What are you doing about luggage?

Both Delta and Northwest Airlines only allow 1 piece of checked luggage, and it must be 50 lbs or less. We are going on a 7-day cruise in October, flying from our location to the port, and wonder what everyone is doing about luggage on 7-day (or more) cruise? Are you just paying the excess luggage fees? Forcing everything into 1 checked piece and 1 carry-on piece per person? If so, how are you managing it?

In previous 7-day cruises, we checked 2 pieces of luggage, and paid no attention to the weight/size of the pieces. I don't think we can fit everything into 1 checked piece and 1 carry-on piece per person in the current weight/size limitations!

They are allowing 1 piece of FREE checked luggage, you can bring more but you will pay for it. I am doing 3 days in London followed by a 12 day cruise with just 1 50 lb bag, mix and match and cut down on shoes.

I take one piece of checked luggage and so does DH. We never have problems packing with one suitcase plus a cary on each. His has to put soem of his stuff in my suitcase because his shoes make his suitcase heaby, but I don't ever take more than one piece for a 7 day cruise. And is usually end up not wearing a lot of the things I take.

It will be less expensive for you to have some of your clothes cleaned while on the ship rather than paying for a second piece of luggage each.

In europe we are used to flying with the 25kg allowance but i agree its not easy. Buy the most light weight holdall type luggage you can find and also use your carry on allowance. Buy one of those portable travel scales and just do best u can and if you do go over hopefully it wont be by that much and you might get someone having a good day at check in! Smile and plead ignorant!

Luggage weight limits have been in effect for quite a while. US Air charges for all bags - $15 for 1st bag and $25 for 2nd bag or vice versa. Either way we will check 2 bags. Can't worry about $100 extra when you are spending $5000 for a cruise.

Downside of all these charges is that people will be carrying on everything they can to minimize baggage charges. Strongly suggest that you get seats in the back of the plane so you are first to board. As soon as the overheads are full, they will check your bags and may even charge you.

oh and if u are travelling with a male- remember all those times he said ' honey i only need a pair of sandals and shorts.' now is your chance! Pack all ur precious stuff and bring the basics for dh!

I am going to try to cut down to 3 checked, but just have to pay for one. There is just no way I can go for 2 weeks on 2 checked bags. I would rather just factor in the cost of paying for the extra bag rather than go nuts not having the things with me than I want. Whether I like it or not, just saying it is one more cost of my vacation.

We ALWAYS only have one checked and one carry-on when we cruise.

18 nights Repositioning last Nov,

13 nights TransAtlantic last April and

23 nights upcoming this Nov-Dec (7 night Med and 15 night TransAtlantic).

And our checked piece is never over 40 lbs.

No reason to pack everything you own. Choose a basic color scheme and stay within it. And only bring 3 pairs of shoes. 1 pair that you have on when you travel, 1 dressy, 1 sporty. Either wash things out in the sink or send it to ship's laundry.

It is very liberating not having to rely on porters and others to haul your bags around.

Luggage weight limits have been in effect for quite a while. US Air charges for all bags - $15 for 1st bag and $25 for 2nd bag or vice versa. Either way we will check 2 bags. Can't worry about $100 extra when you are spending $5000 for a cruise.

Downside of all these charges is that people will be carrying on everything they can to minimize baggage charges. Strongly suggest that you get seats in the back of the plane so you are first to board. As soon as the overheads are full, they will check your bags and may even charge you.

We just had this happen to us on a flight yesterday - ppl carried on 2, 3 or even 4 bags onto the plane - so they wouldn't have to pay to have to check them in. It was crazy - ppl had full sized garment bags they were squishing into the overhead compartments. They almost delayed the plane because the last ppl on board couldn't find anywhere to put there carry on bags - it was crazy!!

Gemini39 quote: "What are you doing about luggage?"

I'm going to try out some of the hints I've read about on the various forums on this site.

Some people say they roll their clothes which makes it so they can pack an incredible amount of things and the rolling reduces wrinkling. Somebody even said they have to be careful and check the weight because they can overpack.

Others have mentioned packing things inside of other items. Such as stuffing things into shoes.

Purchasing items at the destination rather than hauling it in suitcase. Most often I've seen toiletries mentioned, but, I've even read about purchasing undergarments then throwing them away :eek: (but I can't remember if this was simply because of weight of luggage, no laundry facility, or both :o ).

Good luck with packing and have a wonderful trip!

The main problem is all the bits and pieces for formals nights. It is not just the clothes but all the bits that go with it.

When we were in the Med on Wind Surf (no formal dress needed) it was much easier.

On more formal cruises, DH takes white tux, black DJ, evening trouers, evening shoes, dress shirt etc.

I take 2 long evening skirts and blouses, evening shoes and bag.

This is in addition to daytime clothes and if travelling shoulder season when the weather is unpredictable we need different things for that too.

Oh what a nightmare in deciding what to take and what not to.

