Booking numbers?

figs

Hey guys! Quick question---why does Carnival lock out booking codes made from travel agents? My friend's mom booked our cruise for us, and she dabbles as a travel agent, so that's how she's registered on their system, I guess. I called up to get my booking number so I could see all the cruise info on Carnival's website (at least, that's my goal, I'm still new at this).

Carnival phone lady said that I'd have to ask my "travel agent" for my booking number. Problem is, my friend's mom has a very ill father, and she's totally inaccessible indefinitely. I know "if you book w/ an agent, they're your contact", but all I need is a booking number. They seriously can't just hand it over? I'm in their system, they looked me up.....sad and confused!

If you booked thru a TA, then yes, any questions about your booking need to go thru the TA, Carnival wouldnt deal with you.

This is true no matter what your question is, if there is a price decrease or anything. I always get my booking # immediately as the cruise is booked. Sometimes using a personal friend as a TA has its drawbacks.

Did you not know about the problems when you booked, wondering why she didnt give you the booking # right away. I understand you just want Carnival to get into the booking, but your TA has a PIN # that Carnival cant break into.

I recently had a similar issue with Carnival. My TA was on vacation for 4 weeks, the number that I had was not the correct number, it was only one number off. My parents booked this for cruise for the entire family and they are old school and still believe in doing everything through the TA. I was very unhappy with customer service, they are of no help in any manner if you used a TA. My next cruise will most likely be with another line. I understand as for the booking number but if I have questions re: shore excursions and such I would think they would help since they are getting my $ not the TA. Just my beef.

It's a cruise for her (friend's mom's) birthday. Last time we did this process exactly the same way, and the cruise automatically showed up online (dunno how, dunno why not this time!). It never occurred to me to ask her for the number, since I didn't need it last time, and in the end, it's not really vital for me. But now that we're getting close I'm dying of curiosity as to cabin numbers, etc, and just to be able to look at it, and say, "I'm really going!".

What if she had been a regular travel agent, and she went missing or died or something? I mean, Carnival has to have a way to get the info somehow, right? Not that I'd lie to them or anything, I don't care THAT much. I'm not desperate, just curious about why the system is set up like this. :)

No, she's not my "travel agent" per se. She's just my friend's mom, who happens to be a part-time travel agent, so she always sets these things up for us. It's not paid, or a formal relationship or anything.

I recently had a similar issue with Carnival. My TA was on vacation for 4 weeks, the number that I had was not the correct number, it was only one number off. My parents booked this for cruise for the entire family and they are old school and still believe in doing everything through the TA. I was very unhappy with customer service, they are of no help in any manner if you used a TA. My next cruise will most likely be with another line. I understand as for the booking number but if I have questions re: shore excursions and such I would think they would help since they are getting my $ not the TA. Just my beef.

As I stated the TA has a PIN # that Carnival is not able to get into the booking.

If you think Carnival is bad, try RCL, and transfer from Carnival to a TA. With Carnival you only need the PIN # your PVP sets up. With RCL you need to get a document, sign it and FAX it (or snail mail it and that takes weeks to do at best). I finally said forgetaboutit and cancelled the cruise. I dont have a FAX machine.

It makes no sense that you are blaming Carnival and the whole cruiseline because of the ineptitude of your TA.

btw, there is NO cruiseline that will discuss your booking with you if you choose to use a TA, thats why the TA is paid a commission. If you continue to use a TA full well knowing all questions have to be addressed to the TA, how is that the cruiseline's fault. Carnival owns most of the lines and RCL owns about 3 lines, and the policy is the same for all these lines.

What if she had been a regular travel agent, and she went missing or died or something? I mean, Carnival has to have a way to get the info somehow, right? Not that I'd lie to them or anything, I don't care THAT much. I'm not desperate, just curious about why the system is set up like this. :)

yes, Carnival can intercede if there is a emergency and take the booking number back, but then the TA you used isnt going to get the commission. She is making money off this booking, either that or she discounted the price to you and gave away her commission.

Up to you if you want Carnival to intercede and try to take the booking from this family friend, knowing she will lose the commission. It could also change the price if this friend gave you a discount out of her commission.

yes, Carnival can intercede if there is a emergency and take the booking number back, but then the TA you used isnt going to get the commission. She is making money off this booking, either that or she discounted the price to you and gave away her commission.

