Flights after cruise

Rosydee

We've certainly considered doing that, however I've always been too scared that we wouldn't make it...so I won't do anything before noon just to play it safe for me.

I'm so glad that we did that last time. After we disembarked, we got our luggage and cleared and took the taxi to the airport. When we were unloading at the curb I realized that I picked up someone else's garment bag that looked just like mine (right down to the yellow electrical tape that I put on). I got right back into the taxi and returned to the port. Some very nice porters helped me and got me right back on track to the airport...but I surely would have missed an early flight because of my self-professed stupidity (not to mention the additional $40 in taxi/tip).

We have found that there is a luggage check at the airport that we have used. We checked the luggage and taxied down to the mall (is it the Galleria?) and walked around and had a little lunch. We got back in plenty of time for our late afternoon flight. To us, spending a little time in FLL prior to heading home is a great way to end the holiday.

Probably 90% of the time a 10:45a flight would be possible ... but many, many things can go wrong that could prevent you from making it. First thing I would suggest is to check porttime.com and see how many other people you will be competing with for taxis and at the airport check-in and security check.

No, I've never booked that early a flight. Making a 10:45 departure hinges on everything going off without a hitch at disembark, customs and immigration, the pier, airport airline/security lines.

Keep in mind that, with all the airilnes planning to cut capacity effective in the next month or so, if you miss that early flight, the next seat available for you could be a day or two later.

You need to make sure that you know the required cut off time for check in. As the airlines have cut flights they are overselling seats and have moved the check in times out to as much as 60 minutes before the departure time.

Even if you show up before 10:45 your seat may have been given away.

Aunty Pat

Has anyone ever booked a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale after a cruise at 10:45? Do you think this would be okay? We always book later ones and end up sitting around.

My experience has been the same as yours.

90% of the time you'd be ok. That's pretty good odds.

Opinions are like noses - everybody has one ;)

Why not use logic, aka common sense.

Try basing it on:

1) How many ships are to be in port that day?

http://www.porttime.com/

2) Are there later flights that you could get on in the event you miss yours?

3) Does your schedule allow for staying over in Fort Lauderdale?

I have an 11:45AM flight booked, but it's a Friday and there are only three ships in port that day.

Also, I'm retired so staying over can be a good outcome for me.

Finally, I see you're in N. Carolina. Lovely state. I was born and raised at Fort Bragg.

Have you considered driving? It should take what, about twelve hours? You'll probably spend at least half that to/from/at airports and in the air.

Driving might even be cheaper and you wouldn't have to worry about the darned airlines.

I had an 11:30 a.m. flight out of Ft. Lauderdale, never again, I just made it and we docked on time. I had a flight out of Tampa this past March at 12:30 pm, I just about made that one as we docked 3 hours late. Anything can happen, if you realize that and are happy with possibly not making your flight, good for you, go for it.

Archived