$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in cruise critic we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

1. Buying a stronger whip.

2. Changing riders.

3. Say things like, "This is the way we have always ridden this horse."

4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.

5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.

6. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.

7. Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.

8. Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.

9. Comparing the state of dead horses in todays environment.

10. Change the requirements declaring that "This horse is not dead."

11. Hire contractors to ride the dead horse.

12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.

13. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."

14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.

15. Do a Cost Analysis study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.

16. Purchase a product to make dead horses run faster.

17. Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.

18. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.

19. Revisit the performance requirements for horses.

20. Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.

21. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

Way too funny! Yes, it's time to bury Trigger.

I guess by your comments, it is obvious you don't like RCI. Why cruise on them then??

It is also obvious you have no business sense either. In order for RCI or other cruise lines to go back 20yrs the prices would have to go up dramatically, and quite frankly it would price a lot of people out of the market. That certainly would not be good, and the cruise lines know it.

Do you have some magical solution to lower food prices about 300%, and that is conservative for most items.

If you want to go the the standards of old, then look elsewhere, as you won't be seeing them on the mass market lines. There are plenty of other upscale lines you can give your money to.

People need to stop living in the past and understand that nothing stays the same forever.

If I remember correctly, according to their last financial statement, RC is not doing too badly. I don't think it is living in the past to expect RC to provide essentially the same product that has been successful for them, and meets the expectations of loyal cruisers. Looking at current booking prices, I think the fares have gone up sufficiently to cover cost increases, and of course fuel price increases are being addressed separately. The corporate suits are trying to wring a little extra profit from the food operation, and in doing so, may change the product sufficiently to alienate the cruise consumer. Think it can't happen? - it was the highly-paid corporate brains that have the American auto industry in the shape it is, by not being enough in touch to anticipate what the consumer would want.

Ok, I love RCCL and have never had an issue with any of their cruises, policies, and offers of alternative dining with surcharges,etc. But this one bothers me. I have alot of food allergies and the alternative steak on the menu has always been a safe option for me. I have to forgo much in restaurant dining at home and would hate to be relegated to plain chicken and fish on cruise ships, too. Steak is the one thing I can count on to still have flavor without seasonings. :( If this becomes standard on all their cruise ships, it is the first thing they have ever done that may actually alter are future cruise plans. I understand they have to make cuts somewhere and generate more revenue, but I , personally, don't think this is the place to make it.

I totally agree with you! I have several food allergies as well - seafood and pasta being two of them and I often have to order the alternative steak otherwise I can't eat. So, I guess that would mean that my husband's food would be included in the cruise cost and that I might be paying $14.95 for my dinner every few nights.:eek: We have two upcoming B2B cruises booked on the Mariner and the Oasis - final payment isn't for a long time - I will be watching closely to see what other changes may be coming before I decide to pay in full. I know a lot of people are saying it is a "choice" well, when you have food allergies - it doesn't come down to choice...

Canuck

I totally agree with you! I have several food allergies as well - seafood and pasta being two of them and I often have to order the alternative steak otherwise I can't eat. So, I guess that would mean that my husband's food would be included in the cruise cost and that I might be paying $14.95 for my dinner every few nights.:eek: We have two upcoming B2B cruises booked on the Mariner and the Oasis - final payment isn't for a long time - I will be watching closely to see what other changes may be coming before I decide to pay in full. I know a lot of people are saying it is a "choice" well, when you have food allergies - it doesn't come down to choice...

Canuck

For those with food allergies, I am sure if you notify them ahead of time of your allergy they will be able to provide a menu that can accommodate you... without an extra charge.

The website has an email address where you can inform them ahead of time of your allergy and each night you will be presented with options for the next night's meal to choose from... You could even call and speak with someone directly to further clarify both your need and what options are available to accommodate you...

You will have choices available to accommodate your special need, you just may have to plan a little further ahead than say choosing the night of...

Ok I want to make sure I understand without re-reading the entire thread.......and as Joe Friday says.......just the facts.

On the ship mentioned

The alternative steak that was on the alternative menu in the main dining room and free has been replaced with one that is now $14.95?? The free option is gone??

So the option if you want the steak on the alternative menu is

1. Pay the $14.95

2. Don't have steak

Right???

Why not pay the extra and go to Chops?

yes, why wouldn't you? I don't know, but I hope this isn't something other lines will pick up on. Specialty dining is wonderful and should be left that way. When they start offering anything with a charge in the main dining room I can see trouble coming eventually. I hope I am wrong.

Nita

Ok I want to make sure I understand without re-reading the entire thread.......and as Joe Friday says.......just the facts.

On the ship mentioned

The alternative steak that was on the alternative menu in the main dining room and free has been replaced with one that is now $14.95?? The free option is gone??

So the option if you want the steak on the alternative menu is

1. Pay the $14.95

2. Don't have steak

Right???

That appears to cover it correctly. However, at this point it has only been verified for Freedom. Any recent cruisers on other ships that can tell us the steak situation on those?

