Lens hood

campincruiser

My husband recently received a Nikon D60. He has been using a Canon G3 in recent years, but has used both a Canon and a Minolta 35mm SLR camera in the past (so he is familiar with changeable lenses). When we were watching the DVD's that came with the camera, the guy always used a lens hood. Do they really make that much difference? With his other cameras, he would use one when there was really bright direct sunlight, but not with every shot. I didn't know if these new digital camera and lens were more sensitive to light or if it was just a matter of personal preference. Any thoughts?

My husband recently received a Nikon D60. He has been using a Canon G3 in recent years, but has used both a Canon and a Minolta 35mm SLR camera in the past (so he is familiar with changeable lenses). When we were watching the DVD's that came with the camera, the guy always used a lens hood. Do they really make that much difference? With his other cameras, he would use one when there was really bright direct sunlight, but not with every shot. I didn't know if these new digital camera and lens were more sensitive to light or if it was just a matter of personal preference. Any thoughts?

Swinging camera, hard surface...

I personally prefer the lens hood to be the first point of contact.

And, yes, they will help by keeping light from striking the lens surface from the side which can decrease contrast...film or digital.

My 2¢...

Dave

Personally I have never seen a need for them. While I may get a lens flare on 0.05% of my pics I don't feel it's enough out of thousands of pics to put the extra length on. But it's all on preference and what you're shooting.;) And sometimes I've actually liked the sun-flare on my lens.

If You Use A Lens Hood How Do You Use A Polarizing Filter?

The petal type hoods on a wide angle lens often allow you to rotate the filter and some telephoto lens hoods have a little window in the side for that. When I shoot with a polarizer for any length of time, I usually just reverse the hood.

Dave

The petal type hoods on a wide angle lens often allow you to rotate the filter and some telephoto lens hoods have a little window in the side for that. When I shoot with a polarizer for any length of time, I usually just reverse the hood.

Dave

Oh Dave is right again, they are really a good thing to have on an expensive lens. How many times have you had you camera on your shoulder and you turn quickly and the camera swings into something at an angle lens first. The Hood protects it and most if not all my larger Nikon lens come with them standard. There are people who prefer those to filters for lens protection, not saying I am one of them but I have read it.

Oh Dave is right again, they are really a good thing to have on an expensive lens. How many times have you had you camera on your shoulder and you turn quickly and the camera swings into something at an angle lens first. The Hood protects it and most if not all my larger Nikon lens come with them standard. There are people who prefer those to filters for lens protection, not saying I am one of them but I have read it.

I'm a convert to using the lens hood after an incident involving my D80, clumsy hands and a tile floor! :eek: I was much happier to replace a $16 lens hood than the $700.00 lens it was attached to (or the D80 body for that matter)! In my case, the UV filter on the end of the lens wouldn't have done squat to take that impact, although I am a fan of those too to protect the lens, particuarly in the great outdoors.

Dave makes a great point about being able to reverse the hood; if your husband is trying it out and decides it's not his thing he can just turn it around until it's time to put the camera away (although he could just toss it into the bag instead.)

I am a big fan of the lens hood.

In the winter I hike through our local forest with a zoom lens on the camera and I do not take the lens cap along. I just wear the camera around my neck with the lens hood in place. It does a very good job protecting the lens from bumps & scratches and keeps most dust, pollen and dirt off the lens in addition to improving contrast. The hood also helps prevent a glint off the lens that might spook wildlife.

--

This is a bit off topic but... If you have orientation marks or wording on your polarizing filter pay attention to them and the location of the sun the next time you are outside. It seems obvious on a clear day but when it is cloudy is is magical how my index mark points to the sun.

• 3 weeks later...
Swinging camera, hard surface...

I personally prefer the lens hood to be the first point of contact.

Yes, the lens hood's primary function in life is impact absorption.

Shading the lens from extraneous light is its secondary function.

Is it just me?:p - When using the lens hood during sunny days....I sometimes get the corner of it on my pictures...which I have to crop out. How do I use the hood and not worry about it being in my pictures?:confused:

Thanks!

Is it just me?:p - When using the lens hood during sunny days....I sometimes get the corner of it on my pictures...which I have to crop out. How do I use the hood and not worry about it being in my pictures?:confused:

Thanks!

Camera? Lens?

Info please!:D

Dave

OOO....my bad! :o

Nikon D70s

AF-S Nikor 18-70

and I'm using the hood that came with my camera & lens.

