyone who has cruised alone want to offer an tips, sugesstions, experiences?

I am thinking of taking a Mexican Riveria Cruise alone.

I cruise alone quite a bit...most people are friendly and inviting. The biggest thing is put yourself out there...balconies are great if you cruise alone, IMHO...i usually cruise with someone on the longer cruises...

My first 2 cruises I took alone and my next 2 (B2B) I am taking alone. It all depends on what your expectations are. If you want to meet people you may have to be a bit outgoing.

I had a great time my first 2 times and expect to on my next 2. Just make sure you're never alone in the ports.

Steve

I've cruised once by myself... to Nassau and Cococay. I didn't mind doing this since I had been to Nassau before and felt "safe" there. Cococay was awesome solo. I strolled along the backside of the island and felt like I had it ALL to myself.

The only bummer I had was that I was sat at a 4-person table... one seat empty, myself, and a newly wed couple. I think they still had fun, but I couldn't help but feel like an "outsider" at that table - like they'd have been better off to have it all to themselves. If I did it again I'd call and make sure they put me at a BIG BIG table.

Judy

I will be going solo and was wondering the same about it all. My largest fear is that the ship will be inundated with people +40 and teenagers.

I get the impression from this board a lot of older people travel RCI. But a cruise ship is a large vessel and im sure there will be plenty of other singles and people to mingle with.

1. if you're not a messy person, ask the cabin steward to only clean your room at night (turn down service). This will make them SMILE.

2. Keep count of your pool towels. I used one and still had 1 in the room, since it was wet that night, the steward took it but didn't replace it as I was solo and still had one in the room. Guess what, I forgot to point it out to him and when I got home my credit card was charged $20 for the towel.

3. Check out where your seating assignment is. The dining room manager can tell you if the other people assigned are English speaking. If you've been assigned a small table, and want a large table, ask to be reassigned. Asking for a table for 2 when its just you is harder because lots of people ask for those tables. If they can't change your seat assignment, and you don't like it, tell them you'll be eating in WJ every night. If you do eat in WJ at night at least give the wait staff a couple of bucks. The wait staff in WJ for lunch and dinner are the ass't waiters, every 5 weeks they have to work WJ for no tips and they call it 'free week'. So I leave them (or hand it to them) a couple of dollars to ease the pain.

Request a larger table for dinner, 8 or larger. If it doesn't look like it is going to work for you after the first evening you can always ask to change to another table and/or time.

Look at the daily program you will get in your cabin each evening for the next days acivities, and try to attend some functions where you will have a chance to meet other passengers.

Even at the buffet for breakfast and lunch, if you do those, do not shy away from a table that may just have 1 or 2 persons sitting there.

As has been mentioned you just have to make the effort and most people on the ship are friendly.

I've cruised once by myself... to Nassau and Cococay. I didn't mind doing this since I had been to Nassau before and felt "safe" there. Cococay was awesome solo. I strolled along the backside of the island and felt like I had it ALL to myself.

The only bummer I had was that I was sat at a 4-person table... one seat empty, myself, and a newly wed couple. I think they still had fun, but I couldn't help but feel like an "outsider" at that table - like they'd have been better off to have it all to themselves. If I did it again I'd call and make sure they put me at a BIG BIG table.

Judy

That is such poor planning on their part!

You should have been seated at a larger table with other single people. Wouldn't that have been more fun?

Archived