First cruise

condor

Hi Everyone,

We are taking our first Seabourn cruise on the Spirit leaving on Oct. 18th from Venice and ending in Civitavecchia. I'm concerned about seasickness. Has anyone sailed these waters in Oct.?

Any recommendations regarding shore excursions?

Thanks for the input,

Condor

Condor, I have sailed these waters in October.

Each time can be different. The waters may be totally calm or you might have a few hours with some choppy waters. No one can say with certainty. We have been on several cruises between on these waters and had slightly different experiences. The odds say that the waters should be fairly calm but do prepare for a little bit of choppy waters.

Each person has their own remedy. For us, Bonine works well. The key is to take it before you are bothered by the seas.

The weather in Venice can vary this time of the year. It can be warm or even cold. A few years ago we were there on a back to back cruise so we had three days there. The first day was chilly and we needed light jackets and the second day was milder and the third day was warm.

You are sailing a wonderful itineary and it's a great time of the year to visit these places as you don't have the hot/humid temperatures of the summertime and you have less passengers in port. Venice will still seem crowded because it always is with the exception of say December and January but it will still be great as will the other ports.

Keith

check out the boards for advice....the doge's palace in Venice has a secret tour...the tour isn't a secret its a tour of the secret places in the palace including Cassanovas's cell.

harder to search the boards without the search function working so maybe google the ports instead

Cruise Critic is like AA...once you have been on a cruise you will be hooked like the rest of us.

have a great time

Welcome Condor!

Please be prepared as to an "eye opening" experience! And to being spoiled rotten! The great 6* service, food wines, excursions, etc. will entice you to book another sailing while aboard!:D

You may purchase the seasick tablets at the Purser Desk. (Deck 5)

Also, Seabourn has marvelous medical staff's ~~I don't believe you'll suffer any motion sickness but just in case don't hesitate to visit the Doctor. (1 tiny 'lit injection will cure a sea malady)

Again, "Welcome to our Seabourn family!"

Martita B.

I get seasick really easily...have not experienced much on the big ships...but I do carry the wristbands with the little plastic ball...these push against a pressure point in your wrist and help against seasickness..not sure if its psycological or real but it does help...you can get them on the ship or in most drug stores...unless the seas are really rough you will not notice much

Condor,

I agree with Martha -- abandon all hope ye who enter here!!! You have made a great pick for a first cruise and will likely contract a dire case of Seabournitis -- the only remedy is of course more trip on Seabourn.

We have cruised the Med twice on Seabourn and are about to launch on our third very soon -- rarely have we encountered rough water but it is possible. But remember that while Seabourn only carries 200 passengers because it is all suite and carries a large crew. Size and weight wise it is more comparable to ships that carry 200 passengers. (Sailor Boy would tell you that it is comparable in size to a U.S. Navy destroyer -- that however means very little to most of us).Not only that but the ships have side stabilizers that help reduce the motion of the seas ( well except that time when we were in the Caribbean with Martha and Jane B and they had run aground on the previous week busting one of the stabilizers and we sort of listed around for a week until the ship could get back to Ft. Lauderdale for repairs). Now I actually enjoy a little motion -- when I am laying in bed at night I sort of have the sensation of being rocked to sleep.When things get a little rough ( only once in S.E. Asia) I use the pressure wrist bands. And like many of us you can take a precaution by booking a suite on the lowest level midship.

Hi, Condor!

My first cruise ever was on Seabourn / June-July 2007. I am prone to motion sickness and I was very concerned before the trip. Everyone told me that the water would be like glass that time of year in the Med. Not to worry!

Actually, we had 3 days that were very rough. "Motion in the Ocean" as the Captain lovingly referred to it. I brought tablets & the wrist bands with me. When things got rough, I put on the bands! They really work.

Also, the ship has sugar coated ginger at the entrance to the dining room. That's a wonderful natural cure. I never needed to resort to the tablets.:D

My second cruise, June-July of 2008 really was like glass....only one quasi rough night.

When you're in bed it doesn't seem to impact the same way. Though, on both cruises my bed was facing forward...would that make a difference?

Weirdly enough, I started to enjoy it when the seas are a bit rough. There is definitely something to that "mind over matter" thing!

Don't spend a lot of time worrying about it....

Also, the doctor on board has the meds to take care of it, if need be!

Have a wonderful trip! You're in good hands!

Grace

While having the Doctor and nurse onboard is terrific, don't forget there are charges associated with a visit, even if for motion sickness. Better to bring some Bonine from home (very cheap) and be sure to start it before you set foot on the ship.

Seasick remedies such as Bonine etc. work well, but they can make you very drowsy. Try a little ginger first. It is available in the ship's dining room in a small bowl by the door, or you can buy it in various forms at a pharmacy or travel store. If it works for you (and it seems to work for between 1/3 and 1/2 the people who try it) then you won't experience the side effects.

As an aside, I have much less trouble on SB and SD than on larger ships. The motion on a small ship is more predictable and you can see the horizon so I usually get used to the motion in 24 hours. On a big ship it is more of a "wallowing" motion and many times I can't see outside so my eyes and my inner ear experience different inputs and I experience motion sickness.

Next trip... Legend Feb 09 :)

Not only will candied ginger relieve a queasy feeling but Ginger Ale is also excellent. I'm not prone to sea sickness but I always keep Ginger Ale, fresh orange slices and a few sprigs of mint in my suite. Just mention it to your Stewardess.

Last March Pride TA I suffered a bout of "reverse vertigo" ~~I believe it was Dr. Herra who realized I was sailing backwards ! It's a very uncomfortable feeling (different from being sea sick) so from now on I will always book a suite where I sail forward . (this phenomenon was a 1st for me)

Have a grand voyage:p

Martita B.

Archived