Princess Marketing Deals-Has This Happened to You??

CruiseObssessed

I am a platinum member, who cruises about once a year (sometimes twice if I can get away with it :D), so far always with Princess.

I like to travel with an extended family group, who all live in the same city. One family in our group (also past passenger) was offered a really good price on a Caribbean cruise next spring. When I signed into Princess's website, it didn't even discount the price to reflect a past passenger discount---I got EXACTLY the same price as an anonymous visitor.

I thought maybe the website was inaccurate, expecially since I wasn't offered ANY discount, so I called Princess. It was accurate, no general deals for past passengers, but they really didn't want to talk about that--they kept changing the subject. They said they run "random" marketing deals for particular people. Even tho the jig was up (I knew about it) and was traveling with the family who was offered the deal, they refused to offer that deal or any other to me.

Ironically, RCI is cheaper for me for almost the same exact trip, same dates, even though I have never sailed with them.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so did they eventually cave and match it? It's surprising that they would prefer to let me try RCI (I'm young, might find out I like it better), rather than match that offer. RCI should send Princess marketing a thank you card for recruiting us :eek:

Did you click around a little? Choose another category maybe? I found that when I was checking prices on my cruise, I had to click another cabin category and come back to the one I wanted for the past cruiser discount to register! Don't know why but it happened a couple times.

It's strange isn't it? Princess makes a big announcement about discounts for thier loyal passengers. Then you go in to check pricing, and find you will pay the same price as someone that never sailed on a princess cruise before??? Not sure what they are thinking with this type of marketing stragedy, but it isn't working well.

BUT, since we always book through a discount TA and they DO discount the pricing, I can save anywhere from $200-to over $1000 depending on the cruise, and the type of stateroom we book, compared to Princess prices. I would look into a discount TA and see what they can come up with for you.

Best of Luck!

I agree, go to a discount TA....I've always had good luck with them...;)

And, I love Princess....but, what is up with the wait time on the phone? They're nice enough, once you get them but then they put you on hold....Oh! Sure! They do apologize......but, honestly, they have to do something about their customer waiting time!

Sorry for the hi-jack.....

I agree with the others. Check out prices through a discount TA. Princess allows TA's to discount, RCCL does not, although some TA's will give extras such as on board credit.

I think with anything, it depends on how a ship is filling up. If a sailing seems slow, they will discount the price.

Also....are you perhaps looking at a cruise on the Ruby? Brand new ships just out tend to be priced higher for awhile, since everyone wants to try them out.

I have cruised RCCL 3x's. Make sure you are comparing the same type, age ship. RCCL's older ships tend to offer good prices, but their cruises on the larger newer ships tend to be priced much higher. When comparing the same itinery with the same type ship, AFTER TA discounting, and with or without past passenger discounts, I have found Princess prices to be more competitive on the whole.

Also, I have never been given a past passenger discount on RCCL. They offer coupon deals on some sailings, but not many, and I have not found the discounts to be that good. RCCL also does not allow discounting by TA's.

Try RCCL if you want. Both Princess and RCCL offer a good cruise experience.

This is actually a pretty common marketing practice, particularly if you want to "test" pricing; it's not just Princess. You send a brochure or email to a small number of past customers, often selected randomly by the computer, to see what kind of response you get.

You might have those who received the offer forward it so that you can see the promotion code; then call Princess and see if you can book it for the promoted offer. And, as the others say, check a good discount TA. They often have better prices than the lowest Princess promotions.

Archived