Millie 6144 or Carn. Spirit 4228 for Alaska

RMLERL

I have an opportunity to take the 10 night Millie Ultimate Alaska,Sept 2009 in cabin 6144. I have learned over the last few hours, it is highly coveted from these boards. I have it on hold right now. I already have 4228 booked on the Spirit for the 9/9/09 sailing. Please look at the link before you comment, it is a beautiful balcony and perfect for AK. It is a true 2 room suite with that wraparound...

tom-n-cheryl : photos : Carnival Pride - June 29th, 2002- powered by SmugMug.

My problem is this, the price is within $240 total. X being higher. But the important thing to remember is X is 10 days and Carn. is 7.$240($120 each) for 3 more days can't be beat. Both out of Van. No advantages there. Millie hits Sitka, Hubbard instead of Glacier Bay, Sitka and Victoria.

We prefer the aft but the bigger balcony is most important. We had 7708 on RCCL Freedom and that's a nice balcony. We have an aft JS next week for Enchantment. An aft may open up later but it wouldn't wrap.

What would you do? Not getting into the whole Carnival vs. RCCL. We've been on both, so we know. However, that being said, we would be new to X for this cruise.(Unless I squeeze one in, in the spring) (Darn, I should of bought that Next Cruise for Celebrity too in May). 47 hours and ticking. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I started looking at this to pass the time between Ike updates. See what trouble you can get into....

I realize I've never been on either of these ships...so my opinion comes from the photos....There IS no comparison between the cabins..the Mille cabin is Not anything special at all, and the balcony doesn't come close (from photos, it really isn't as special as the fans of 6144 always claim anyway..only about twice as deep as a reg. small balcony) SOOOO your real choice is the between the sailings. Ask yourself if these extra days are seeing that much more than the 7 day (in otherwords...is it one of those "round trip" sailings??? or does it actually see several extra ports) or are "days at sea" important to you. All this is what you must consider. I know I'd sure love to stay in that cabin once with that great balcony. Many here would also compare the 2 cruiselines to Celebrities' advantage...food~ service etc. All this must figure in your decision...but it IS yours. (You could just stay an extra couple days in either of the ports and tour if you want a longer vacation!, that $250 would go a ways toward your hotel!)

We did a B2B in July/Aug and had an Aft 8185 for the northbound cruise and then 6144 southbound. There was a great difference between these cabins. 8185 was tired and had a smell about it (could have been a smoke in the week before?) and 6144 had a NEW CARPET smell! The extra room at the bottom of the bed and opening the bathroom door was great as was the service from the stateroom attendants. We had fantastic weather and used the balcony but I believe we were lucky. If you have good weather the balcony would be great but I would rather have 3 extra days guaranteed than hope I could use the outside. The only downside to 6144 for me was the noise of the engines but as they put the penthouse suites nrxt but one my DH says I am sensitive to noise. Hope this helps

In my opinion, itinerary trumps ship/cabin. The Millennium 10-day has much more ALASKA in it than the Spirit's 7-day. The Millennium goes to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, and Victoria (http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000ylk5j7Dhu-aaW-CRkaPUOfi:12hdebcnj?packageCode=ML10A005&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results). The Spirit goes to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Glacier Bay (http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=YVR&itinCode=GB8&durDays=7&shipCode=SP&subRegionCode=AG&rateCode=B&sailDate=9/9/2009). You also have longer port times on the Millennium. The only drawback of the Millennium is that it departs Sept. 18th - which is getting pretty late in the season.

Millennium 6144 should be Concierge Class, as I had 6143 on Constellation. Balcony is about 4 times larger than a normal balcony and it's teak wood to match up to the suites on either side. Cabin is about 20 square feet larger than a normal balcony cabin. But there are alots of amenities not offered to regular balcony cabins. Fresh flowers and fresh fruit, plusher robes, special breakfast room service menu, little nicer toiletries in the bathroom with plusher towels and rug, binoculars & umbrellas for your use, imprinted stationary, & a very nice canvas tote bag. Checkout Concierge Class listing on Celebrity website, I can't remember all the amenities. Plus it's in amongst all the suites, so it's quiet and your cabin steward is one of the best or they wouldn't be servicing the suites.

I haven't sailed Carnival recently, so can't comment on that ship or cabin, but I wouldn't want an aft cabin anyway as watching the wake makes me seasick.

You have to make that decision. We thoroughly enjoyed our CC 6143.

I realize I've never been on either of these ships...so my opinion comes from the photos....There IS no comparison between the cabins..the Mille cabin is Not anything special at all' date=' and the balcony doesn't come close (from photos, it really isn't as special as the fans of 6144 always claim anyway..only about twice as deep as a reg. small balcony) SOOOO your real choice is the between the sailings. [/quote']

I think it's interesting that this poster, who admits she has been on neither of the ships, can opine that the Mille cabin is nothing special and that the balcony isn't as special. I've actually sailed the Millennium in 6143 and the balcony is quite special compared to regular concierge class balconies and the cabin is larger than regular concierge class cabins. I have it booked again for my next cruise.

The balcony on the other ship looks very nice also, as does the cabin, but it would appear that you would get much more Alaska on the 10-day sailing. As I said previously, 10 days vs. 7 days is no contest for me--I'd always take the 10 days, particularly in Alaska. And since I've not sailed the other ship, I'm not really qualified to opine about it.

I sailed in 6144 and LOVED it. The balcony is covered and that is important when going to rainy Alaska. You would NOT get wet sitting in a major rainstorm on 6144. The aft balcony is beautiful too. It's up to you 7 days on Carnival or 10 on Celebrity. I'd choose Celebrity.

Fisherwoman

I looked at your link to Carnival, checked out their deck plan, in comparing to Infinity 6144 where I stayed for 14 nights in 2007, and the same cabin on Millenium that I visited in 2005.

Internal space( cabin) is significantly different, 245-275 for Carnival , and ~200 for Millie( this particular cabin is about 6-12 inches deeper measured from base of bed to wall compared to other concierge class cabins ), hence you get a double sink and tub/shower combo. Desk is also larger. So is the balcony.

Infinity's balcony provides more cover than Millie( at least the 2005 version) as Millie's only covered half way out.

Strictly from the point of view of space, Carnival has more.

I cannot comment on itinerary, as It's been 10 years since my Alaskan cruise. Nor can I say anything about Carnival since it's the only mainstream line I haven't been on. What I can say about M-class 6144 ( and 6143, for that matter ) is: in addition to the obvious additional physical dimensions, the intangibles are the superior service from the highest rated cabin attendent on the ship, plus the quietest corner of passenger accomodation.

Thanks for all the great information. I have decided to stick with my Carnival booking for now. I really think a wrap aft is the way for Alaska. However, I am looking forward to booking one of these great cabins on X in the future. So if anyone wants 6144 for the ultimate alaska, it's open. Now if an aft were to open up, I'd switch in a minute to X because of all the reasons posted (service, style etc.) and the longer cruise.

Melissa

Archived