We usually travel with only a carry-on each. This time we are planning on taking 1 checked bag for the two of us to share and that one is carry-on sized too. Only need this one because we are flying in to San Juan a few days early. We just use the laundry service about mid-week and perhaps hand wash swimwear and underthings so they can be re-worn. Lots less hassel before, during and after the trip!

Both Delta and Northwest Airlines only allow 1 piece of checked luggage, and it must be 50 lbs or less. We are going on a 7-day cruise in October, flying from our location to the port, and wonder what everyone is doing about luggage on 7-day (or more) cruise? Are you just paying the excess luggage fees? Forcing everything into 1 checked piece and 1 carry-on piece per person? If so, how are you managing it?

In previous 7-day cruises, we checked 2 pieces of luggage, and paid no attention to the weight/size of the pieces. I don't think we can fit everything into 1 checked piece and 1 carry-on piece per person in the current weight/size limitations!

I've always packed what's needed in 1 21-inch roll-on-board. Spent 32 years in the travel industry, many of those years on the road in a plane. Never took anything other than my little case. The weight has never exceeded 40-45 pounds.

So, I have no problem at all. I'll check it where there is no charge. If there is a charge on a particular airline, I can carry it on.

For weekend trips I used to just take a small duffle carryon. For an upcoming conference in Tampa I'm taking a larger carryon. I'll leave out on a Thursday morning and return on Sunday. We will have various events during the day and evening, I'm hoping I should be able to get every thing in my carryon. That will be great practice for future cruises.

I really hate taking too much luggage. I've traveled by myself enough to really really hate manuevering through an airport with way too much stuff. .

For our upcoming cruise we are driving. :( Why the sad face? Because I know DH and he will take everything but the kitchen sink. I think I'll tell him the ship has a 100 lb limit.

The new restrictions have sure made packing a huge challenge for everyone. :eek:

For our upcoming 15 day Hawaii cruise, we are going SW....they allow 2 checked bags per person. I plan on packing for about 8 or 9 days and use the ships laundry. It's going to be a lot of mix and match......Shoes are always the worst problem in packing!

I just did one week with two checked bags. First of all the size of the bag matters. 26 inches is too small and 31 inches is too big. 29 inches works great for me (though I only have one that size). The weight going was about 45 pounds total. The weight coming back was about 61 pounds total. I did no laundry and brought back souvenirs. There was still more room in the two bags.

I have cut back on shoes and jackets. My next cruise I may try one checked bag and one carry-on, but that is not until April, so I've got time to figure this all out. The next cruise after that I drive to, so it will not be a problem.

One of my biggest pet peeves are with those that have seats at the back of the plane...they get called to board first, which is fine, but they then put their carry-on's in the bins above the seats in the front, so they don't have to lug them all the way to the back. Then those of us who have seats in the front 10 rows are subjected to the flight attendant taking our bags to the back to the empty bins before we can leave the gate. Then, we get to our destination, and there's not a flight attendant in sight to retrieve our bags, and we now have to wait for the plane to just about empty so that we can then go to the back and get our bags. Meanwhile, the others are walking by us, still in our seat aisle, opening the bins above us and grabbing their bags. I'm sorry, but that, to me, is just inconsiderate. /rant off.

As far as our upcoming Liberty cruise, I have a couple of "tactics" in mind to keep our luggage to a minimum-1 checked per, and 1 carry on per...as someone else indicated, I'm sticking with a basic color family-1 pr of "dress" pants, multiple tops, and one pr of black shoes, and a black/white dress that, after hanging in a steam shower, should be wrinkle free. Other than that, it's our plan NOT to do the formal night thing-hubby will be in Khaki's and golf shirts, and dinner will be in the WJ and/or Chops. We're really not even planning on doing the dining room too much...I want to relax. I have to "dress" for work, so part of my vacation is NOT having to dress...

Your mileage may vary. :D

One week with one checked suitcase (under 23kg) and one carry-on is what we do (even though we normally have an allowance of 3 pieaces of checked luggage per person from the UK).

I would suggest looking at what you will actually wear (i.e. do you pack things that you wont realstically wear?). If you can't make do with one case each, then just pay the excess (how about 3 cases between two of you?).

Good luck.

Boo

That reminds me. There are clothing optional cruises. I would think you could fit everything you need in one carry-on if you go on one of those cruises.

Ha Ha.... :)

Surely not in the USA...? Most people around here have a heart attack at the smallest hint of a female nipple... (am I allowed to say that word on here? ;) )... They would be piling up the dead bodies if "clothing optional" happened on a RCCL cruise.

Boo

Ha Ha.... :)

Surely not in the USA...? Most people around here have a heart attack at the smallest hint of a female nipple... (am I allowed to say that word on here? ;) )... They would be piling up the dead bodies if "clothing optional" happened on a RCCL cruise.

Boo

Several Royal Caribbean ships have been chartered by a clothing optional group. It always has to be a full ship charter, but it has been done several times.

They have to wear clothes in port. Once the ship gets far enough out to sea, then it becomes clothing optional.

I've never been on one, and I don't know if they are adults only. But they do happen.

Archived