Oberoi Philae?

murphysmum

Hello...

Does anyone know what has happened to the Oberoi Philae?

Two years ago I booked a cruise directly through the Oberoi site as well as a few days at the Mena House.

I'm trying to book for 2009 and everything is showing up "unavailable". It seems impossible that the ship could be booked every single day for an entire year as it's callendar is showing.

I'm aware that Oberoi has a new ship, but I like the look of the old ship better and we enjoyed it thoroughly.

The only thing I've been able to find is a cruise/tour through Maupintours using the Philae, but the hotel choices are not appealing.

If anyone knows what's happened with the ship, I'd love some information.

Thanks.

murphysmum;)

Hi Murphys mom,

I am in the process of planning a trip to Egypt for my husband and myself and seem to be leaning toward Maupintours. I noticed you stated that you didn't like their choice of hotels. Since we have never been to Egypt I would like to ask what hotels you didn't like on the itinerary and which ones you like better? I am open to any and all suggestions.

thanks,

micked10

Hello...

Micked: Re: Maupintours choice of hotels, you asked which ones I would prefer. Generally I like their tour fairly well as far as itinerary....and I love the Oberoi Philae. I think their choice of Mena House with pyramid views in Giza is a great one...IF they mean in the Palace...not a distant view from the pool area. I've stayed there and I would really clarify what they're offering.

I don't usually use tour groups, but rather plan individual tours so I'm not sure if Maupintours is considered luxury, moderate, budget???, but it was the choices of Conrad Cairo and Concorde El Salam in Cairo that I didn't like. I have to say first that I really don't like chain hotels and I REALLY like hotels to reflect the culture of the country that I'm in, whether it be a luxury hotel or B&B. The Conrad is a huge square box with little Egyptian charm; the Concorde looks like a huge convention hotel with Motel 6 interiors (This is based on observations from Trip Advisor...I wouldn't have stayed there.) If I wanted to stay in a chain hotel in Cairo, I'd stay at the Marriott, which appears to be quite lovely (I've been there for dinner and admired the atmosphere.) I prefer the Four Season's Residence (actually in Giza, but right across the river from Cairo and with great access to all sights).

I'm planning on going to Petra after our trip, so I didn't really want the Alexandria part that Maupintours put in the middle of their tour, but if I did go to Alexandria I wouldn't stay at the hotel they listed...It's another square box and there are beautiful hotels in Alexandria.

To sum it up, I think their itinerary is excellent and their hotel choice is questionable. Since you've only got three nights in average hotels, the time at the Mena House and on the Philae may compensate. I didn't really look to see what the price of the tour was.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Hambaglhle...Thanks for the tip on Balesworldwide...I will check with them.

murphysmum;) I'm going to cut and paste this to the Africa/Egypt site as more people seem to be posting there re: Egypt. We may all get more help.

Murphysmum,

Thanks so much for your insight. since we have never been to egypt it sure helps to have some first hand information. We have done several tour with Maupin and have been satisfied but I am very, very picky about my hotels. The price of the tour is around $4300 without air. yes, I love the itineerary too. Wealso, usually do our own planning but since we hav enot been to Egypt I thought maybe a tour would be easier. the other one I am considering is Tauck. The hotels for these are Mena House, Steigenber Nile Palace in Luxor, but only for 1 night. fFur Seasons Hotel at First Residence ( back in Cairo) for 3 nights. The cruise ship they use is the Nile Adventurer for only 3 nights. It is an 11 day tour versus Maupins for 16 days and is slightly higher. I plan on going a few days early to get over jet lag and also to stay at the Marriott hotel for about 2 or 3 days before picking up the tour.

I am like you though and had the square box hotels. What do you think of the hotels used by Tauck?

Thanks for your help,

micked10

Hi!

As far as the Tauck hotel choices go, I like them very much. However, I did take a look at the Nile Adventurer and I think the Oberoi Philae is far superior for some of the same reasons I like boutique hotels.

