Best way to get a chaise for my Eurodam verandah?

novembre

We are booked on a December Eurodam cruise. We didn't notice that this ship doesn't provide lounge chairs on the Deluxe Verandah Suite balconies. Many of the other HAL ships do, as we noticed in their brochure, so we got the impression that it was standard.

However, looking at the latest HAL brochure we see that only chairs are provided on the suite balconies, no chaises (can anyone verify that?)

My husband has a back condition and needs a chaise or recliner to sit for more than a short time. If we didn't have one on the balcony he wouldn't be able to use it to sit and read or enjoy the scenery. If we had one it would make a big difference to him.

We booked through a TA. Should we ask her to make the request (and hope that she does), or could we somehow talk directly to HAL about this?

Also, can we confirm our booking and our dining assignment on HAL's website? I couldn't see any way to do that.

Nov

Also, can we confirm our booking and our dining assignment on HAL's website? I couldn't see any way to do that.

In a sense you can confirm your HAL booking by attempting to book a shore excursion, or completing the on-line check-in form. You need your booking number for either of these. If you didn't have a booking you wouldn't be able to access either area of the HAL site.

But you should have your written confirmation from your TA.

There is no area on the HAL website that allows you to check your dining request. Again, this should be on the confirmation from your TA.

Deluxe Suites have a pair of lounge chairs with ottomans as well as a cafe table and four chairs. There just isn't room for a chaise.

I think your husband will find that a lounge chair w/ ottoman is quite comfortable.

Deluxe Suites have a pair of lounge chairs with ottomans as well as a cafe table and four chairs. There just isn't room for a chaise.

I think your husband will find that a lounge chair w/ ottoman is quite comfortable.

Brian, thanks for your reply.

The balconies on the Eurodam don't have enough room for a lounge? I'm surprised, because when we originally spoke to our TA she suggested the Veendam, and told us that if we booked a Deluxe Suite, we would definitely have chaise lounges on our balcony. (she had recently done a cruise on this ship, in a Deluxe Suite, so she had first-hand knowledge). Does this then mean that the suite balconies on the Eurodam are smaller?

If the Eurodam's verandahs are really too small for two lounges, I'm wondering if we could have just one lounge, if the two lounge chairs were removed. Do you think they might do this? Or would they perhaps agree to removing the chairs and allowing us to bring our own lounge? We could easily do this as we are driving to the port, and the aluminum lounges we have here are quite light.

How could I contact HAL to ask these questions? I know I could put in a request through the TA, but I'd rather get an answer directly from the cruise line.

Thanks again for your help Brian.

Nov

Yes, the verandahs on Veendam are larger/deeper than those aboard Eurodam, although the outdoor furniture is much more comfortable - "Wicker" chairs with cushioned seats and a separate ottoman rather than metal-framed chairs with mesh seats and no footstool.

You can always ask the steward when you get aboard, but I honestly think you'll enjoy the existing furnishings - it's the most comfortable verandah furniture I've ever seen aboard ship.

The furniture on the S class ships has all been replaced -- most for over a year now. We have been on the Ryndam, Maasdam and Veendam the last year -- all now have the lovely new wicker furniture and comfortable chaise lounges. Both chaise lounges have pads on them. The verandahs on all the R and S class ships for the S Delux suites are much larger than those on the Vista class and Signature ships.

We have sailed on 3 of the Vista class ships -- and the verandahs for the SA Delux suites are much smaller. There are 2 regular chairs with pads and 2 ottomans. I find them very comfortable. There is a tiny cocktail table between them. Also there is a table with 4 chairs if you wish to eat out on your verandah.

A few years ago, a couple next to us asked to have one of the chaise lounge chairs brought to their verandah -- they could not move on the verandah -- within a coupe of days they had it removed.

I assume that the Deluxe Suite balconies are the same depth as the Vista ships. On those we asked the cabin steward to bring us ONE lounge and never had a problem. Even if it means taking one of the other chairs out. I will be doing that, even if I have to do it myself.

I assume that the Deluxe Suite balconies are the same depth as the Vista ships. On those we asked the cabin steward to bring us ONE lounge and never had a problem. Even if it means taking one of the other chairs out. I will be doing that, even if I have to do it myself.

Thanks Mosaic....that's what we'll do. I didn't think it would be so easy.

And thanks to everyone who replied. I'm learning a lot here!

Nov

That assumption is incorrect as pertains to "SA" cabin verandas. The Deluxe Veranda Suite balconies on "S" class ships are deeper than balconies for "SA" cabins on Vista Class ships.

