Hot chocolate...free?

MszKitty

Is the hot chocolate on the ship free?

ok...I never thought I'd be asking such a question, but we've always been on Caribbean or Mexico cruises where the weather is warm and hot chocolate has never entered my mind.

But, in two days, we are doing our first Alaska cruise and the thought of sitting on our balcony, all bundled up, and sipping hot chocolate just sounds sooooo nice. If its free, I'll drink what they have. If we have to pay for it, I'd rather bring my own special mint, raspberry, or orange flavored hot chocolate mixes and just order hot water to mix it with.

We just came off Brilliance and the hot choc sachets were available at the outside drink stations of the Windjammer. However, even 'though this was a hot Med cruise - they still ran out sometimes, so I would imagine that would be likely on an Alaska cruise.

Just finished an Alaskan cruise on the Radience 2 weeks ago. Hot chocolate - instant Nestle's w/hot water - was free at the Windjammer. It was always there - never occurred to me that they might run out. While cruising Hubbard Glacier, they offered a refillable Hot Chocolate "special" cup for a price. It was cinnamon flavored and yummy! Have fun!

Thanks everyone. Those were very helpful answers. Free is good! I'll take just a few packets of my hot chocolate "just in case" they run out, or in case I want the flavored ones.

Only 24 hours and I will be arriving in Vancouver for our cruise! Yay!

Hot chocolate, just like your meals is included in your cruise fare:D

Don't be too sure about it! Fruit punch was always included in your fare in the MDR as a drink included for your fare! Just 3 weeks ago on the Mariner we had to pay $4.24 for a glass of fruit punch in the Dining Room!

Seems like anything can change from day to day or Ship to Ship, no adays with RC! Cruised in Feb and June 08 and didn't pay for Fruit Punch in the MDR.

The hot choc. still was available without an additional charge on our cruise 3 weeks ago! Who knows what tomorrow BRINGS!:D

DH and I sailed twice to Alaska and both times they brought hot chocolate girraffe's on deck for folks to sip on as we watched the glaciers calf.

I'm guessing you mean carafes, right? Can't say as how I'd want a long necked spotted critter carting cocoa around on the ship. :)

I'm guessing you mean carafes, right? Can't say as how I'd want a long necked spotted critter carting cocoa around on the ship. :)

I just had my laugh for the day. The thought of a girraffe carrying hot cocoa around the deck cracked me up! I knew what they meant to say but it was still funny!

I was picturing a special mug shaped like a giraffe! (ya know, like those coconut monkey drinks (like Carnival sells...not sure of RCCL sells them too)

And I thought, what does a giraffe have to do with hot chocolate or Alaska???....LOL

We've always had hot chocolate available in packets in the dining room as well as in the promenade dining venue on RCI.

However, on Princess on the Alaska itinerary, they did not have it. That was my first cruise on Princess so I don't know if it was normal. They sold it when we were cruising Tracy Arms, though and I never saw it available for purchase other than that. Fortunately, I had gotten the word prior to the cruise and took some with me. I took a lot since there were six in our party so I would have some for them, also.

Almost every time I was mixing it up in the grill, someone would ask me where I got it thinking they had overlooked it. When I told them I bought it from home, they would ask if I would sell them some. Towards the end of the cruise when I knew I wasn't going to use it all, I would have an extra packet with me and give it to the person who asked.

It doesn't weigh that much and doesn't take up much room in your luggage, so I would "treat" myself to some gourmet hot chocolate and take it with me just in case.

Tucker in Texas

Hot chocolate is free. But be forewarned. It is popular and tends to run out before the cruise is over! Once it is gone, it is gone and will not reappear until the next cruise.

MARAPRINCE

Not necessarily true. We "seemed" to have run out on our cruise but then magically it reappeared a day later while in Alaska. If you don't see any out, be sure to call room service for some. And there isn't any harm in taking a few packets back to your room if you're really concerned about not having it in the time of need :)

ALASKA IS STUNNING!!

Not necessarily true. We "seemed" to have run out on our cruise but then magically it reappeared a day later while in Alaska. If you don't see any out, be sure to call room service for some. And there isn't any harm in taking a few packets back to your room if you're really concerned about not having it in the time of need :)

ALASKA IS STUNNING!!

It was on our 7/31 Canada & NE sailing! We did ask about it. As more passengers "discovered" it, it became more popular and ran out.

MARAPRINCE

Archived