$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

i heard that even the SURCHARGES will soon have SURCHARGES!:eek: :rolleyes:

Can't get a surcharge if passengers refuse to take a cruise because of paying too many surcharges. We took a land vacation to Boca Rotan this year instead of a cruise. One-third the cost of a cruise and had a blast. When costs rise to the ridiculous then the cruises stop.

Hope the cruiseline execs are reading the Boards!!

headusher

It's a stretch to compare the US economy on the brink of failure to a $15 steak on RCI. Please get a grip.

I'm comparing their short-sightedness. People are not complaining about a $15 steak, they're complaining about a way of doing business. You have an offensive manner of posting, btw.;)

Hmmmm... since apparently they are cutting back combining the stock ownership OBC's and Loyalty programs, think of all those RCL Diamond Members rushing out to sell their stock, because gee, a $200 balcony discount is worth more than $100 OBC for owning the stock and if I can't combine them anymore, why own the stock? And that is going to increase dividends?

Oh and when newbies to the cruise industry find out you have to pay for food in the MDR on RCL but not on Princess or Carnival so they choose to try their first cruise experience on one of the other lines, that is going to increase dividends?

Can't get a surcharge if passengers refuse to take a cruise because of paying too many surcharges. We took a land vacation to Boca Rotan this year instead of a cruise. One-third the cost of a cruise and had a blast. When costs rise to the ridiculous then the cruises stop.

Yeah I'm getting there myself. It's not so much the cost as the whole vacation experience. The constant upselling of wine and soda at dinner is enough of a bother, it's going to be a pain trying to fend off food offers as well, and you know it is not going to stop at steak.

I can certainly understand the concern some might have that the steak option could lead to future upgrade entrees in the MDR.

However, a close look at the many menus posted here reveals this:

Many Pasta dishes served differently- Rigitoni, Linguini, Ravioli, Penne.

Chichen dishes with different names

Kaju Paneer Dhansak- How to you upgrade something I cannot pronounce?

Some Fish dishes- Salmon, Sea Bass

Vegetable and Vegi dishes.

Could they "upgrade" to a better Duck or better Lamb? I suppose so.

The one product that could throw this food budget into disaray is buying and serving thousands of "high quality" steaks in the MDR. They decided years ago not to do this. Be skeptical if you so desire but as far as the MDR is concerned I think the fear is unwarranted. JMO.

Yeah I think they could force you to upgrade all those choices: they would just downgrade those basic dishes, like serving them in a stew or with a very basic sauce, and if you wanted an actual piece of meat, that would be extra. Price games are insidious, and one way that they start is by letting the customer think that he is the one who is making the choice.

"I can have something that is better, and it is my choice! WowIamsolucky"

Maybe we should just hold a mock funeral for the death of the old way of cruising, mourn our loss and move on. I say this simply because it's all so sad. We have enjoyed a way to relax and be carefree on our vacations. The all inclusive idea was not to get something for nothing or take advantage of anyone, but it created an atmosphere of being cared for and being totally relaxed. As the old way of life is being carved up to compensate for the floundering economy (this is not a statement on whether it's justified), we all grieve the loss of a place in which we found comfort and release. All inclusive cruising is going the way of many wonderful old traditions. Once we find a new haven, we will all flock there and leave the sadness of cruising and what once was, behind us. It's only during this transition period while we are still looking for our new vacation habit, that we struggle with this loss. Anger is just easier than sadness and people (logically) resent when something special is being taken away from them. Everything else in our lives is being turned upside down and stress is so pervasive, that losing our last bastion of peace is so very hard to swallow.

For a transcript of my soap box rant, please write to PO Box........... (lol)

Maybe we should just hold a mock funeral for the death of the old way of cruising, mourn our loss and move on. I say this simply because it's all so sad. We have enjoyed a way to relax and be carefree on our vacations. The all inclusive idea was not to get something for nothing or take advantage of anyone, but it created an atmosphere of being cared for and being totally relaxed. As the old way of life is being carved up to compensate for the floundering economy (this is not a statement on whether it's justified), we all grieve the loss of a place in which we found comfort and release. All inclusive cruising is going the way of many wonderful old traditions. Once we find a new haven, we will all flock there and leave the sadness of cruising and what once was, behind us. It's only during this transition period while we are still looking for our new vacation habit, that we struggle with this loss. Anger is just easier than sadness and people (logically) resent when something special is being taken away from them. Everything else in our lives is being turned upside down and stress is so pervasive, that losing our last bastion of peace is so very hard to swallow.

