LIVE ABOARD THE CB 8/24/08 sailing

DonnaK

Pleased to hear that the entertainment is still outstanding. We were onboard last week and other than the apalling Kamika it was very good, but I know that Sarge left the ship and I believe that we dropped the others off in the Carribean. Who is replacing them?

Do not miss the production shows.

We saw the first production show - Do you Wanna Dance (or something like that) and it was amazing!!! The other is scheduled for later in the week.

A very funny comedian named Philadelphia was on this week, however he is leaving the ship tomorrow. No word on who is replacing him for the next cruise. There was also an "OK" impersonator named Jason earlier in the week.

Bert "with an E" in the piano lounge is outstanding - lots of fun. They need to give him a bigger theatre becuase people stand in the halls (clogging the walkway) whenever he's performing.

Thank you Donna so much! Great info! I really appreciate it. Re packing now...

How were the shore excursions that you have done so far?

In Halifax, we just walked the "harbor Walk" boardwalk (about 1.5 miles each way, but you don't have to do the entire thing) and we went to the Maritime Museum (about 3/4 mile from the ship along the boardwalk) to see the Titanic exhibit. It was very nice.

In New Brunswick, we took the trolley tour of the city and reversing falls, through the ship. It was nice, but not worth the expense, IMO. The falls were in the "calm" stage, and not very exciting to see.

The locals are very hospitable!!! They set up little stands and kiosks with their crafts, and they are wonderful to talk to - very friendly and welcoming!

DonnaK,

Which anytime dinning room you have problem with? I will be on this cruise the coming Sunday, I want to make sure I avoid this maitre'D.

Did you try other anytime dinning room, I think there are more than one on CB?

Liana.

The maitre-d (I think his name is Angelo) is in the Island (traditional) dining room - he is the only one who can make official changes. There is a head waiter Nicola who was very sympathetic to our plight (he took a liking to us b/c he was from Italy, and my daughter conversed with him in Italian), however he said that it's out of his hands and only the maitre-d can make dining arrangements, and he confirmed that there is a policy of not reserving one table for all seven days, not even at 5:45pm.

The head waiters in charge of the two anytime dining rooms always direct us back to the maitre-d.

In the Palm dining room, the Head Waiter Ricardo seems to be working with us. I send my husband down around 5:15 or so to line up outside the door, so that we are one of the first in the walk-in line, and then we can get the table we want as long as it is open when we get there. (with only a handful of people ahead of us, it is generally open).

This is not ideal, and it certainly isn't "anytime", but it's the least aggrievating way to deal with the issue.

I'm getting conflicting reports as to whether there will still be a basketball court after drydock. Can you confirm with anyone on the ship?

I'll try. Did you post this on Casshew's "live from" thread, because James mentioned all the dry dock changes at the Meet and Greet, but I really didn't follow along, since I'm not very familiar with the Princess ship's layout. Maybe Cass will remember.

You should not have to make reservations for anytime dinning....that defeats the purpose of being able to eat ..... anytime!!!!!

I hope Princess addresses this problem by not permitting reservations for anytime....

Hey Donna I asked Cass to say hi to asst CD Sam for me but I think he missed it if you get the chance, thanks. :)

I haven't met Sam - Natalie seems tto be the Asst CD I run into most.

Signing off now - will try to post again tomorrow.

thanks, Donna, for your live posts - makes me feel like we're still on the Caribbean Princess ! We were on the last 9 day Eastern Caribbean cruise last week. I guess we were lucky - DD Emily and I never had a wait for anytime dining at the Palm - perhaps because we generally arrived early, usually 6 to 6:45, so we could make it to shows and activities. Our A/C too was no problem and was actually too cold sometimes at nite so we had to turn it down. James Deering, PSD, was also great at our CC meet and greet. Very informative, and he was also fun at our Chef's Table before dinner hors d'ouvres. Have a great cruise - hope your dining troubles clear up. Thanks again for letting us continue our cruise for another week online!

Bob and daughter Emily Laubach

Manassas, VA

he confirmed that there is a policy of not reserving one table for all seven days, not even at 5:45pm.

Donna

Did you see my post showing the reservation card?

Do me a favor go to the Palm and let me know if you see these signs?

DSCN1488.jpg

Do you see the Maitre D' in the white coat?

I am sorry I don't have his name.

But, he is the one who made reservations for us.

Does he look like the same Maitre D'?

DSCN1489.jpg

Up against the post as you enter the Palm

there's a sign that clearly states

With Reservations

Without Reservations

(not to sure if you'll be able to see my photos on Princess's pc)

Sandy,

Yes, those signs are posted, however, you have to call for reservations beginning at 11pm for the following night and the night after that. They "claim" not to take reservations for more than 2 days in advance (although there are people onboard and on CC who say that they've been able to reserve the same table in anytime for 6pm or 6:30pm for the entire cruise.

