Loyal Celebrity cruisers try RCCL - LONG review

lysolqn

Yeah, in effect that is what I am suggesting. And it could extend far beyond dining. Didn't I read in another thread where they are now roping off sections of the theatre (front rows) for suite guests? Its hardly a jump to think that it won't extend to dining as well.

Sounds as though you are describing NCL. They do that (at least they did on our recent Jewel Baltics cruise). And, of course, they have their special suites with their own spa, etc. And lots of specialty restaurants.

(I should clarify that the roped-off seats are not in the front row but in a special section nevertheless.)

Lysolqn - I enjoyed your review and I think it was not only well done, but very objective. I would love to pick your brain on Celebrity! We love RCCI ... but then before them we only went once on a short Carnival cruise. Celebrity has interested me for a long time. We've been on the AOS, The Explorer and last February went on the Freedom. We're spoiled since the AOS when we got a Jr. Suite on Deck 10 ... so since then get the same accomodations. We love the size of the Jr. Suite. We like the shows, enjoy the dining experience (although I wouldn't say the food was fabulous, but certainly nothing to complain that much about ... it is what it is on a ship that size, I think) ... we enjoy the size of the Voyager and yes, the Freedom has that 'Wow' thing going on. But, I have to say, I liked the Voyager size a little better. We're looking for a cruise and seriously thinking Celebrity. I would like to email you directly, if possible, to get more info on what you would suggest with Celebrity. We're platinum Crown & Anchor members and wonder if that helps any with booking Celebrity and also what you think would be comparable to the Jr. Suite on the top passenger deck on Celebrity, which ship, etc. Let me know! Thanx! Charron

Lysolqn - I enjoyed your review and I think it was not only well done, but very objective. I would love to pick your brain on Celebrity! We love RCCI ... but then before them we only went once on a short Carnival cruise. Celebrity has interested me for a long time. We've been on the AOS, The Explorer and last February went on the Freedom. We're spoiled since the AOS when we got a Jr. Suite on Deck 10 ... so since then get the same accomodations. We love the size of the Jr. Suite. We like the shows, enjoy the dining experience (although I wouldn't say the food was fabulous, but certainly nothing to complain that much about ... it is what it is on a ship that size, I think) ... we enjoy the size of the Voyager and yes, the Freedom has that 'Wow' thing going on. But, I have to say, I liked the Voyager size a little better. We're looking for a cruise and seriously thinking Celebrity. I would like to email you directly, if possible, to get more info on what you would suggest with Celebrity. We're platinum Crown & Anchor members and wonder if that helps any with booking Celebrity and also what you think would be comparable to the Jr. Suite on the top passenger deck on Celebrity, which ship, etc. Let me know! Thanx! Charron

Sounds as though you are describing NCL. They do that (at least they did on our recent Jewel Baltics cruise). And, of course, they have their special suites with their own spa, etc. And lots of specialty restaurants.

(I should clarify that the roped-off seats are not in the front row but in a special section nevertheless.)

Hey, maybe I was describing NCL, although it wasn't intentional because I have only cruised twice, and both times on RCI. Just seems to me that that's the way things seem to be headed, for better or worse.

For the worst, in my opinion, but it may still be better in the long run for RCI. I dunno. Time will tell I guess.

Sorry, cruisingator2, but I respectfully take exception to your suggestion that I presented anything less than what you refer to as the "entire story" with respect to the $14.95 charge for steak in the dining room. I read the thread for which you provided a link and was perplexed by those who insisted I was being less than truthful. It's interesting to see how defensive some people become when something unflattering but nonetheless accurate is mentioned about their favorite cruise line. No matter how you slice it (no pun intended!), dinner menus on last week's sailing of Freedom of the Seas offered a steak entree upgrade for a price. Paying to upgrade your entree at dinner leaves as bitter a taste in my mouth as paying to upgrade your morning juice to fresh-squeezed.

We were on the Liberty (sister ship) and did not see the up charge... BUT, we're not steak eaters so we're not aware quite possibly. The orange juice (fresh) charge sucks!

charge

Did you take advantage of the Diamond Club on 14? You did say you were D

Thanks for your kind words. If you post your e-mail address, I gladly send mine off to you. It would be my pleasure to offer any information about X that might be of help to you.

We were on the Liberty (sister ship) and did not see the up charge... BUT, we're not steak eaters so we're not aware quite possibly. The orange juice (fresh) charge sucks!

charge

Did you take advantage of the Diamond Club on 14? You did say you were D

We are diamond by virtue of our elite status in Celebrity's Captain's Club. We stopped in twice and were a bit underwhelmed by the Diamond Club. It's perfectly nice - small, quiet, unaccessible to anyone who doesn't have a key card to gain entry, there's a coffee machine that runs all day, hor d'ourves (did I spell that correctly?) and drinks are available in the evening (never availed ourselves of either), the concierge was pleasant - but we really didn't find it much to write home about. It's a nice perk but that's about it. (I better duck now, 'cause here come the flames! LOL)

Great review!

