Good news for the Oct. 30th Pride Crosser's

Martita B.

Sailor's,

Our Cruise Director's on the Pride Oct. TA Crossing will be Jan Stearman and David E. Greene! It's been several years since we've enjoyed having these veteran CD's aboard a Pride Crossing. (all you Trivia players should be thrilled) I believe our Hot Man will be Lulu (Mr. Lalouer) who is always a delight. And we'll all welcome and be happy to see Captain Mark Dexter ~~ I so hope Cheffy Markus is aboard ~ his food is only surpassed by his pleasing personality!:p

Safe travels to Lisbon

Martita B.

Captain Anderssen is aboard the Pride now but my understanding is Capt. Dexter will board in Lisbon on Oct. 30th.

I know Capt. Dexter, from earlier e-mails. that he is planning a few special events during the Crossing.

I've met former Staff Capt. Hamish and I believe he is English but I'm not sure as to what line he was associated with before he joined Seabourn.

MB

Super news, Martha--I'll start boning up for trivia today (although David E. manages to find very obscure "facts".

Hope Nelson is at Sky Bar and Felipe is maitre d'. Thanks for the information.

Winnie

Winnie,

I really don't expect Nelson to be aboard. He's been on for months and he may be taking some time at home. I also hope he's at the Sky Bar, but am doubting it. As to Maitre'D, it'll be either Felipe or Marcel.:p

Texas is gearing up for Gustav AND Hanna ~~~:eek:

MB

I'll start boning up for trivia today (although David E. manages to find very obscure "facts". Winnie

David E stumped all of us with a few obscure trivia questions in the Greek Isles AND at Liars Club. He is soooo good!! Even the seasoned travelers that thought they had heard or knew ALL the words were stumped!!

You can find quite a few interesting/weird words at this website.... http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/index.htm

Where the word weird is interpreted broadly to mean words that refer to obscure or outlandish subjects, are in themselves rare, or which look odd.

Winnie, I want to be on your trivia team!!

Jan & David E leave the ship with many of us in Ft Lauderdale, so we should throw THEM a farewell party since they always take such good care of us!

Winnie,

I really don't expect Nelson to be aboard. He's been on for months and he may be taking some time at home. I also hope he's at the Sky Bar, but am doubting it. As to Maitre'D, it'll be either Felipe or Marcel.:p

Texas is gearing up for Gustav AND Hanna ~~~:eek:

MB

Hi Martha!

This is what Nelson's son wrote me:

Pablo Hidalgo (Chile) wrote

***** 21:51 op 6 augustus 2008

oh ...i think i have some bad news for you, my father will start his vacations the first days of september, so he can be with us on our birthdays (13 me / 22 my sister), i'm sorry,

So he might be back by the end of October. However, maybe he is taking a longer holiday, so he doesn't need to fly to the other side of the world!

Marja

Marja,

Thanks so much for this information. Lorraine called me a few days ago and said "Nelson would go on vacation very soon" ~~understandably, he is tired. I'm very fond of Ivana and the Sky Bar Team, but, like a cherry on a banana split, our dear Nelson is the star of Deck 8 and his absence is noticed by all!

Hope all is well with you across the way!:p

MB

Seabourn just advised me that the 1st November is a Saturday and a Public Holiday on the island (All Saints Day)and therefore the stores and the flower market will be closed which is a bit of a disappointment. I wonder if some of the smaller shops on the port or wine tasting shops may be open.

It is a beautiful city for a stroll so no major problem but if you are planning to stock up on Madeiran linen or needlework, flowers or Madeira, you might want to pick find it in Lisbon.

Marga

I just e-mailed a friend that lives in Funchal and ask her what stores, etc. will be open on Nov. 1st (Sat.)

I would guess all the shops along the Pier will be open. Also the large supermarket Pingo Doce in the Dolce Vita shopping centre will open as well.

The Pride will call on Funchal Oct. 18th from 9am to 11pm and I'll get "the scoop" then ~~~this is the latest we've ever stayed in Madeira.

Thanks for the update!:p I'll let you know what Margot replies.

Martita B.

I had an e-mail from my "Funchal connection" and she said all shopping centers WILL be open as well as all tourists attractions and most restaurants on Nov. 1st. --9am to 4 pm

I always enjoy looking around at the cute shops on the pier. There's a liquor store that sells "Poncha", which is a marvelous Madeira lemon/honey/liquor drink. They also sell the green wines.

MB

Matt

Yes, I heard this "rumor" 2 years ago, but then I later heard the Portuguese have been talking about building a new pier for years!

Two years ago I bought a very old , expensive special bottle of wine at the pier liquor store ~~ the owner was moving all his merchandise to his other liquor store......because of the pier's rebuild. The pier was the same last March.

Capt'n Toenis T. was presented that special wine when I went to Norway in May.

Martita B.

p.s. Here comes IKE ~~possibly a'round

Galvez. Cat 3 Sat. a.m.

Hi Martita!

Great news! Does that mean we will have more than the usual number of chef's onboard and maybe some alternative choices, diverting away from Charlie Palmers menu??? I hope so!!! I look forward to a possible culinary treat! I, for one, will volunteer to be a guinea pig taster for any new dishes, or for any new brands of Champagne they are considering - hee hee.

Did you get all the rain and wind in your part of Texas? The photos look absolutely horrific, but I am very happy the death toll was less than they had anticipated.

We got 8 inches of rain in 24 hours, but no major damage other than the usual trees down so power goes out.

Leslie

The 1st thing I do when unpacking (soon after boarding) is to select a few "outfits," run hot water in the bathtub, then hang the garments to steam. 2nd task, move the vanity chair over to the window and move one of the cocktail stools under the vanity. 3rd, call room service and make my standing order, "coffee at 7 a.m." ~~no door bell ringing or knocking.......the sweet waiters simply enter and place the coffee tray on the sofa table. Voila! Ready and waiting for me ......(they usually come over, lean down and say, "Miss Martha, your coffee is here.....are you alright?" I jump and say, "BOO!" After a few laughs, he says, "just checking on you.....") Sweet ! :p 4th, tape schedule of events, formal evenings, port callings, etc. on mirror.

5th ~~Sky Bar!:D

MB

Johnny

Yes, I also run up and check out bartender and deck waiters before the wait in the Magellan Lounge......I usually pop in and say "hello" to the Hot Man ~~

Surely do wish you were aboard for the Crossing ~~we had such a fine time in the Carib together!:D

Martita B.

(Pinkie)

I always love my routine when returning 'home' to my favorite ship....

1- Skybar to see who is bartending, have a glass of champagne (it just seems to taste better at the skybar in the open air!).

2- Swing by the spa desk to sign up for the seaweed wrap & hot stone massage (devine treats!!)

3- Another glass of champagne from a wandering waiter.

4- Head to the bow of the ship to watch the activity on the pier.

5- Check the room for luggage, if not there yet, back to the skybar for more champagne!

What I can't do Martita, is let room service bring coffee in the morning unannounced. If you remember, I was 'disinvited' to your Pirates Pajama Party last year... (something about not having any) I would hate to scare them like that first thing in the morning :eek: I might never get my coffee delivered again!

Martita,

Your tips about moving the chair and filling the tub are greatly appreceiated.I sailed with you on a crossing when you did pink with pride.I'm sailing on the legend on oct 25th from Nice to fort lauderdale. I was trying to find out who was on this cruise capt etc but have not had any sucess.

Archived