I got a great gown for a steal!!

tncplace

I was in Lord and Taylor and they had a royal blue evening gown on sale for $59 plus I had a coupon so it came to $47. I was so happy I had to keep from jumping up and down.

I went to the tailor tonight to see about having the gown shortened as I am only 5'5 and everything is always too long on me and they wanted to charge me $75 to hem the dress. I thought this was crazy so I told them them to forget it. Now I have to find a place to hem the dress for a more reasonable fee.

If anyone else usually has dresses hemmed can you tell me how much it usually runs you? I don't even think my wedding gown was this much to hem.

Did you try your cleaners? They usually do alterations for much less than a tailor.

For my youngest daughter's wedding, my middle daughter had her daughter's Junior Bridesmaid gown altered so much that they could have made a dress for her 2 year old sister with the scraps. They had to take the gown down 2 sizes. She took it to her dry cleaners and they did the alterations for a fraction of what the bridal shop would have charged.

Did you try your cleaners? They usually do alterations for much less than a tailor.

For my youngest daughter's wedding, my middle daughter had her daughter's Junior Bridesmaid gown altered so much that they could have made a dress for her 2 year old sister with the scraps. They had to take the gown down 2 sizes. She took it to her dry cleaners and they did the alterations for a fraction of what the bridal shop would have charged.

I am very short also and need everything alter. I use my dry cleaners also. They do a great job and for a fraction of the price. I take everything to them for the last 5 years and have never had a problem. Their work is great and I get it back in a week. So check out your local dry cleaners.

Laura

Sounds like you've bagged yourself a great bargain :) Well done!

Perhaps have a look in your local paper and see if there are any local ladies advertising dressmaking / alterations in there? It's got to be cheaper than $75 to take up a hem. That's crazy!!

I know just what you mean. I live in CT and yes even using the cleaners tailor it cost me between 60-70 dollars to have a gown altered, and that is with a basic straight hem. It might be the area where we live that this is the market price for a alteration.

It is so fustrating. I am 5'6 and I can no longer buy a gown that does not need a hem alteration...It turns out to be part of the gown cost purchase. I think the dress makers are making the gowns longer than in the past. I never use to have this problem.

Sometimes I can get away with buying a petite that does not require a hem....Next time around try this department. Sometimes the rib/torso sectioin of a petiete dress is too short, but not always.

Is it a straight hem? DD had a prom gown that had to have the skirt separated from the bodice to shorten it. It was layers of fabric. As soon as I saw that it was to long I knew it was going to be alot of work. Lucky for DD she bought it at a shop that alterations on full price dresses was included.

If it is a straight hem, one layer of fabric could you get a friend to pin it and sew it yourself?

kelly

I htink you should check around for another tailer.

The seamtress we use charges $30 to hem a lined dress, fifteen for unlined. The cleaners I have used charge $24 for lined and $12 for unlined.

I prefer the seamtress because she has you try on the gown, pants, etc. and she marks where it should be hemmed. The cleaners just hem it where you have marked for it to be hemmed. I have had things hemmed at the cleaners that were not as short as I wanted. I am not sure if the pins came out where I had it marked and the gal estimated or what-as I am pretty sure I had it marked at the correct point. as the cleaners wanted to charge me again and would not back up their service, I figured it was better to go to the seamtres and pay a little more.

Here is a hint. The seamtress I use has a shop in a little strip mall that is not in a great location, as far as shopping, the area is not run down or unsafe, there is just not a lot of shopping there. I assume she has her shop there because she pays less rent and in turn, can charger lower prices. You know, less overhead.

The place I went to was the local cleaners. There is another one but like pp said they want me to pin it myself and then they hem it. The dress is lined but it is a pretty straight forward job. I put a message on my town's website asking for recommendations and I guess I will cross my fingers that I can get it done before my 9/20 cruise.

