Compensation

maccruiser22

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

The above is the Passenger Contract you agreed to when you booked your cruise.

Princess is not liable for your missing luggage. That is an issue between you and the airlines involved.

Your travelers insurance would have reimbursed you for any expenses incurred.........provided you bought insurance. If you didn't then, you are sort of up the creek.

You could have purchased lense solution and other personal items onboard the ship..which would have been reimbursed.

When you read the contract, you will see that Princess books the air as a courtesy and have no control over schedules, delays, missed flights, lost baggage or anything else concerning your flights.

Well thank you for your input. It seems this is a very subjective topic. Might as well end this seeing as it has become very repetitive. Thanks.
I'm sorry you feel that way. One of the "details" that you didn't want to go into was that you booked this cruise on just a few weeks notice, around July 1. I don't think you can blame Princess for the travel routing given the short time available before the cruise. Most of the flights from Vancouver to Venice are going to be 2-stoppers. You might have been able to get a 1-stop flight had you booked earlier, but again, at such a late date you have to expect limited selection.

OK, didn't know saline solution was acceptable in larger than 3 oz for carryon. I will print the TSA page and try to get the 12 oz saline solution in my carryon next time I fly (October). Will let you know how it goes. Not sure of their definition of "medical purposes". Guess I'll need to have spare contacts to show those too.

I also think it depends whom you get at airport security.

Contact solution is a liquid and cannot be carried on a plane or at least enough for 4 days of use.

Also, my complaint is beyond compensation for the baggage, it is the fact that Princess did not go that extra step to make our stay comfortable. Also, in the Princess Air package, their job is to get you there with bags to the ship. Since that did not happen they did not calculate the time necessary to get us there. Therefore they erred. Also did I mention 3 stopovers on the flights.

It isn't "their" job to get you anywhere. They don't own or fly planes. It is the airlines job to get you and your luggage to your destination. You are beating the wrong horse. "They" didn't err, nor do "they" have control over your air schedule.

I don't know what "extra" step you expected to make your stay "more comfortable"....you made the ship on time and the cruise went off without a hitch. Beyond that, they have no responsibility for your enjoyment of the cruise.

I do not arry the 12 oz bottle, just a 4 oz (plenty for a cruise--even a lenghty one)

Have never had issue with it. I carry it along with perscription medications is a separate 1 qt plastic bag.

Contact solution is a liquid and cannot be carried on a plane or at least enough for 4 days of use.

Also, in the Princess Air package, their job is to get you there with bags to the ship. Since that did not happen they did not calculate the time necessary to get us there. Therefore they erred. Also did I mention 3 stopovers on the flights.

No it isn't - it is their job to book the flights, not to guarantee the flights they book will be on time. If you wanted less stopovers, you could have paid the deviation fees to choose your own flights. This is why we will not allow the cruise line to book our flights. It is the airlines responsiblity to get your bags to your destination with you.

Should they have been more sympathetic on the ship? Yes - most cruise lines will assist you in getting some clothes while ont he ship. But that is what travel insurance covers. Sorry this happened, but you can take two lessons from this -

Book your own flights.

Buy travel insurance.

The airline is the problem and that is who you should take it up with.

I've sene contact lens solution sold in the shops ont he shgip - didn't they have it on your ship?

I am sorry for OP's problems but perhaps something good can come out of this discussion for other travelers. Most responders seem to be aware of what should have been done, but there may be other readers that can benefit from this discussion in the future.

1 If you book air with the cruise line (any, not just Princess), know that you are getting what you paid for - cheapest possible flights often with many and short connections. Flight times and connections (and seat assignments) are out of your control.

2 It may be wise to get an air deviation to choose your flights and arrive at least 1 day early ( maybe your luggage can catch up with you). I think it is not only safer to arrive early, it gives one a chance to explore to city from which you are sailing - otherwise you have not seen it (why fly all the way to Venice just to get on a ship and leave)?

3 Travel insurance is a good option

Again if even a few people will benefit from this discussion in the future, it will have been worth it.

I am closing it... in 10 years of "hosting" on CC I cannot even fathom how many people will pay thousands for a trip but not the extra 150-200 for travel insurance. :rolleyes: :eek: I wish I had the money to take that gamble, not to mention the inconvenience somethings totally "un-cancellation" related cause and the reimbursement you can get for them!

Archived