The issue is that if I start calling at 11pm (or even slightly before), the phone rings for 15-20 minutes (no exaggeration!). Then when you finally get through, they are all booked up for both nights (actually, we were affoered a reservation for 10pm for the next night, and for 8:45pm the following night). We are not the only passengers having this problem. The passageways, pool area, etc, are full of people who are complainign and siguested with the dinign situation.

Whne I do get through to reservations, I've been told that if we were a party of two, we could be accomodated anytime, but because we are five, there is "no room" for a reservation in the anytime dining room for us. We've even had the pursers desk call for us - just to prove that the phone is not being answered promptly, and then when it finally is answered, they are all booked up.

It's utterly ridiculous and totally unacceptable, and although we love this ship and everything else about the cruise, we cannot cruise Princess again because there is no assurance that we will have a table assigned to us in the dining room for dinner at an early hour. If so many people favor "anytime dining", then why are so many people on this cruise complaining that they were shut out of traditional early seating, and cannot be accomodated???

I have said that too, no reservations for anytime, period. :mad:

I totally agree with you............

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Donna, sorry to hear there are so many problems with anytime dining:mad:

When we first cruised on Princess, we usually walked right in during prime time (7 pm 8 pm)!! Don't think they were taking reservations in 2005 and there never seemed to be a problem.

When we cruised on the CB this past May, you could certainly see trouble brewing and it all had to do with too many reservations for "anytime" dining! The 6 of us usually ate between 8 & 8:30 pm and didn't have too much of a wait. But tempers were really starting to flare!! Still believe that with so many being able to make reservations, Princess is taking away the true concept of what "anytime" was intended to be.

Sandytoes,

How did you receive this form and to whom did you speak to get it? Did you know about this form ahead of time? We are leaving on Sept. 14th and have anytime dining for the first time and would love to have your positive experience. Thanks.

We are also sailing on the CB Sept 14th. Why don't you check out our roll call and consider joining our meet & greet!!

Sorry to hear about the dining problem. We have always had late traditional with no problem until our cruise on the Ctown April '08. We had guaranteed large table but got a two top....but only until we saw the table. We were able to change tables.

Question-We are doing the CB on Sept 14th and a concern has been raised about our meet & greet and whether or not the infamous muster drill will conflict timewise. By chance do you remember the time of your muster drill? Thanks and continue to have a great cruise!

Donna,
Sorry there are so many issues with anytime dining. I am reading Cass's live from posts as well, and it seems from reading both that there must be an inordinate number of passengers on this sailing that prefer to dine early...hence, the unacceptable situation.
I hope this will improve for the balance of the cruise, as people tire of formal dining and head up to the buffet in the evening from time to time.

As you are in a suite, you could always order off the menu and have room service.

I am glad you are enjoying the rest of the Princess experience, and so sorry that the dining situation in the evenings is a problem.

Hope the rest of your trip is wonderful.:)

I prefer the traditional dining so that I do not have to worry about calling and making reservations or having to wait awhile before you get a table. I would be very annoyed if I didn't get the traditional dining and probably would let it show.

Donna ~

I have to say I am one of the lucky ones. Never, ever have I had a problem making reservations.

We always go to the Dining to make them.
Using the phone is impossible. Never can get through.

Reservations can be made up until 4pm the same evening.

Wonder if it could be due to the number in your party???? :confused:
Here at a landbase restaurant you can not make reservations if your a party of two. 4 or more -yes.
Seems to be the opposite on a cruise ship.
You can make reservations for a party of 2, but not for 4 or more. :rolleyes:
This is all interesting.

Please don't say you won't cruise with Princess just because you were unable to make reservations.
I am sure you'll find lots of things that Princess offers to you liking. :)
Enjoy the rest of your well deserved vacation.

Great to hear you enjoy Princess. It is too bad that you are having these issues with the anytime dining. I have cruised on the CB four times, with reservations, without reservations, party of two, five and 21 and not once have had problems. It is usually the larger parties who do not have reservations will experience some problems for part of the cruise but not everyday.

I can tell you that if the Maitre'd is Angelo, he is VERY rigid.

Hope you continue to have a wonderful cruise.

The problems you are having are the reason that I only do Traditional Late Dining. Don't give up on Princess, it's a wonderful cruise line.

Nicola was our head waiter too, he is wonderful. If you get a picture of him, I'd love it if you would post it. I forgot to take one.

Thank you for the live update.

I am thinking maybe the difference between sandytoes last weeks experience and this weeks in anytime has to do with the itinerary.

Doesn't the Canada/New England crowd tend to be older and thus often prefer earlier dining?

I am scheduled for anytime on the CB Canada/New England Sailing on Sept 14 and am concerned.

We like to have a drink before dinner so a 20 minute wait wouldn't be a problem. We also are only 2 and welcome sharing a table. I seriously don't want to spend my cruise waiting 1 hour and missing shows etc. Also are you having to wait in a line or given a beeper?

Archived