pre-shipping luggage

gomomgo

With the airlines charging for checked luggage, has anyone tried shipping their luggage to their destination prior to the trip? I am looking into it and wonder how this has worked for others. Anyone try UPS (seems to be the cheapest)?

I have only see a few posts where people have done this. Only one person had anything positive to say. Usually shipping is more expensive than just paying the baggage fees and its less convenient. You also have to find someone willing to accept the baggage as it usually can't be shipped to the pier.

You can have it shipped to your hotel if you have a stay prior to the cruise, but not the cruise ship.

I'm not sure of prices from places like FedEx or UPS, but I know the luggage valet type of services charge in the hundreds of dollars.

I ship business to business UPS and a 20 lb. box incurs a charge of around $15.

OK, I did a pretend shipping to Miami from my home town. A package weighing 50lbs. would be approx. $58, for ground about a 6 day delivery, one way. That was the lowest cost and I was surprised it was so cheap.

I think the airlines $25 is still less :rolleyes:

We are thinking of possibly going stand-by on an earlier flight, thus the interest in pre-shipping the luggage since we can't do that with checked luggage. I know it won't be cheaper than checking it. The hotel we're staying in will accept the package.

Archived