For a transcript of my soap box rant, please write to PO Box........... (lol)

Ok, but... what about all of the people that go to the buffet and eat tray load after tray load of food. Or the gluttons who bragged about eating a dozen lobster tails. Many people took advantage of the cruiselines. Not that I care personally, but still some definitely took advantage and have contributed in their small way to the way the world is now. Wishing for the way it was is fine, but .... this thread has gone a bit beyond that.

jc

[quote name='DON M.']I can certainly understand the concern some might have that the steak option could lead to future upgrade entrees in the MDR.[/QUOTE]

Well, my concern goes way beyond charging for "upgrade entrees". My fear is that if they are successful here they will eventually start charging for everything in the dining room with the real target point being doing away with the MDR entirely. It takes up so much space and think how much additional revenue they could generate if they got hold of all that space!
Then we will be left with the Windjammer remaining "free" and a slew of pay as you go "Specialty" restaurants. Think of the lines outside of the Windjammer for people waiting to get a "free" meal.

Picture a Restaurant Row, so to speak, of everything from Johnny Rockets to McDonalds, to Taco Bell to Pizza Hut, to Red Lobster to The Olive Garden to Outback Steakhouse to the more upscale options like fine Chain Steak and Seafood places. None of these even need to be owned by RCL. They will just rent out the space to these restaurant chains. Of course you will be charged for everything you order just like at the restaurants back home. And the service? Well, what do you think?

If this is what you want then speak up and cheer for the Advertising of food for a charge on the MDR menus. Or just remain silent about the whole thing. That works just as well.

But if this is NOT what you want, then speak out against this first attempt at Advertising food for sale on the MDR menu.

[quote name='lori450']Maybe we should just hold a mock funeral for the death of the old way of cruising, mourn our loss and move on. I say this simply because it's all so sad. We have enjoyed a way to relax and be carefree on our vacations. The all inclusive idea was not to get something for nothing or take advantage of anyone, but it created an atmosphere of being cared for and being totally relaxed. As the old way of life is being carved up to compensate for the floundering economy (this is not a statement on whether it's justified), we all grieve the loss of a place in which we found comfort and release. All inclusive cruising is going the way of many wonderful old traditions. Once we find a new haven, we will all flock there and leave the sadness of cruising and what once was, behind us. It's only during this transition period while we are still looking for our new vacation habit, that we struggle with this loss. Anger is just easier than sadness and people (logically) resent when something special is being taken away from them. Everything else in our lives is being turned upside down and stress is so pervasive, that losing our last bastion of peace is so very hard to swallow.

For a transcript of my soap box rant, please write to PO Box........... (lol)[/QUOTE]

Well, I for one am not "Angry". I am just trying to get the powers that be at RCL to reconsider this decision.

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Ok, but... what about all of the people that go to the buffet and eat tray load after tray load of food. Or the gluttons who bragged about eating a dozen lobster tails. Many people took advantage of the cruiselines. Not that I care personally, but still some definitely took advantage and have contributed in their small way to the way the world is now. Wishing for the way it was is fine, but .... this thread has gone a bit beyond that.

jc[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? Just how many people and how many times did you see people eating "tray load after tray load of food"? And again, how many people, how many times, bragging about "eating a dozen lobster tails"? Now you are blaming the cruise customers for this? Nice.

This thread is beginning to sound like the My Time Dining threads of yesteryear. Remember the never ending complaining that it was going to ruin cruising on RCI forever and the polls that proved the majority didn't want My Time. We'll My Time has appeared to have been a success. I've not seen many complaints and where is everyone who was going to jump ship over it? They're still here beating their drums to another dining cause that they have little control over once again.

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Ok, but... what about all of the people that go to the buffet and eat tray load after tray load of food. Or the gluttons who bragged about eating a dozen lobster tails. Many people took advantage of the cruiselines. Not that I care personally, but still some definitely took advantage and have contributed in their small way to the way the world is now. Wishing for the way it was is fine, but .... this thread has gone a bit beyond that.

jc[/QUOTE]

You're right. There are always some bad apples in the barrel.