Why at the end of the cruise? If they are charging me, I know before I sign my name. I don't drink, but if I were a drinker and ordered a drink that I thought was free and they handed me a slip to sign, I would say, "No thanks. I thought there was no charge."

As everyone agrees, it is CLEARLY stated on the menu that there is an extra charge for this particular item.

In our experience on the Mariner 3 weeks ago.....IT WAS NOT CLEARLY STATED ON THE MENU about a charge for fruit punch! My DH likes that with his meal, has gotten it on the Empress in Feb08, the Explorer in June 08, and never was charged for it, just as he has on the past 20+ Cruise's with RC!!

He asked the Waiter for a fruit punch, and was told it is no longer served in the MDR, the waiter said he would see what he could do. A few minutes later a fruit puch was brought to the table. Right before desert time, another person ( found it they were the server from the bar), had asked my DH for his seapass card for the fruit punch he already consumed. He was charged $4.24 for the fruit punch.

Should he have refused to give his seapass card for something he was not made aware of prior to consuming it? Is this something that was always included in your fare for cruising, that everyone is aware of changed? I know it is pennies, and we didn't dispute the fact we were charged. Were pax complaining that they didn't like the fruit punch , so they made an alternative to CHARGE FOR IT NOW?

I have always preferred cruising with RC over other cruiselines, but if this trend continues, I will be looking to spend my money elsewhere!

Pmshirl, that's horrible! In answer to your question, I probably WOULD have refused to hand over my SeaPass card. I'm not typically a confrontational person, but how is this situation any different than customers who request a dessert (just an example) that isn't on the menu on a particular night?? In many cases, the server will "see what they can do", and the dessert comes out.....but there's never a bill for it at the end of the meal! This happened numerous times on our last cruise, when a lady requested the coconut cake every evening even though it technically "wasn't available".

Waiting until after the drink was consumed before informing you there would be a cost is inexcusable.

My wife ordered a steak, instead of the available entrees. No charge. She stated it was the best steak she had ever eaten. Melted in her mouth and was free of charge. We had extra lobster..free of charge. The food was at least 4 star in my opinion and I have eaten worse on other cruise lines and I have eaten better on other cruise lines. The greatest beef about the other cruise lines is that they don't offer free ice cream. The cruised industry has opened up business to the vast middle class of the world and no longer cater to upper class people. I know a lot of people who never set foot in the dining room and are glad to eat in the Windjammer, as long as they don't have to cook the food. I usually have cocktails, wine and some kind of coffee at most evening meals and pay the usual three times the amount for everything. I sure ain't going on no cruise and drink fruit punch and peanut butter crackers for a good time.

Sheesh,

Chuck

I hope they abandon this idea. The specialty restaurants and the main dining room need to remain distinct and separate. It muddies the waters so to speak and cheapens the main dining room experience. I am normally an "RCI Cheerleader" but this bothers me.

For those with food allergies, I am sure if you notify them ahead of time of your allergy they will be able to provide a menu that can accommodate you... without an extra charge.

The website has an email address where you can inform them ahead of time of your allergy and each night you will be presented with options for the next night's meal to choose from... You could even call and speak with someone directly to further clarify both your need and what options are available to accommodate you...

You will have choices available to accommodate your special need, you just may have to plan a little further ahead than say choosing the night of...

amybear - Thank you for your reply. However, after being on 25 or so cruises - I have not had very good luck with my food allergies. They are "supposed" to help or cater to people with food allergies but this has NOT been my experience on ANY line I have been on. (Celebrity finally got it ironed out after about Day 5 on a 10 day cruise) I actually ended up in the ship's hospital on the Freedom because of my food allergies (being given something I was allergic to) & they refused to pay the hospital bill claiming it was not their fault. I have repeatedly been given things I am allergic to on a daily basis on every ship, had multiple meetings with Maitre'Ds, head waiters, GR managers etc. etc., spent a lot of wasted time going over everything and still - they can't get it right. For a quick example - I was even given a special dessert - made specially just for me - by the Chops Maitre'D on the FOS and was ASSURED that there were no nuts in it and low and behold - it was full of nuts!! Luckily my husband saw it before I actually took a bite. We found out later that it was not "made specially just for me" - that it came shoreside, from Miami, a frozen dessert and they didn't know the ingredients but they gave it to me anyways. Special needs doesn't care (in my experience) about food allergies - they tell you to see the Maitre'D on board and then he tells you that he will take care of everything and then tells you to see the head waiter who tells you to see your waiter etc. etc. - lol. Anyways - what I am trying to say is - I seriously doubt that they would let me have the steak for free. They would probably say - "but my lady, you can eat chicken, no? The steak is $14.95" :D But thanks for the thought.:)

I hope they abandon this idea. The specialty restaurants and the main dining room need to remain distinct and separate. It muddies the waters so to speak and cheapens the main dining room experience. I am normally an "RCI Cheerleader" but this bothers me.

