What local tv channels do you get?

dyn2cruise

My " LOST" obssessed daughter would like to make sure that she will not miss this show while onboard Paradise next month.

Does anyone know if local channels such as abc,nbc and cbs come in on your cabin tv?

I can't imagine that she would give up the cruise if the answer is NO but she wanted me to ask all you wonderful cruise people.

Thanks.

Linda

You'll get a couple of major networks, don't know which. TAPE IT before you go. I always tape things I don't want to miss while I'm cruising.:) I'm not leaving till next Monday, and I've already got my VCR set for 5 hours of shows.

What they show is satellite TV - whatever the satellite can pick up is what you get. On Sensation a couple of weeks ago we got NBC from Nashville and CBS from New York City. I'd suggest setting the VCR before you leave or ask someone else to tape it for her.

One of the reason Cotton (and almost nobody) knows the answer....is that the stations come in by satellite. And we're never sure if the "bird" is working. And, even if it is, the affiliate available may be from the East Coast when yoi're sailing to Alaska...so "Lost" airs at 4pm.

Or West Coast when you're in Bermuda. So "Lost" would air at midnight.

I had the same problem on the LEGEND several weeks ago with SURVIVOR (the only reality show I watch). Went to the Sports Bar and they had it equally divided between SURVIVOR and JOEY, but only did the sound for JOEY (New Yorkers, go figure :D ). So, I had to "read lips" for SURVIVOR ! !

Very frustrating that way. :rolleyes:

The satellites are almost always working. The only problem they generally have is if the they blow up in boost stage or they die unexpectedly. The real problem is that ships have limited number of dishes to get the downlink and they may not be in in the footprint for particular satellites. I would not count on getting broadcast networks at sea.

On the Imagination and the Paradise (when it sailed out of Miami)...The TV in the cabins did not recieve any of the networks...they showed a couple of movies thro out the day(the same movies all week long)... a station about shopping in the various ports, one about activities that were done on the ship, ....a couple of different music stations....In a couple of the bars thay had TV's w/network programming.....

I agree w/Cotton.....if there is anything u really do not want to miss...Tape it!!! :)

Later,

Randy

I agree, but not everybody can get TIVO.:rolleyes:

Besides the five hours I've already set to tape while I'm gone, I just set up the second VCR for three more hours - for Jeopardy! (Can we say TV addict?):D

We were on the Paradise Sept 20 4 day west coast trip. The only TV I watched was the early morning news shows while eating breakfast in the aft Lido deck dining room. The shows were network standard, but the local breaks were all from New York. Interesting to see New York traffic reports while on the Pacific. Also, the time was not the 4 hours off I would have expected for an Eastern time zone broadcast on the west coast.

Anyway, your daughter should be able to find the show, but who knows what time it will be on.

Cotton, know you're leaving tomorrow and probably won't be able to answer this but was wondering what "Blue Ribbon Cruiser" means . . . as opposed to "Cool Cruiser?"

Blue ribbon cruisers have over 1,000 posts. Charter members have over 5,000 and cool cruisers have over 1

I'm making sure that my modified DirecTiVo.... errr.... DirecTV DVR receiver with TiVo functionality... which has two 160GB hard drives for 243 hours of recording capacity, will be very empty when I take my cruise. I can't bear to miss The Amazing Race (best reality show current airing on television) or my anime.

Archived