Rome Hotels before a Cruise

jerseyshoregolfer

:p All Rome Hotels are expensive. I can recommend a very nice hotel that is 200 yards from the Vatican and is in a very walkable neiborhood, at a reasonable price. Hotel Columbus is a former home to a Pope and is very historic with beautiful interior architecture and frescoes at a reasonable price for a Rome hotel. As for transfers, you may need to take a taxi to the hotel used by Windstar, but it is worth the effort. May I also suggest that you check with your TA about pre-booking and paying for excellent bus/walking tours before you arrive. They pick you up at the hotel and bring you back. Good luck!

This is a new adventure for us! Plan to visit Rome for 3 nights before a cruise next September. Any hotels that stand out? How does Windstar provide transfers to the port when you are staying in Rome beforehand. Do they provide pre and post cruise packages?

If you really want an adventure, I highly recommend you consider a lovely bed and breakfast, located about 30 minutes by train outside of Rome, called Anne's Place. We stayed there after our last Windsurf cruise. Anne is wonderful; believe everything good you read about her on Tripadvisor.

She can provide transportation to and from the port and airport at a very reasonable fee. It was wonderful to leave the bustle of Rome at the end of a busy and very hot day, and spend the evening in the peaceful countryside outside of Rome.

She will take you to the train and pick you up daily and at night, will recommend some wonderful "real" Italian restaurants, and of course, provides transportation to and from them also. One night we were exhausted and she ordered pizza for us, which we ate on her beautiful terrace. Her current rates are about 75 Euros a night, which includes breakfast.

You can purchase transfers and hotels directly from Windstar but they are very expensive. Her webpage is: http://www.byanne.com. Have a great trip, whatever you decide.

Not sure of your price range but my personal favorites in Rome are Sofitel Roma and Capo D'Africa.

More moderate choices are Caesar House Residenza and Daphne Veneto.

Rome is an exciting city with much to offer. Tripadvior is a great source of hotel info and reviews.

Look at any of the small hotels in the Trastevere neighborhood. By far one of the most interesting areas of the city for walking and exploring, dining and experiencing the Rome of the Romans. Walkable to all of the tourist sights, but still a real Roman neighborhood

• 2 weeks later...

Dittos for the Trastevere neighborhood. Check out the trip advisor reviews of Hotel Santamaria-we stayed there and loved it. A very unique and special experience. http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d239263-Reviews-Hotel_Santa_Maria-Rome_Lazio.html

ignore the comment about the "scary" neighborhood-its a great, fun, local area and is appealing during the daytime and in the eves. We arranged for a driver through someone we found on these boards. I do not rec. windstar transfers-too expensive and you waste lots of time.

Have a wonderful cruise.

• 6 years later...
:p All Rome Hotels are expensive. I can recommend a very nice hotel that is 200 yards from the Vatican and is in a very walkable neiborhood, at a reasonable price. Hotel Columbus is a former home to a Pope and is very historic with beautiful interior architecture and frescoes at a reasonable price for a Rome hotel. As for transfers, you may need to take a taxi to the hotel used by Windstar, but it is worth the effort. May I also suggest that you check with your TA about pre-booking and paying for excellent bus/walking tours before you arrive. They pick you up at the hotel and bring you back. Good luck!

The Palazzo Manfredi was wonderful and is steps from the colosseum. It was a little high but having breakfast ovelooking the history was an experience. We stayed 3 nights prior to last year's transatlantic cruise. Also recommend Dark Rome tours for Vatican and colosseum.

As for transfers, if you use Windstar, you will need to get to the hotel that Windstar uses for it's pre-cruise hotel. As for prices, I have found that Windstar hotel prices are very high compared to what you can book yourself. That being said, I have found that getting private transportation in Rome is the best bet. In the past we have used Bob's limo service. Very good and reasonably priced.

The Palazzo Manfredi was wonderful and is steps from the colosseum. It was a little high but having breakfast ovelooking the history was an experience. We stayed 3 nights prior to last year's transatlantic cruise. Also recommend Dark Rome tours for Vatican and colosseum.

Did you note this thread is from 2008; six years ago? Assume OP has finished their travel.