Hurricane experiences on a cruise...

movinout

Supposed to be heading out Monday the 8th on the NCL Sky. Now though I'm not too worried,because I believe they won't put us in harm's way, but sort of wonder what those of you who have been "out there" in these weather conditions can tell me of what you experienced. The good, bad and hopefully not too ugly. This was to be a first time cruise for my sister and I wanted her to enjoy it, not be rockin and rolling the whole time. :eek:

So, share your experiences please!??

Thanks!

I have been in one hurricane and it really wasn't that bad. We canceled two port days in a row and went around the storm. The weather didn't get back and the ship wasn't rocking out of control. Most passengers were understandable.

Remember this, the ship and cruise line will not put any crew or guests in danger. The insurance company will not put the physical ship in danger.

Although I have to say I enjoy a bit of the "rocking and rolling" of the ship. we were on a Carnival cruise when a hurricane hit. We were on the fringes of it, but had 15 and 20 foot waves. You do have to be careful, because at one point the ship went way up and I was in mid-step. When I finished the step the ship came crashing down and it caused me to break my foot. It was horrible pain and it did not stop until I got back home and my foot was put into a cast.

Supposed to be heading out Monday the 8th on the NCL Sky. Now though I'm not too worried,because I believe they won't put us in harm's way, but sort of wonder what those of you who have been "out there" in these weather conditions can tell me of what you experienced. The good, bad and hopefully not too ugly. This was to be a first time cruise for my sister and I wanted her to enjoy it, not be rockin and rolling the whole time. :eek:

Thanks!

its not that bad u'll still enjoy your cruise.....

I was in a Nor'easter on the QE2 Cruise to nowhre once. Holy smokes that was tough. I don't think the stabilizers (if they even ahs them!) where as goos a todays ships. It was truly an adventure I'll never forget. We did return to port safe and the captain did a great job keeping us upright!

Not to worry, you will be fine. Have a great adventure!

we found ourselves cruising between two hurricanes, and found that the worst problem was the backup at the airports caused by the storm hitting the atlantic coast....we sat in a plane pushed back from the gate in miami for several hours while they tried to get clearance for us to leave because of backups in atlanta, then when we got to atlanta, several hours late, getting a cab to the hotel where we had parked our car for the week was a nightmare. we finally got home at 5AM instead of 8PM the night before!

the caribbean part of it was easy, a little rain in san juan (one hurricane had gone thru two days before and the other was two days away). the ship sailed around the storms so we only had like 11 and 12 foot waves! no problem!

safe travels to all!

Beverly

We were on the Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda in October 2005 and sailed on the fringe of Hurricane Wilma. Ship pitched and rolled all the way there. But being a smaller ship, she did pretty well. Couldn't get into St. George's the first day, so we docked in Hamilton, BUT only if the seas calmed down and they did. Then on the way back, we found a Nor'easter and pitched and rolled all the way back to Boston.

I got so used to it, the next cruise I was on I thought something was wrong, because the ship didn't seem to be moving and I could walk straight all week!:D

Leaving for Bermuda on the Majesty 9-13-08. Might just be a repeat?:eek:

We sailed the Norwegian Crown to Bermuda a few years back in early October. A hurricane was heading for Bermuda so we had to leave a day early. By some miracle the Captain manged to sail to an area where we had a perfect sea day, calm and sunny. No harm done.

one on Grand Princess on a Thanksgiving cruise in W Caribbean, We were leaving Grand Cayman, the seas were getting high. Walking was like being drunk. So we went to our balcony to find a sign on the door that it was locked, Deck doors were locked also. So we went to bed with shows cancelled. Announcements made that decks were closed with the high waves & balconies cannot be used. We love the rocking in AFT area, so we sleep very well. Then we both are thrown from the bed onto the floor. What a rude wake up. Waves crashing on the balcony but not breaking the glass doors but we are hearing folks in the halway that have glass all over them. So we head down to see stores smashed. Bars with bottles & TVs smashed. So back to our stateroom we went. No room service for the safety of the workers.

That evening all was getting quiet but the dining room had just us, loads of ill folks. Dishes smashed as were glasses & the waiters had plenty of stories, even the CD joined us since we know him. After dinner we assisted him in his count of damage. Medical as to the max with seasickness & a few broken bones. We were 3 days late getting back to Miami.

This storm came from the Pacific over Mexico and we were headed there for Cozumel. So surpises happen at sea.

Then the TA we did on Constellation has 85 ft waves from a hurricane that went Atlantic hitting Iceland cancelling our visit there. A rocky week in the atlantic but we loved it.