[quote name='Jeka']This thread is beginning to sound like the My Time Dining threads of yesteryear. Remember the never ending complaining that it was going to ruin cruising on RCI forever and the polls that proved the majority didn't want My Time. We'll My Time has appeared to have been a success. I've not seen many complaints and where is everyone who was going to jump ship over it? They're still here beating their drums to another dining cause that they have little control over once again.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. My Time was first. Now this. Then the MDR...."poof" gone. Little Control over? If everyone just goes along with or remains silent, sure they have no control. I am just trying to do something. We have gotten an indication that the RCL Corporate office is aware of this thread. Why not try to stop this thing now?

[quote name='Ladylouwho']Well, my concern goes way beyond charging for "upgrade entrees". My fear is that if they are successful here they will eventually start charging for everything in the dining room with the real target point being doing away with the MDR entirely. It takes up so much space and think how much additional revenue they could generate if they got hold of all that space!
Then we will be left with the Windjammer remaining "free" and a slew of pay as you go "Specialty" restaurants. Think of the lines outside of the Windjammer for people waiting to get a "free" meal.

Picture a Restaurant Row, so to speak, of everything from Johnny Rockets to McDonalds, to Taco Bell to Pizza Hut, to Red Lobster to The Olive Garden to Outback Steakhouse to the more upscale options like fine Chain Steak and Seafood places. None of these even need to be owned by RCL. They will just rent out the space to these restaurant chains. Of course you will be charged for everything you order just like at the restaurants back home. And the service? Well, what do you think?

If this is what you want then speak up and cheer for the Advertising of food for a charge on the MDR menus. Or just remain silent about the whole thing. That works just as well.

But if this is NOT what you want, then speak out against this first attempt at Advertising food for sale on the MDR menu.[/QUOTE]

Interesting concept if not radical. I suppose eliminating the MDR that has been associated with cruising for over 100 years could be a possibilty, just not in our lifetime.

As far as the selling of food in the MDR, I am a steak lover and I do not understand why 1 or 2 nights a week they have not offered at least a "choice" steak on the menu for the past 15 or more years. The "free" steak is a joke and no one will convince me otherwise. So if in Aug on the AOS, I have a choice of no steak for 7 days or paying for a very good steak (maybe) ,I would do the latter and worry about the consequences at another time.

[quote name='DON M.']Interesting concept if not radical. I suppose eliminating the MDR that has been associated with cruising for over 100 years could be a possibilty, just not in our lifetime.

As far as the selling of food in the MDR, I am a steak lover and I do not understand why 1 or 2 nights a week they have not offered at least a "choice" steak on the menu for the past 15 or more years. The "free" steak is a joke and no one will convince me otherwise. So if in Aug on the AOS, I have a choice of no steak for 7 days or paying for a very good steak (maybe) ,I would do the latter and worry about the consequences at another time.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% That is why people should be lobbying RCL for a better quality steak to be included in the MDR rather than agreeing to pay extra for it. RCL could make their customers happy by offering a good steak to begin with and use the ambiance and service, as well as food choices to draw their customers to the specialty restaurants. I think the way they are handling this is just tacky and a cheap way to make an extra buck. If that is the way they do business, then why do you think it will take them so long to take over that MDR space to make even more $$$$ per square foot. I think we will see it during our lifetime, but the traditional cruising will still remain, only on the more upscale ships. Now of course, this is JMO.

[quote name='DON M.']Interesting concept if not radical. I suppose eliminating the MDR that has been associated with cruising for over 100 years could be a possibilty, just not in our lifetime.
[/quote]

Isn't NCL doing that with the F3 ships? No MDR. Just smaller restaurants. Some pay fors, some free.

[quote name='DON M.']

As far as the selling of food in the MDR, I am a steak lover and I do not understand why 1 or 2 nights a week they have not offered at least a "choice" steak on the menu for the past 15 or more years. The "free" steak is a joke and no one will convince me otherwise. So if in Aug on the AOS, I have a choice of no steak for 7 days or paying for a very good steak (maybe) ,I would do the latter and worry about the consequences at another time.[/quote]

I agree. The steak we had on Legends was tough and had gristle. I believe that they should have a good quality steak occasionally (included in the price).