I feel your pain. I picked up a beautiful dress on sale for $60 (originally $178). However, as I am 5'4", it (like just about everything else I buy) needs to be hemmed. It had both a slip and overskirt so I knew it would be pricy. While I liked the dress, I wasn't in love with it but it was a great deal :) .

Anyway, I was walking through the Junior department at Macy's (someplace I usually avoid like the plague) and came upon a really pretty, classic dress (that looked out of place with all the trendy (i.e. trashy) styles that were around it). I took a chance, tried it on and it fit and looked perfect, including the length! :D Best thing, it was on sale for just $50!. So, I am returning the dress that needs hemming and keeping the one that doesn't and now I can rationalize buying new shoes to go with it. I am a happy girl!

I feel your pain. I picked up a beautiful dress on sale for $60 (originally $178). However, as I am 5'4", it (like just about everything else I buy) needs to be hemmed. It had both a slip and overskirt so I knew it would be pricy. While I liked the dress, I wasn't in love with it but it was a great deal :) .

Anyway, I was walking through the Junior department at Macy's (someplace I usually avoid like the plague) and came upon a really pretty, classic dress (that looked out of place with all the trendy (i.e. trashy) styles that were around it). I took a chance, tried it on and it fit and looked perfect, including the length! :D Best thing, it was on sale for just $50!. So, I am returning the dress that needs hemming and keeping the one that doesn't and now I can rationalize buying new shoes to go with it. I am a happy girl!

That is great! I get an adrenaline rush when I find a bargain like that.

My niece has shortened formal dresses before for me; she worked as a seamstress in a bridal shop during college, so she has the skills. I have to force her to take $10!

Yeah, I'm lucky. Sorry, can't send her to New York or where ever.

Actually, I wouldn't ask her now that she's married, has two children, a master's, teaching full time, large garden, cans even!!!, hunts, (!), bakes, you name it. She is one sweet girl and a heck of an over-achiever.

Honestly, I don't think people quoting you prices from around the country isn't going to be terribly useful information.

Your area might be more pricey than some others here.

Location, location, location.

That said, I'd have the gown hemmed at Lord and Taylor. If they mess it up, you don't have to buy the gown. If you take it to a "place around your job" seamstress and they mess it up, you're stuck with a gown that doesn't have the right hem.

I wish you luck. Have a wonderful cruise.

Honestly, I don't think people quoting you prices from around the country isn't going to be terribly useful information.

That said, I'd have the gown hemmed at Lord and Taylor. If they mess it up, you don't have to buy the gown. If you take it to a "place around your job" seamstress and they mess it up, you're stuck with a gown that doesn't have the right hem.

My thoughts exactly. I took an outfit to the cleaners to be hemmed and they did a terrible job. You could see every stitch on the outside of the hem which was not visible before they got their hands on it. I had to rip it out and do it myself. I was expecting a much more professional job.

Just curious, has anyone used that hemming tape before?

Not for several years. It kept falling off.

I feel your pain, I've obtained "bargains" in the past that ended up not being so much as alterations can be so costly. My bargain was a sheath dress that I did get hemmed for $15, it was a short dress, but they wanted $80 to take in the sides a bit.

When I got married (a very long time ago), the wedding boutique wanted (as I recall) about $150 to hem my dress about an inch and a half shorter. I just wore higher heels.

If you can't find a reasonable cost for alteration, you may just have to return the dress and keep looking.

The problem may be that since the dress is on sale, the "warranty" or "guarantee" may not be the same, so you would have to check first. I know when I pay full price at Nordstrom, a simple hem will be included, but if the garment is on sale, they will charge what typical prices are around here for any alteration.

Although, Nordstrom always does an impeccable job :) We don't have a Lord and Taylor around here, probably a good thing, I don't need another shopping venue :rolleyes:

Well I dropped the dress off last night, the place is a cleaners and formal wear shop for men attached which is where the seamstress was. She seemed to know what she was doing and it will cost $40 which is a lot better than $75. I live in NJ now and honestly thought things should be cheaper than NY! Anyway the price includes them pressing the dress which she said they usually charge $10 for.