On the Westerdam, we just asked the concierge in the Neptune lounge to have the cabin steward bring us two lounges. Shortly thereafter, he arrived with the lounge chairs.

He just pushed some of the other furniture back into the corner and there was plenty of room to use the lounges or the table.

Not having seen Eurodam verandahs, I am not sure if the same would work.

On the Westerdam, we just asked the concierge in the Neptune lounge to have the cabin steward bring us two lounges. Shortly thereafter, he arrived with the lounge chairs.

He just pushed some of the other furniture back into the corner and there was plenty of room to use the lounges or the table.

Not having seen Eurodam verandahs, I am not sure if the same would work.

I'm looking at HAL's latest brochure and the floor plan of the Westerdam and Eurodam Deluxe Verandah Suites look identical....and identical to the Noordam and the Oosterdam, too....same furnishings on the verandahs and same layout. I hope it's accurate.

Thanks for the info about asking the concierge to instruct the steward to bring lounges. We will do that as soon as we board.

My husband says "THANKS" to all of you for your helpful posts. Having a lounge means a lot to him.

Nov

The furniture on the S class ships has all been replaced -- most for over a year now. We have been on the Ryndam, Maasdam and Veendam the last year -- all now have the lovely new wicker furniture and comfortable chaise lounges. Both chaise lounges have pads on them. The verandahs on all the R and S class ships for the S Delux suites are much larger than those on the Vista class and Signature ships.

We have sailed on 3 of the Vista class ships -- and the verandahs for the SA Delux suites are much smaller. There are 2 regular chairs with pads and 2 ottomans. I find them very comfortable. There is a tiny cocktail table between them. Also there is a table with 4 chairs if you wish to eat out on your verandah.

A few years ago, a couple next to us asked to have one of the chaise lounge chairs brought to their verandah -- they could not move on the verandah -- within a coupe of days they had it removed.

Was curious whether or not the Ryndam S class had new verandah furniture - thanks for this posting - most appreciated!!

Have happy cruisin'!

If DH needs chaise to stretch out as opposed to wants a chaise, I would contact the special needs department (1-800-547-8493) to insure that one is available for him. They will have you fax a simple information form to them, most of which you will leave blank. This will insure you get what you need, not only this trip, but in the future. It would be unfortunate to board the ship only to find that no chaises were available. Have a great trip!

If DH needs chaise to stretch out as opposed to wants a chaise, I would contact the special needs department (1-800-547-8493) to insure that one is available for him. They will have you fax a simple information form to them, most of which you will leave blank. This will insure you get what you need, not only this trip, but in the future. It would be unfortunate to board the ship only to find that no chaises were available. Have a great trip!

When should one call - 30 days prior departure or 1 week prior departure?

Thanks for the info about asking the concierge to instruct the steward to bring lounges. We will do that as soon as we board.

My husband says "THANKS" to all of you for your helpful posts. Having a lounge means a lot to him.

Nov

I seriously doubt the concierge instructs the stewards to do anything. But she will pass along requests. :) :)

We think the new veranda furniture on the "S" ships is better than the previous. We find it more comfortable and attractive.

Your DH may find the chaises with footstools more comfortable than the new style loungers they now have. Why not have him try them both and decide which he prefers. The loungers IMO are less comfortable than the old style ones.

I seriously doubt the concierge instructs the stewards to do anything. But she will pass along requests. :) :)

We think the new veranda furniture on the "S" ships is better than the previous. We find it more comfortable and attractive.

Your DH may find the chaises with footstools more comfortable than the new style loungers they now have. Why not have him try them both and decide which he prefers. The loungers IMO are less comfortable than the old style ones.

Thanks for that good idea -- to have him try both.

What he needs is a lounge that will recline (at least a little) to help support his upper back and take the weight off his lower back....just like what an inexpensive aluminum chaise would do.

I assume that the wicker chairs w/footstools wouldn't work for him, comfortable as they might be for most folk.

Nov

Too early for a roll call but are we booked on the same cruise? Ken & I are taking the Ryndam southbound on 9/18/09 to Vancouver. My e-mail is donsea@comcast.net

Don

Don--

It's never too early for a Roll-Call...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16159889#post16159889

...and Yes, my family and I just booked our Ryndam cruisetour this week.

:)

See you on the Roll-Call!

I asked that a chaise be brought up to our veradah stateroom, and it showed up about 15 minutes later. One of the chairs and the wicker table had to be removed but it fit. It left little room, I arranged it along the railing and the other chair fit at the foot of the chaise. It's tight opening the door as they open outwards but it works. Good luck!

Archived