Rating TAs

Teetype

I know we cannot mention specific TAs on this website, and I understand that if it were allowed the pages would be filled with TAs advertising their agencies.

With that understood, can anyone recommend to me a website where we might find a TA if we're looking for one?

I book through Princess, and have enjoyed great professional service with the two cruise planners who have handled my cruises. But, I'm looking to save some money on upcoming cruises and have no idea which of dozens of online agencies to do business with.

I called one an hour ago and after only a few minutes talking with that agent, I know there's no way I would want to work with her. She was short, sharp and gave me anything but confidence in her.

So, how do you choose an agent? How do you see what others have to say about different agencies? I think we spend entirely too much money cruising to go hit or miss with an unknown agency for a couple hundred in savings. There must be some way to evaluate without trusting an unknown with thousands.

Thanks!

Tee

Check the American Society of Travel Agents web site: www.asta.org

Ask any of your friends who have cruised who they recommend.

If you go with an agency that belongs to a consortium like AAA, American Express, Virtuoso or Signature they book group spaces on many of the cruise at discounted rates equal to or below the online agencies. They will also give you a lot more service than an online agency. They are more likely to be staffed with agents who have cruised on the line and or ship you are interested in sailing on.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom '81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Check the American Society of Travel Agents web site: www.asta.org

Ask any of your friends who have cruised who they recommend.

If you go with an agency that belongs to a consortium like AAA, American Express, Virtuoso or Signature they book group spaces on many of the cruise at discounted rates equal to or below the online agencies. They will also give you a lot more service than an online agency. They are more likely to be staffed with agents who have cruised on the line and or ship you are interested in sailing on.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom '81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Unfortauntely none of my friends cruise :/ I need to 'eddicate 'em.'

Thanks much for the steers toward those agencies, however! That looks like a great place to start. :)

Tee

Why use a TA, when you can book yourself right online? Quick, easy...you get the latest information.

I book with a TA because she knows things about the cruises and all the jargon and lingo about things like upgrades. She also handles a lot of little details for me (like changing my dining times more than once) that would take up a lot of my time (which I instead use reading this board :) )

I admit to being high-maintenance. Maybe someone less so wouldn't need a TA.

Why use a TA, when you can book yourself right online? Quick, easy...you get the latest information.

Because they are looking for discounts, OBC, free pre-paid gratuities or other extras that some TA's will give.

Online agencies/TA's also offer these..

Bulldog

Yes, that I what I meant.

I thought the first question was referring to booking directly through the cruiseline yourself.

In the past, we have always used a TA from the beginning - but found it just took more time to make changes, get information etc. (Might not have been the best TA - but they were a family member:eek: ) We would ask the TA to make a change, they would check to see if it was possible, then get back to us. This time we started directly with the cruiseline - got everything set up just how we wanted - then transferred to a TA to get OBC.

Just a note that the online cruise agent that I have used for about five years and who frequently offers prepaid gratuities for balcony cabins and higher has now started requiring final payment 135 days in advance of the sailing date even though Celebrity's requirement is only 60 days. Guess they feel this incentive to book with them entitles them to use my money for those extra 75 days. I called Celebrity to ask them about this and they agreed that it was excessive but assured me that the particular TA was in excellent standing with them and they had no control over their payment policies. I checked other online TAs for the sailing of the Solstice that I was interested in but my TA was the only one offering any type of incentive, so I went with them for the prepaid gratuities, a savings of $154, despite their final payment policy. However, I doubt that I would book with them again for a cruise if I was booking less than a balcony cabin or if they were not offering any type of incentive because I really resent them requiring the final payment so far in advance of what the cruise line requires.

I'm finding the price for a cruise is the same, no matter if you book through a TA or direct.

The advantage you have with a TA can be onboard credit, sometimes other perks such as pre-paid gratuities, a bottle of wine or a fruit basket. They don't always offer perks, though. They are not allowed to discount the fares any longer, no more can you shop the best price for a cruise. You can check to find out if the price has been lowered and have your agent handle the reduced fare.

We've had a couple of incidents where the TA smoothed things over that we would have had a hard time doing for ourselves. For that reason alone, we'll continue to use a TA and not book direct. Just to have an immediate answer to a question is not enough reason for me to book direct.

Just like all other things in life, TA's are human (once you get beyond the online buttons), some of them are great and happily involved, some of them are just working to make a living.