We were on the Carnival Paradise Panama Canal Repo and we were impacted by 2 hurricanes and a TS. We were delayed a day by Frances because of the port being closed, we flew into FLL over the remanants of it. We had to miss Aruba because of it :( Also Ivan blew in around Costa Rica before it went back up the gulf to Texas as we were there. The worst part though Was TS Javier on the West Coast. We weren't too far from it, they had to close down all the open decks. I have video of me out there about 10 minutes before they closed down the decks. I had a button down shirt on and the winds blew open all the buttons. It was quite the show. Overall though it did not effect what was a great cruise experiance. (the $350 pp shipboard credit didn't hurt either)

Thanks!

I just booked with RC on the new Oasis ship for august 21, 2010 and I also worry about hurricane season but ill tell you.....the cruise line will never put you in the way of a storm....the captain will try to avoid it. My last cruise had such rough water that it really dont matter if there is a storm or not to me anymore and that was in JUNE> What about the people who work on the ship? They just cant leave...they must stay on every sailing. I cruised on Princess last year and august and we were just fine. We saw some water spouts and the hurricane was in back of us.

Hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons all the same thing.

Way back in Nov 86, on the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000 tonner, in the China Sea, we tried to outrun the back end of a typhoon.

We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and the inclinometer was pegged several times. It was rough!

In those same waters, but closer to Okinawa, Halsey's Fleet lost 3 destroyers to capsizing, closing days of WW2.

I was on the Dawn during Hurricane Frances in Aug 2004. We has seas up to 47 feet. I was in a balcony cabin all the way aft. It was amazing. It looked like something you would see in a movie. But I loved it.

EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

We were boarding the Majesty as Hurricane Bertha was having trouble deciding what she was doing in July. There was a big question as to whether or not we would be docking in Bermuda on Monday afternoon. Our captain kept us in the sunny weather; however, we were rocking and rolling on our way there. Many sick people! Crew kept telling sick passengers to eat green apples. I had never heard that before! Turns out that Bertha finally hit Bermuda on Monday so we did not dock that day, but docked early Tues. morning. It was better than not getting there at all. You are guaranteed a cruise, not the port so they can re-route you if necessary. We had heard rumors that we might be diverted to Canada if things got too bad. Thank goodness they didn't. Bermuda didn't suffer major damage and they were actually happy for all the rain as they were experiencing a drought and this is their sole source of water. What had been brown the day before was beautiful and green when we arrived. We also didn't dock in St. George because of rough seas. Instead we docked in Hamilton which was wonderful as it allowed us to get to St. George early without crowds! Most of the folks on the ship were seeing Hamilton while we were on a bus to St. George! By being in Hamilton, we were also right in the center of Harbour Nights in Hamilton without having to travel there. So, don't be too disappointed about not docking in St. George should this happen to you.

I never got to experience a hurricane, although wondering if this year might be the one. We leave from Miami on Sept.28

On the POA touring the Hawaiian Islands in March, they got some really good waves, but without the storms. guess thats why they had the surfing competition going on. Kind of fun, but not sure I'd want to rock that much too far from land.:eek:

We were boarding the Majesty as Hurricane Bertha was having trouble deciding what she was doing in July. There was a big question as to whether or not we would be docking in Bermuda on Monday afternoon. Our captain kept us in the sunny weather; however, we were rocking and rolling on our way there. Many sick people! Crew kept telling sick passengers to eat green apples. I had never heard that before! Turns out that Bertha finally hit Bermuda on Monday so we did not dock that day, but docked early Tues. morning. It was better than not getting there at all. You are guaranteed a cruise, not the port so they can re-route you if necessary. We had heard rumors that we might be diverted to Canada if things got too bad. Thank goodness they didn't. Bermuda didn't suffer major damage and they were actually happy for all the rain as they were experiencing a drought and this is their sole source of water. What had been brown the day before was beautiful and green when we arrived. We also didn't dock in St. George because of rough seas. Instead we docked in Hamilton which was wonderful as it allowed us to get to St. George early without crowds! Most of the folks on the ship were seeing Hamilton while we were on a bus to St. George! By being in Hamilton, we were also right in the center of Harbour Nights in Hamilton without having to travel there. So, don't be too disappointed about not docking in St. George should this happen to you.

Bertha was a Tropical Storm not hurricane. She brought heavy heavy rains that we needed! :D It was a normal work day for us (schools were already out for the summer).

Glad to hear you were okay with Hamilton. Were there many complaints about docking in Hamilton instead of St. George's?

Everyone was so happy to get to Bermuda that I did not hear one complaint about docking in Hamilton. We were thrilled to be in St. George for most of the day nearly by ourselves. I have photos all over St. George, Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine's beach with no one there. We left just as the other NCL ship was docking. I can't imagine St. George with 2 ships in port!

(Bertha had been a hurricane and was a TS by the time it hit Bermuda. We felt her the entire cruise. She was one stubborn storm!)

Archived