I agree, sometimes ships or any business for that matter will try something and then discontinue it when it doesn't seem to work. I remember when NCL was going to get some top talent and charge. I think they did this once only.

I still have concerns as the extra charges seem to be showing up in more ways than one on so many lines. It isn't the money that bothers me as much as what you are saying about keeping them separate. They each have a place.

Nita

My wife ordered a steak, instead of the available entrees. No charge. She stated it was the best steak she had ever eaten. Melted in her mouth and was free of charge. We had extra lobster..free of charge. The food was at least 4 star in my opinion and I have eaten worse on other cruise lines and I have eaten better on other cruise lines. The greatest beef about the other cruise lines is that they don't offer free ice cream. The cruised industry has opened up business to the vast middle class of the world and no longer cater to upper class people. I know a lot of people who never set foot in the dining room and are glad to eat in the Windjammer, as long as they don't have to cook the food. I usually have cocktails, wine and some kind of coffee at most evening meals and pay the usual three times the amount for everything. I sure ain't going on no cruise and drink fruit punch and peanut butter crackers for a good time.

Well excuse me! My DH is on heavy narcotics for health issues and CAN NOT drink alcoholic beverages! That doesn't mean he isn't enjoying his cruise, just because ALCOHOL isn't in the PICTURE! Thats your way of enjoying a Cruise and we have OURS!

Chuck

P.S. We found the free steak to be rather tough and lousy!

Sheesh...To each his own!:eek:

DH orders the alternative steak quite often on cruises. I told him about the newest RCI development. He was shocked!

"Let's not cruise on that line!" He said.

I had to tell him -- we have a cruise booked on "that line, remember -- Oasis."

amybear - Thank you for your reply. However, after being on 25 or so cruises - I have not had very good luck with my food allergies. They are "supposed" to help or cater to people with food allergies but this has NOT been my experience on ANY line I have been on. (Celebrity finally got it ironed out after about Day 5 on a 10 day cruise) I actually ended up in the ship's hospital on the Freedom because of my food allergies (being given something I was allergic to) & they refused to pay the hospital bill claiming it was not their fault. I have repeatedly been given things I am allergic to on a daily basis on every ship, had multiple meetings with Maitre'Ds, head waiters, GR managers etc. etc., spent a lot of wasted time going over everything and still - they can't get it right. For a quick example - I was even given a special dessert - made specially just for me - by the Chops Maitre'D on the FOS and was ASSURED that there were no nuts in it and low and behold - it was full of nuts!! Luckily my husband saw it before I actually took a bite. We found out later that it was not "made specially just for me" - that it came shoreside, from Miami, a frozen dessert and they didn't know the ingredients but they gave it to me anyways. Special needs doesn't care (in my experience) about food allergies - they tell you to see the Maitre'D on board and then he tells you that he will take care of everything and then tells you to see the head waiter who tells you to see your waiter etc. etc. - lol. Anyways - what I am trying to say is - I seriously doubt that they would let me have the steak for free. They would probably say - "but my lady, you can eat chicken, no? The steak is $14.95" :D But thanks for the thought.:)

Sorry for the hijack.

Hey CanuckCruizer,

My nephew had a similar thing happen last month. But it was something made on the ship, I guess someone got something mixed up and his dessert had eggs in it. He spent the night in the infirmary on IVs. They received a bill, but Guest Services took care of it without any issue.

GXManDC - that is too bad what happened to your nephew - lucky for him - he got his paid for! I basically think the lack of English on the ship is THE main problem when it comes to my food allergies - they just don't understand. Anyways - thanks for the moral support!

Canuck

Lighten up...do you not understand the concepts of irony and humor?

That is entirely my point to you :rolleyes:

I love reading arguments on CC, it is a bit amusing, but to encourage it for entertainment???? Not humorous, a bit pathetic perhaps.

Boy! The "suits" at RCI sure saw you coming. Charge them more, give them less, they will cheer for us anyway. Snicker, snicker......

Not one sentence did I cheer on RCI. I merely can make up my own mind about something without all the stress others are finding with this particular change.

That is entirely my point to you :rolleyes:

I love reading arguments on CC, it is a bit amusing, but to encourage it for entertainment???? Not humorous, a bit pathetic perhaps.

Come on now, why reduce an otherwise civil exchange of ideas in which some of us agree and some us disagree to the level of name-calling and insults?

Come on now, why reduce an otherwise civil exchange of ideas in which some of us agree and some us disagree to the level of name-calling and insults?

I did not call you a name:) If you were insulted, I cannot help your own personal feelings. But, my feelings about it remain the same and I do feel sorry for you.

I did not call you a name:) If you were insulted, I cannot help your own personal feelings. But, my feelings about it remain the same and I do feel sorry for you.

No need to get your knickers in a knot. Thanks...but your sorrow is best directed elsewhere.

Archived