I do appreciate the input on TAs but my original post asked if anyone knows a WEBSITE where TAs and online agencies are rated by those who use them.

Thanks!

Tee

To answer your question... No...

I do appreciate the input on TAs but my original post asked if anyone knows a WEBSITE where TAs and online agencies are rated by those who use them.

Thanks!

Tee

Perhaps you can try BBB or CLIA for recommendations.

I think there are other cruise message boards on the web that allow TA's to post, or allow people to discuss TA's.

But no, not here.

Another thought, you might contact the Cruise Agencies that are recommended on CC, the link is right above here under "talk Ship".

I'm not positive, but I think CC probably holds them to a certain standard, you might ask the administrator here.

I would just type cruise agency into google...I guarantee that alot of what you want will come up...and alot of sites that might eventually get you where you want.

My TA I found at another cruise message board (no names) and I am very very happy with her...I am low maintenance but it nice to know if I need her time shes there!

Unfortunatley I don't know of a short cut to get a TA, I mean you have to interveiw them anyway.

What I wiould suggest is that when you find an agency save it to your favorites you never know when you might need that info again....even if you don't use them this time....plus its fun to compare prices and then choose the TA that not only gives the best price but the best service as well.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and good luck!

Andy

I would just type cruise agency into google...I guarantee that alot of what you want will come up...and alot of sites that might eventually get you where you want.

My TA I found at another cruise message board (no names) and I am very very happy with her...I am low maintenance but it nice to know if I need her time shes there!

Unfortunatley I don't know of a short cut to get a TA, I mean you have to interveiw them anyway.

What I wiould suggest is that when you find an agency save it to your favorites you never know when you might need that info again....even if you don't use them this time....plus its fun to compare prices and then choose the TA that not only gives the best price but the best service as well.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and good luck!

Andy

Hi and thanks for the response.

I do have a huge bookmarks file full of all things cruise, including cruise agencies. The problem really is finding out others' responses to different agencies.

For the time being, I'll probably book directly. Who knows, maybe I'll add a ratings site to my own portfolio.

Thanks all!

Tee

Just a note that the online cruise agent that I have used for about five years and who frequently offers prepaid gratuities for balcony cabins and higher has now started requiring final payment 135 days in advance of the sailing date even though Celebrity's requirement is only 60 days. Guess they feel this incentive to book with them entitles them to use my money for those extra 75 days. I called Celebrity to ask them about this and they agreed that it was excessive but assured me that the particular TA was in excellent standing with them and they had no control over their payment policies. I checked other online TAs for the sailing of the Solstice that I was interested in but my TA was the only one offering any type of incentive, so I went with them for the prepaid gratuities, a savings of $154, despite their final payment policy. However, I doubt that I would book with them again for a cruise if I was booking less than a balcony cabin or if they were not offering any type of incentive because I really resent them requiring the final payment so far in advance of what the cruise line requires.

I think I know the online TA you are referring to here as we got burned on this as well. I've booked three cruises with them but won't be doing so in the future. Guess the only cruise value is to them.

The best way to find a good TA is to have one recommended to you by a trust friend.

However, I would go and visit several Travel Agencies in your area to see if you :connect: with anyone. Face to face sometimes is the best way to get a go or no go vibe.

Do be aware though that not all TA are created equal.

Our old TA is now retired and she was ok, but one thing I found out LATER (after she retired really bugged me). As part of her credentials, she advertised her experience as being on over 250 cruises. To me this indicted a great amount of experience and a "good thing".

As it turns out, she was counting every time she had ever stepped foot on a cruise ship (for those 3 hour ship tours that cruise ships take TAs on). I told her that I felt like that was false advertisement. 3 hours and a free lunch does not constitute a cruise. She did not "cruise" anywhere.

While she may have walked around the ship...she did not experience the formal dining room, the entertainment, the child care facilities, not even the cabins. She had no experience with any of that on these ship. And there were several times (actually about 1/3rd of the time) where she was WRONG about certain questions. And I feel like it was because she did not have the "experience" she boasted about.

Just a heads up...that if you see a huge number of cruises from a TA...it may be more fluff than substance!

Buyer beware!!

The best way to find a good TA is to have one recommended to you by a trust friend.

