Baseball caps

Has anyone wondered why so many people think it is a good idea to wear baseball caps in shps' dining rooms? Or why a grown man would ever wear one backwards - have they no mirrors?

I do wear a baseball cap backwards (never wear one at dinner) because It is none of my business what others think of me.

On board the ship, they wear 'em in the dining rooms because the Maitre'D won't tell 'em to remove them. On shore they do it because they didn't learn that gentlemen remove their hats indoors.

They wear 'em backwards so that everyone will recognize them as dorks. When they wear them sideways its so everyone will know that they are dorks who like to be uncomfortable.

No one knows why they do it with a goatee.

On board the ship, they wear 'em in the dining rooms because the Maitre'D won't tell 'em to remove them. On shore they do it because they didn't learn that gentlemen remove their hats indoors.

They wear 'em backwards so that everyone will recognize them as dorks. When they wear them sideways its so everyone will know that they are dorks who like to be uncomfortable.

No one knows why they do it with a goatee.

LOL!

I guess they take the "Freestyle" dining too seriously. It's supposed to be casual wear, not sloppy wear. My dad is an umpire for baseball, and whenever I joke about wearing a hat backwards he says that he would never let me on his field. I guess that people don't care about what they wear or how they look in the dining rooms.

I wear one outside to keep the sun off of my bald head. I wear it inside because if I take it off, I'll loose it and my head will get sunburned when I go back out. I wear it in the dining room because there's no where else to put it.

....and I sometimes wear it backwards to keep the sun off my neck (no redneck for me:) )

I can go one better..True Story.... At a table across from ours, a baseball cap on backwards AND a muscle shirt :eek: at dinner (not on NCL, and NOT a freestyle type cruise). A fine view of two hairy pits as this dweeb kicks back at the table and puts both hands behind his head to relax.....Needless to say my appetite went away quick. It was one of the grossest things, I've ever seen, cruise or otherwise.

I can go one better..True Story.... At a table across from ours, a baseball cap on backwards AND a muscle shirt :eek: at dinner (not on NCL, and NOT a freestyle type cruise). A fine view of two hairy pits as this dweeb kicks back at the table and puts both hands behind his head to relax.....Needless to say my appetite went away quick. It was one of the grossest things, I've ever seen, cruise or otherwise.

Oh my god! All he needed was spaghetti hanging out his mouth and he would be all set. That's insane, I can't believe that people would have the nerve to do that!!

How pitiful! ;)

On our Pride of Aloha sail in 2007, there where 3 of them (plus GFs or DWs) in the Palm Bistro, sitting in a booth, hoot'n and hollar'n, and making every else know they were Texas Longhorns. The one on the outside was wearing shorts and 5 cent flip-flops. According to our Waiter they were VIPs and had a standing order to keep the ice bucket full of beer and chilled wine. Fortunately they were just about leaving when we were seated. The entire place applauded when they left.

I have a bald head, and have MANY ball caps; Redsox, Patriots, and such.

I wear my cover when outside, remove it when I enter a building. Now, I will assume that when I am on my upcoming Dawn cruise, I will wear it outside, and will most likey as I am walking around the ship. When I go to diner, in the one of the main rooms, I will not even bring.

These people need to remember, it is other peoples vacation also.

I wear one outside to keep the sun off of my bald head. I wear it inside because if I take it off, I'll loose it and my head will get sunburned when I go back out. I wear it in the dining room because there's no where else to put it.:) )

Here you go, Tom...

A free tip, courtesy of the United States Navy:

When you wear a cap with a bill, remove it from your head when you enter a space that has a bulkhead (wall, for you landlubbers) on two sides and an overhead (ceiling). In other words, when you are "under cover".

Take the cap by the bill, and insert into your trousers' waistband at the small of your back, so that the bill is held in between your trousers and your shirt by the waistband, and the part of the cap that covers your head is now resting against the small of your back.

This cap stowage position is called: At the Carry.

Now, when you are indoors, you have a place to store your cap! :D

They didn't call us Officers & Gentlemen for nothing...