The Nile Adventurer looks very nice, sleek and new, but it has no balconies that I can see. The upper deck with pool appears unprotected from sun, so unless you're able to sit in the heat all the time you won't get the lovely 360 degree view that you do from the Philae top deck. The Adventurer does offer a covered deck, but it's on the next level down at the back of the ship, reducing visibility in the direction you're going. Lastly, I don't see any mention of private docks. When last I checked, only Oberoi and A & K (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) have their own docks where you avoid side tying with up to six boats, walking from boat to boat to get off of some of the ships. It's nice to sit on your balcony when it's quiet and look at the Nile at night...or day.

So, if you're choosing between Maupintour with the Oberoi Philae for six nights (lovely) and a few nights in boxy hotels...and the price seems to be lower for more days...and Tauck with only three days on the above described ship and better hotels for a higher price....I'd personally go for Maupintour with the Oberoi Philae. I think that you will love your extra time spent on the Nile.

I've never tried to customize a "set tour", but I guess it would be possible to ask if you could stay in an upgraded hotel at the end of the trip, pay a supplement, and meet the tours by taxi in the morning at the "boxes".

I hope this is helpful. I'm still trying to find out who's using the Philae and if it's possible to book independently. This time I want six nights. I'll keep you posted...and I'd love to know what you decide to do.

Very best,

murphysmum (Janed)

Hi Janed,

Thank you for all of your helpful advice. I looked up A and K last night and they are quite a bit more expensive, but do stay in nice hotels. They use the Sunboat IV or III for their cruise ship. At the moment I am still leaning towards Maupin. I reread their itinerary and on the last day they go to Abu Simbel and then fly to back to Cairo late in the day. The farewell dinner is that night so I figure we can stand the 'box" hotel for that short time. Each tour seems to have its "trade-offs" but overall I like almost everything about Maupintours itinerary. Since we have been on several of their tours I would definitely say they are deluxe and extrememly well organized. I do want to stay at Mena House and to the Nile Cruise on the Oberoi so guess we can take the Conrad and the Concorde for those few nights. We can't go until Oct. or Nov. of 2009 since this year is booked up. That leaves me a little time to ponder over the tours.

If you think of anything else that will help please let me know. I will definitely let you know what we decide.

Thanks again.

micked10 (Darlene)

We are going to Egypt and Jordan in November with International Expeditions. It's a university-sponsored tour but the general public can book on it as well. The tour includes the Mena House at the beginning of the trip and four nights on the Oberoi Philae. It also includes all internal flights on a private 50-seat jet. Why not Google them and see if meets your needs.

Hello...

Thanks for your suggestion re: International Expeditions. I took a look at their Egypt trip (I happened to get their brochure in the mail today.) and it really does look great! I guess that I could quit being so obsessive about hotels and stay at the Hyatt for a night. Actually, this time I'd fly to Cairo a few days early to see some of the sights that we missed last time that are not usually included in tours. This is the most well-organized trip that I've seen as I wanted to go to Petra anyway.

There are some great trips in the newest brochure. I've never been to India and there trip covers exactly what I want to see. I also like their Galapagos tour; we've been wanting to go back.

I know this is a bit off the Egypt topic, but for those who've never been to Belize, the International Expeditions trip is excellent. We've essentially done that trip on our own and the accomodations and organization of trip are spot on.

Let's all enjoy our travels...and thanks again, Riverroad..Great recommendation!

murphysmum;)

Glad you think this is a great trip. I'm very nervous about it so it's good to get an opinion from someone who's done a lot of research. We did none. We're going because it's sponsored by my husband's university and we'll have a history professor, whose specialty is the Middle East, on the trip with us. I know the Hyatt doesn't get very good reviews but as you say, we'll manage for one night.

murphysmum:

Based on your user id, I'm assuming that you're a woman. If you aren't, feel free to ignore this.

If you want to do Egypt and Jordan that included cruising the Nile and visiting Petra, and would like to do in the company of a group of women, take a look at the Adventure Women offering.

Archived