Yes, the nickle and diming makes me sad as well. My cruise history shows a large period (from 1993 to 2008) where we didn't sail because we preferred to go to Sandals and Beaches resorts. Even they have started with finding ways to offer/apply upcharges. :mad:

You aren't nickel and dimed unless you buy the specialty ice cream, etc. I don't, so I don't consider myself nickel and dimed on a RCL cruise.

Lys, thanks for the review. Given your detailed experiences with X it is easy for me having never sailed Celebrity to reverse engineer your review and get some idea of what X is like ;) I thought you did a great job. If you were to miss the clingy shower curtain, you can book Majesty of the Seas. :D

Lys, thanks for the review. Given your detailed experiences with X it is easy for me having never sailed Celebrity to reverse engineer your review and get some idea of what X is like ;) I thought you did a great job. If you were to miss the clingy shower curtain, you can book Majesty of the Seas. :D

Thanks, but I think I'll pass on the shower curtain!

I just scanned the entire thread. The first thought that came to mind of course was that the OP would have probably liked the Radiance class much more.

Still the same food issues of course but those are built on the same hull as the M class and have the same RCI Wow! factor especially the 11 deck centrum and the solarium themed pool which blows away the M class domed pool. Pet the stone elephants and the cast bronze pumas for me now.:)

We are diamond by virtue of our elite status in Celebrity's Captain's Club. We stopped in twice and were a bit underwhelmed by the Diamond Club. It's perfectly nice - small, quiet, unaccessible to anyone who doesn't have a key card to gain entry, there's a coffee machine that runs all day, hor d'ourves (did I spell that correctly?) and drinks are available in the evening (never availed ourselves of either), the concierge was pleasant - but we really didn't find it much to write home about. It's a nice perk but that's about it. (I better duck now, 'cause here come the flames! LOL)

Yea, The natives get restless!

Happy cruising.

As seasoned cruisers on Princess, RCCL, Holland America, X , Azamara, and even a few Carnival, we are looking forward to a week on Freedom soon. We appreciate your candid review of the ship. We know each lines products and base our expectations on past experiences. By doing this, we can always have a good time. Your review will help with our expectations for our upcoming cruise.

What a great review - I have sailed Celebrity more than any other line - but have sailed RCL and NCL

I doubt I could have put a review quit so eloquently =

A great comparision and just an all around good review

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I have always loved Celebrity - I suppose because it was the first cruise line I ever sailed - but I do choose to go on other lines for different reasons and cruise experiences. I choose NCL sometimes just so I do not have to pack the dressy clothes - A week of capri's and sandals woo hoo.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the excellent review. We have 4 cruises booked (3 RCCL and the 4th with Celebrity) and have discussed the possibility of our abandoning RCCL if the Celebrity product is as superior as it sounds. We had not been disappointed with Royal Caribbean's MDR food until our most recent cruise (last month) where three of our evening meals were so displeasing that we didn't consume the entrees. We love the RCCL ship designs and hope that our last MDR experience was and oddity.

Skiiergirl, in effect, what you and HorrorFan are suggesting is a return to the class-system of cruising yesteryear which may, in fact, be the direction in which things are destined to go. Cunard has been doing it forever and Celebrity's new Solstice-class ships will offer Aqua-class(?) cabins affording those passengers an exclusive dining room with more health-conscious offerings. I, for one, would hate to see cruising revert to a class- or tiered-system because after separate dining rooms would come separate pool areas, separate bars, separate theaters and, inevitably, a return to the actual physical barriers of years past, designed to prevent the "lower" classes from mingling with the

"upper."

This sounds like the Titanic!:eek:

Thank you for the excellent review. We have 4 cruises booked (3 RCCL and the 4th with Celebrity) and have discussed the possibility of our abandoning RCCL if the Celebrity product is as superior as it sounds. We had not been disappointed with Royal Caribbean's MDR food until our most recent cruise (last month) where three of our evening meals were so displeasing that we didn't consume the entrees. We love the RCCL ship designs and hope that our last MDR experience was and oddity.

What ship were you on for your most recent cruise?

I had a very similiar experience on BR in June. We have agreed that our the MDR food has been declining over the last 3 years or so but were not really "displeased" with it until this last cruise.

Thanks so much for your review Lysolqn, my DH and I feel exactly the same way. We have sailed on X and RCCL and you have nailed our sentiments exactly. We select our cruises pretty much based on itinerary and do love both cruise lines but do prefer X for those intimate spaces and exceptional food.

Archived