:)

Has anyone wondered why so many people think it is a good idea to wear baseball caps in shps' dining rooms? Or why a grown man would ever wear one backwards - have they no mirrors?

Well, I can see men wearing them for comfort, protection, while working in the yard, running errands, at the beach and other leisure-type activities.

That being said, those adults who would wear one in a dining room anywhere (except McD's and the like) are, quite simply.......hicks.

I don't understand the backward hat either. Frankly, it looks like their mother dresses them funny....... It gives the appearance of someone who is not quite "all there" or something. It looks cute on a small child but on adult males (and women too) it looks ridiculous.

It is freestyle, and if some people have no class, manners or simple civility, that is their choice.

Freestyle means I can dress like a hick if I want and have no regard for anyone around me or what they think.

And, it means I think my sweats with the holes in them are comfortable and I am on vacation, so the heck with all of you!

Here you go, Tom...

A free tip, courtesy of the United States Navy:

When you wear a cap with a bill, remove it from your head when you enter a space that has a bulkhead (wall, for you landlubbers) on two sides and an overhead (ceiling). In other words, when you are "under cover".

Take the cap by the bill, and insert into your trousers' waistband at the small of your back, so that the bill is held in between your trousers and your shirt by the waistband, and the part of the cap that covers your head is now resting against the small of your back.

This cap stowage position is called: At the Carry.

Now, when you are indoors, you have a place to store your cap! :D

They didn't call us Officers & Gentlemen for nothing...

:)

I didnt think boarding a cruise ship was like joining the Navy....;) LOL

I wear one outside to keep the sun off of my bald head. I wear it inside because if I take it off, I'll loose it and my head will get sunburned when I go back out. I wear it in the dining room because there's no where else to put it.

....and I sometimes wear it backwards to keep the sun off my neck (no redneck for me:) )

Here's a couple of ideas:

1. Leave the hat in your cabin, especially if it's dinner.

2. If you feel the need to wear it before and/or immediately after dinner, simply take the hat off, tuck the hat under one leg, leaving the brim exposed. I've done it hundreds of times, and unfortunately, I sometimes feel "alone" adhering to the "old" custom and manners of removing ones hat inside, forget while dining.

• Administrators

No, sorry, I've never wondered this -- I don't care. I wouldn't wear such a cap, or permit someone in my party to do so indoors, but beyond that -- it's not my problem if someone doesn't realize how dumb this looks. We're having our vacation and enjoying it.

No, sorry, I've never wondered this -- I don't care. I wouldn't wear such a cap, or permit someone in my party to do so indoors, but beyond that -- it's not my problem if someone doesn't realize how dumb this looks. We're having our vacation and enjoying it.

Agree. I'm not sure why anyone would wonder. I'm also not sure why anyone would ask this question either ??

Agree. I'm not sure why anyone would wonder. I'm also not sure why anyone would ask this question either ??

Part of the enjoyment of cruising, admittedly just a small part, is the atmosphere, service and quality of food in the dining rooms. Atmosphere is a minor part, but when louts who appear to have been raised by hyenas disregard the posted dress code, as well as the norms of civil behavior, they diminish the atmosphere -- regardless of how slight that diminishment is, they are offensive.

Part of the enjoyment of cruising, admittedly just a small part, is the atmosphere, service and quality of food in the dining rooms. Atmosphere is a minor part, but when louts who appear to have been raised by hyenas disregard the posted dress code, as well as the norms of civil behavior, they diminish the atmosphere -- regardless of how slight that diminishment is, they are offensive.

After re-reading my post, I did not mean to imply that I agree with wearing one but I guess I do not allow others actions, nor do I go looking for things to diminish my experience. I'm going to enjoy the cruise regardless of service, weather, or whether or not someone is wearing a baseball cap. I guess if someone really bothered me that much I would request action by the maitre d'.

I would question the lack of action of the cruiseline employees more than the action of the guest as I came to a conclusion a long time ago that in general, people are pretty ignorant (myself included ;) ).

Anyway, hang in there and good luck.

Archived