Up to you if you want Carnival to intercede and try to take the booking from this family friend, knowing she will lose the commission. It could also change the price if this friend gave you a discount out of her commission.

Hahaha....well, I do think she might be offended, as we're all going on this cruise together to celebrate HER birthday! :) And I'm sure she did give us the commission, she's my best friend's mom. Thanks for the info re: emergencies, that was really my question. Once Carnival told me there was nothing they could do, I was really just posting here to find out why the system was set up that way. Very odd, to me, but I'm sure they have their reasons not to give out information to their OWN customers. I wouldn't think that HOW you booked would affect retrieval of really basic information like a booking number (excursions, bon voyage gifts, etc---that I would understand). But eh, I'll just have to suffer through until she gets back.

I just felt that the customer service was rude. I know they own many lines. Disney was a pleasure and so was Princess. I read the gentlemen my number and he said that it was wrong. Don't you think he could have hinted to change the 1 to a 2. On another occasion I inquired about shore excursions and they told me to talk to the TA. I just feel that next time I will spend my money elsewhere. To each his own.

I always book my own "stuff" (vacations, planes, etc) but this time for the cruise I decided to use a TA. I also have a friend who is going and I booked her room online. Well once my father in law fell wheelchair bound I had to move to a handicapped room, and with the one online moving was easy peasy. Moving our room to be with our father in law in a handicapped was so stinkin difficult! Same price, same OV room, but 100x more complicated! And she didnt do anything for us, it was the same price as Carnival with no OBC or anything!

Next time I'll book it through Carnival.com all on my lonesome. Sheesh! (Sorry - went on a rant there didnt I haha)

Hahaha....well, I do think she might be offended, as we're all going on this cruise together to celebrate HER birthday! :) And I'm sure she did give us the commission, she's my best friend's mom. Thanks for the info re: emergencies, that was really my question. Once Carnival told me there was nothing they could do, I was really just posting here to find out why the system was set up that way. Very odd, to me, but I'm sure they have their reasons not to give out information to their OWN customers. I wouldn't think that HOW you booked would affect retrieval of really basic information like a booking number (excursions, bon voyage gifts, etc---that I would understand). But eh, I'll just have to suffer through until she gets back.

Here's the thing. The TA is Carnivals customer as the TA is the one who purchased the cabins. You are the TA's customer.

It may seem strange but that's it in a nutshell.

Bill

OK, I must be coming across unclearly somehow: she's not my travel agent! She's my friend's mom, who happens to be a travel agent, and we are all going on the cruise for her birthday. She did not send me any documents yet, nor would I have expected her to, this hasn't been a problem in the past, I just wanted my booking number, and thought it was weird Carnival just couldn't hand it over, as I wasn't trying to change anything. I didn't think a booking number was anything particularly travel-agent-specific. That's all.

OK, I must be coming across unclearly somehow: she's not my travel agent! She's my friend's mom, who happens to be a travel agent, and we are all going on the cruise for her birthday. She did not send me any documents yet, nor would I have expected her to, this hasn't been a problem in the past, I just wanted my booking number, and thought it was weird Carnival just couldn't hand it over, as I wasn't trying to change anything. I didn't think a booking number was anything particularly travel-agent-specific. That's all.

Carnival doesn't know you from Adam, how do they know you aren't some weird stalker trying to find out booking info about somebody.

It doesn't matter if you "paid" her to take the booking or not, she is the POC for the booking.

Carnival doesn't know you from Adam, how do they know you aren't some weird stalker trying to find out booking info about somebody.

Um, the way anyone else does it over the phone---they took my personal information and past guest number and looked up the booking. Have you never called a phone/electric/cable/banking company?

And Bill (SSO) explained it to me already. I was just clarifying, since people were still answering.

Sorry, but in Carnival's system she is YOUR TA. She is the one that OWNS the booking as a TA. She is the one who booked the cabin for you. That makes her your TA. She is the only one that can talk to Carnival on your behalf in regards to your booking. Your only other option is to talk to her supervisor as it sounds like she is sub-contracting out using a travel agency. They usually have to pay the agency $25 or so for each booking.

Dave

Archived