So I will have my dress by next Thursday and one worry off my head. I am still trying to find a non white or black dress for my 3 year old dd but have my eye on something on ebay so hopefully that will work out.

Oh, by the way I did buy the highest heels I could find but the dress was still way too long, the seamstress says they are making them that way now. I wish they would make clothing sizes for women like they have for men where they have the length in two inch increments. I guess they know men would never bother going to a tailor, lol.

Thank you ladies :)

Actually my reason for quoting prices was to show her that my seamstress was only slightly higher then the cleaners and she does an excellant job,whereas the cleaners were only so-so at best, as several times I had been unsatisfied with their work.

We used to use a tailor for my hubby's suits and my formal gowns etc. I would only use the cleaners for hemming a pair of causal slacks or a simple cotton dress.

The tailor whose business was in the mall and his prices much higher, he closed up shop, which did not surprise me for this area, I am sure many could not afford him. I am sure though, he needed to charge what he did, because of the mall rental costs.

After he closed, a friend of mine suggested the seamstress we now use; she had used her for her daugther's bridal gown. I felt that if she could do a good job on a bridal gown, that she would do good work and she does.

The problem may be that since the dress is on sale, the "warranty" or "guarantee" may not be the same, so you would have to check first. I know when I pay full price at Nordstrom, a simple hem will be included, but if the garment is on sale, they will charge what typical prices are around here for any alteration.

Yes, often simple hem alterations are free with a full price purchase, but carry a charge is bought at a mark down.

But can't imagine a store that would force you to buy a garment after they ruined it in an alteration. I just don't think that would ever happen in a dept store like Lord & Taylor or Nordstrom, etc.

I guess they know men would never bother going to a tailor, lol.

That's not true at all. I've never known a man to buy a suit and not have some alterations done, while many woman don't bother, or won't spend the money.

Also, many men's pants come unhemmed and must be altered before worn.

I hope your tailor does a great job!

That's not true at all. I've never known a man to buy a suit and not have some alterations done, while many woman don't bother, or won't spend the money.

Also, many men's pants come unhemmed and must be altered before worn.

I hope your tailor does a great job!

Normally though when you buy pants unhemmed the store has alterations that are free or a modest fee.

Usually when my hubby has suits altered it is because of weight gain. Once he did have his sleeves shortened because after he wore the jacket a few times, he decided the sleeves was too long, but he could have had it altered at the store when he bought it. The sleeves were only slightly long, less then an inch longer then he usually wore them, and he felt the sleeves were okay until after a couple of wears.

Normally though when you buy pants unhemmed the store has alterations that are free or a modest fee.

Usually when my hubby has suits altered it is because of weight gain. Once he did have his sleeves shortened because after he wore the jacket a few times, he decided the sleeves was too long, but he could have had it altered at the store when he bought it. The sleeves were only slightly long, less then an inch longer then he usually wore them, and he felt the sleeves were okay until after a couple of wears.

I shopped with many men for suits, and I've seen lots of men shopping for suits in stores and I've yet to see a man who walked out with a suit that didn't need alterations. Cuffs, hems, take in waist, let out waist, dress right/left, lift shoulders, taper back of jacket, etc etc. On of the worst signs of a cheap and ill fitting suit is when the collar stands away from the shirt at the back of the neck instead of lying flush with it.

Jane 110,

Alterations are no longer free at Nordie's. I just bought an evening gown that was in the $400 range, and after the alterations lady marked the hem she informed me that it would cost $50-75 depending on how long it took her. I commented that alterations have always been free for items not on sale, and she told in no uncertain terms that they are no longer free! :( So I brought my dress home, took it to my local alterations person and got the job done for $30.

But that won't keep me from shopping at Nordstrom:D . And that changed policy may only pertain to the Scottsdale AZ store.

Archived