If you are using a protective filter or a polarizer, it is likely that the edge of the filter is what is causing the vignetting (not unusual in lenses that go as short as 18mm or less). It is unlikely that Nikon would design a lens hood that would interfere in normal operation. If the vignetting is a big issue, the filter manufacturers make slim-profile filters that have significantly thinner mounts. These will prevent the problem, but usually at a premium price.

If you are not using a filter, try shooting with and without the hood and see if the issue persists. If it does, it may be a mis-allignment of an optical element in the lens or possibly the sensor is not centered properly. Either way, it should be covered under warranty.

Dave

If you are using a protective filter or a polarizer, it is likely that the edge of the filter is what is causing the vignetting

(not unusual in lenses that go as short as 18mm or less).

It is unlikely that Nikon would design a lens hood that would interfere in normal operation.

If the vignetting is a big issue, the filter manufacturers make slim-profile filters that have significantly thinner mounts.

These will prevent the problem, but usually at a premium price.

If you are not using a filter, try shooting with and without the hood and see if the issue persists.

If it does, it may be a mis-alignment of an optical element in the lens

or possibly the sensor is not centered properly. ===> Ouch! :eek:

Either way, it should be covered under warranty.

Over the years, I've always considered this possibility but never actually encountered it.

I reckon the lens manufacturers allow for filters to stick out, into the field of view

by a few millimeters, but what do I know?

Now I have that Sigma 10-20mm. lens, I really wonder about the problem

having threaded on a 77mm. filter, right in the shop!

I just had a look at the filter and it doesn't look to be 'slim-profile' to me

This discussion has just sent me rushing back to the folder of yesterday's try-out shots with my new toy

-with my glasses on!- looking for any telltale signs of problems in the corners.

I'm happy to report none

but I also notice that the Sigma-supplied lens hood bayonets itself on to the lens barrel

-it doesn't thread into the filter like so many do.

That has to help nullify any vignetting prob. re lens-shade (but not re. filter)

Geez I sure hope the problem is not element or sensor mis-alignment. :eek:

Did you drop or bounce the camera??

Hey Dave,

I think you've solved another lens mystery...I checked and my clear protective lens wasn't screwed on even - or tight :eek: so I cleaned everything up, tighted the lens and tried the hood again and waa laa ... I can see all 4 corners clear as can be! :D

I thank you and my cropping tool thanks you too! ;) :)

(just the simplest things can cause such confusion! lol):D

Over the years, I've always considered this possibility but never actually encountered it.

I reckon the lens manufacturers allow for filters to stick out, into the field of view

by a few millimeters, but what do I know?

Now I have that Sigma 10-20mm. lens, I really wonder about the problem

having threaded on a 77mm. filter, right in the shop!

I just had a look at the filter and it doesn't look to be 'slim-profile' to me

This discussion has just sent me rushing back to the folder of yesterday's try-out shots with my new toy

-with my glasses on!- looking for any telltale signs of problems in the corners.

I'm happy to report none

but I also notice that the Sigma-supplied lens hood bayonets itself on to the lens barrel

-it doesn't thread into the filter like so many do.

That has to help nullify any vignetting prob. re lens-shade (but not re. filter)

Vignetting on a APS-C sensor camera is less likely than on full-frame, but it can still happen. To get the ultra-wide view, they squeeze the angle of incidence as much as they can, so vignetting can occur on some lenses using a filter with a normal mount. The Sigma 10-20 (and my 11-18 for that matter) have a front element that could get by with a 55mm filter but it has a 77mm thread. That probably helps solve the problem.

As for lens hoods, I guess I have been in the Minolta (now Sony) world too long...I thought all lens hoods other than the 3rd-party rubber ones connected with a bayonet!:o

Dave

As for lens hoods, I guess I have been in the Minolta (now Sony) world too long..

..I thought all lens hoods other than the 3rd-party rubber ones connected with a bayonet!:o

Must confess myself..that when I speak of screw-in lens hoods

I hark back to those days in the late '60s and early '70s (when SLR = Nikon F)

and when I was a keen youth, and understudy of a knowledgeable local photographer!

Nikon lens hoods in those days were all screw-in...or snap-on

either into the 52 mm.dia front of the lens itself or, more practically,

into the forward-facing (52 mm.dia) threads of the usual UV filter

that adorns all lenses(if you have any sense and value your coatings!)

This new bayonet-mount 'technology' is very cool. :)

The only thing that bayonet-mounted back then, was lens-to-body fit!! :D

Archived