Personal recommendations are great, but make sure that the trusted friend is also an experienced cruiser! Some people may believe they are experts after only one or two cruises LOL!

I can completely understand Teetype's question. It would be great to have an unbiased ratings list of TA's, particularly online ones - somewhat similar to those provided for vehicles, physicians, cruise ships, etc.

For the time being, I'll probably book directly. Who knows, maybe I'll add a ratings site to my own portfolio.

that would be a great idea!

i also book direct, as i've had bad luck with ta's, and on-line agencies make me nervous. how to tell a reputable company from another. then again, reputable agencies have bad ta's too.

so far i do a pretty good job on my own, but I WANT PERKS!

Hi and thanks for the response.

I do have a huge bookmarks file full of all things cruise, including cruise agencies. The problem really is finding out others' responses to different agencies.

Thanks all!

Tee

I understand how you feel - one time I used an online agency that I just picked rather randomly off the Internet to book a cruise, but I booked it just one week before sailing so there wasn't much I needed done. And I didn't even know what OBC was so I didn't know I could possibly get some. So when I wanted to book my last cruise, I contacted the same company, but this time I had nothing but problems and rude TA's (even up to the owner). They had kept a record of my debit card number for 4 years :eek: and instead of using a credit card number I gave them, they used the debit card from their files and wiped out my checking account!! I had bounced checks all over the place. They refused to admit their mistake or rectify it. So I disputed it with my bank and eventually all was OK. Needless to say, I needed a different agency to book the next cruise.

I did basically what you're doing - tried to get some tips on how to find a good TA. But it didn't work. So I just started calling some of the ones listed on CC and eventually used one of them. They're OK, but highly impersonal. In the meantime, I have gotten to know someone who is a TA and also gotten some referrals from someone by email. Now I feel better about next time using people who I either know or have good references. I wish you the best in your search, but it probably won't be profitable on CC.

I understand how you feel - one time I used an online agency that I just picked rather randomly off the Internet to book a cruise, but I booked it just one week before sailing so there wasn't much I needed done. And I didn't even know what OBC was so I didn't know I could possibly get some. So when I wanted to book my last cruise, I contacted the same company, but this time I had nothing but problems and rude TA's (even up to the owner). They had kept a record of my debit card number for 4 years :eek: and instead of using a credit card number I gave them, they used the debit card from their files and wiped out my checking account!! I had bounced checks all over the place. They refused to admit their mistake or rectify it. So I disputed it with my bank and eventually all was OK. Needless to say, I needed a different agency to book the next cruise.

I did basically what you're doing - tried to get some tips on how to find a good TA. But it didn't work. So I just started calling some of the ones listed on CC and eventually used one of them. They're OK, but highly impersonal. In the meantime, I have gotten to know someone who is a TA and also gotten some referrals from someone by email. Now I feel better about next time using people who I either know or have good references. I wish you the best in your search, but it probably won't be profitable on CC.

uhm, "profitable on CC?" Not sure what you mean by this?

Oh good grief. I would have been livid if they'd cleaned my checking out. Geeez, just the time it would cost would be painful.

I absolutely won't go hit or miss. I'll get recommendations or stay with booking my own. But I do think a website for ratings would be a valluable resource.

Tee

uhm, "profitable on CC?" Not sure what you mean by this?

Oh good grief. I would have been livid if they'd cleaned my checking out. Geeez, just the time it would cost would be painful.

I absolutely won't go hit or miss. I'll get recommendations or stay with booking my own. But I do think a website for ratings would be a valluable resource.

Tee

Meaning you probably won't get much help with your search here. (At least that is what I took it to mean. :) )

A website would be valuable - but you probably would have to give specific agents names - not everyone working for a travel agency is equally as good.

I think it really depends too on how much "hand holding" someone needs.

Someone who has never cruised needs a lot more attention and may not feel comfortable just booking something over the phone (much less the internet).

A good TA will explain things like cabin location (are folks a night owl or early bird). Is there heart set on certain ports? (because we all know those can change for various reasons) Do they enjoy a cruise that offers lots of music or educational classes? Are they into "cheesy" or more refined?

As seasoned cruisers, we have all that figured out....but to the Newbie...someone to talk them through it is invaluable.

We have used a Carnival PVP for years. But the down side to that is when we cruise another line (and we will one of these years)...we are on our own again...because our PVP can't help us.

Archived