[/QUOTE]

Don, not to debate its demise, but wasn't the midnight buffet also associated with cruising for just about forever? It disappeared in our lifetime. Again, I'm not trying to start a debate on whether it was a good or bad move. But if something that was so intimately tied with cruising as that can go its own way what makes the MDR any different?

[quote name='Ladylouwho']Agree 100% That is why people should be lobbying RCL for a better quality steak to be included in the MDR rather than agreeing to pay extra for it. RCL could make their customers happy by offering a good steak to begin with and use the ambiance and service, as well as food choices to draw their customers to the specialty restaurants. I think the way they are handling this is just tacky and a cheap way to make an extra buck. If that is the way they do business, then why do you think it will take them so long to take over that MDR space to make even more $$$$ per square foot. I think we will see it during our lifetime, but the traditional cruising will still remain, only on the more upscale ships. Now of course, this is JMO.[/QUOTE]

Iam a open-minded person who is beginning to agree with you on the $14.95 steak. Iam sure in recent years they have saved millions with smaller portions (a good thing) and having a menu heavy on inexpensive pasta, chicken, Indian, and vegi dishes etc.

They have the kitchen overflowing with returned steaks and complaints and instead of absorbing some costs to offer a "good quality" steak once a week, they choose to offer it at a charge. I don't care if they break-even on the steak its bad business.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]A misconception that a lot of the RCL defenders are trying to fob off here when they trot out the old “It’s just another choice”defense:[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal] Offering a filet mignon, a T-bone or some other steak a couple of nights a week as a featured entrée is not nearly the same as offering the alternative steak even night of a cruise.
When we’ve sailed with RCL on 7-nighters, for instance, the alternative menu EVERY NIGHT has included a basic salmon and a sirloin.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal] In addition, the special entrees on specific evenings occasionally included a different salmon dish, or a different steak … and on other evenings offered neither.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal] So you had the choice of steak seven nights a week (all could be sirloin, or some might be the featured entrée) or salmon seven nights a week (again, each one could be the basic salmon dish, or others might be the more fancy featured entrees)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal] Those are what rational people call CHOICES.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal] Take away that nightly sirloin, and you are left with FEWER choices.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B]
[B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal] At this stage of the debate, we know anyone claiming the $14.95 steak is a harmless extra choice is either uninformed, unimaginably dense or … fibbing.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/B]

[SIZE=3][B][I][COLOR=teal][FONT=Comic Sans MS] So a few questions that the KonsolidatedKoolAid can’t or won’t answer:[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[LIST]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]Truly, if this upsell dining room trial succeeds, HOW could RCL stop itself from encroaching further? Hypothetically, let’s say they clear $600,000 in profit – or even $6 million – off the $14.95 steak if it’s sold fleetwide for a full year. [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]RCL is a multibillion-dollar company; $6 million isn’t remotely close to a make-or-break number. [/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]In other words, if Fain is desperate enough to actually NEED the extra revenue by demolishing a core component of traditional cruising (no prices in the MDR), then his hunger for more cash must be enormous … and won’t possibly be satisfied by the steak.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LIST][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal][B][I]The steak itself is ... peanuts.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

You know I think that most of us just see this as one more lost thing of cruising, not that it is a big deal right now that there is a charge of 14 whatever for a steak, its just one more thing that seems to be going by the way side,( food in MDR included in cruise fare) and the dinning experance as we have known it.

My in-laws cruised some 30 years ago on there first cruise and the thing that I remember the most that they talked about was, the food, how beautiful it was, the midnight buffets, ( with an s ) and the ice carvings,and the shows, I could not tell you how big there cabin was or what size the pool area was. But I can tell you that they had steak and lobster.

When you talk to someone about cruising that has never been on a cruise what is one of the first things that they say,..... wow I have heard that food on a cruise is wonderful, so..... I guess I have to wonder why are they messing with one of the things that have drawn people to talk about cruising for so many years.As those of us that have cruised many times we know that there is much more to a cruise then just the food. But people still associate
good food included in the cruise fare.

I guess I just like cruising the way that it is and don't want to see changes, So many things have been cut out since we first started crusing and some of them we really miss.

Archived