Carnival Spirit Northbound 8-27-08 review

barbevrn

Thank you again Barb .. this was a fabulous review .. I do wish you were going with us 10/27 as Karen said .. and I promise there will be reviews and pictures etc from that one .. perhaps not as well done .. but there will be something.

I like the opinion part .. so true and such good advice !!!

And by the way .. I have one granddaughter and 9 .. yep 9 grandsons .. sigh .. god must think I have patience too ..

again Thanks

Thank you so much! That is a wonderful review, and the photographs are something for you to hold on to for years to come. I promise to take GOOD CARE of your cabin! :-) Somehow, I know, the sights will not be as spectacular... but we'll enjoy it, and I'll think of you as I "burn" my fee on the balcony railing! :D

Karen

Hi Barb - I'm a Barbara too! Just dropped in here to see what's new with Carnival Spirit as we are booked for the Christmas cruise to Mexico - very few on our roll call. Wondered if this ship is in good shape. Well, came across your Alaska review and I've now been at the 'puter a couple of hours!! And didn't even scratch the surface it seems. I'll be back to read your wonderful commentary and see more of those gorgeous pictures. We love Alaska. Thank you for this Saturday morning's entertainment! Sure beats doing the waiting chores!

Skimming through I noticed you want to go to Hawaii on Spirit. We did it a couple of years ago back to back - Vancouver to Honolulu and Honolulu to Ensenada in the Fall '05 They were GREAT cruises. Hope you can do that one. When you have the time try going to the Hawaii port board here and look for the reveiw written by TravelingFamily5 (screen name) - I think it's titled "Journey to Paradise." It's a great review and similar to what you have done here on Alaska with wonderful Hawaii pictures included.

We have cruised the most on Princess and hope we will like the Spirt again for Christmas.

Thanks for all the positive comments! We thouroughly enjoyed Alaska. We by no means saw everything. There were several excurisions that we did not do, partially due to time constraints........but also due to financial constraints. Oh, yea............and because someone is a wimp and gets a little air/sea sick in small vessels.........:rolleyes: The Helicopter/glacier walk/ dog sled ride is something that really peaked my interest and it gets great reviews. The Float plane to Misti Fjiords also has folks ooohhhhhhhing and aaahhhhinnng. For bear viewing, some of the fly in bear excursions look phenomenal.........

I cannot stress enough how important it is to do your research here. I ready about a coupon book for buy one get one free activities. I skimmed it online and didn't see anything we would use.

Barb --thank you again for sharing!! Beautiful pictures -- loved the little boy gazing out the window, and your poor DH waiting in the airport. Kinda' makes you know it's time to move on. SIGH!! It also make me realize, again, how blessed and fortunate we are. Amazing trip, and I'm grateful you took us along.:D :D Silver

• 1 month later...

Hi Barb,

Thanx so much for taking us along on your Alaskan journey. It brought back tons of memories for me - we've been twice - once in Sept. of 2006 and again this year the first week of June. I've begun planning our 2010 Alaskan southbound cruise, which will follow a week in the Seward/Homer area that we will plan ourselves....thanks to the wonderful people on CC who are so happy to share!

Our previous AK cruises were with HAL, both roundtrip from Seattle. While we love HAL, it seems you can't get a verandah cabin on one-way cruises, so we've set our sights on Carnival Spirit. Since reading your review, I'm convinced I MUST have an aft balcony. One of the posters on your review spoke about a specific cabin - #4237 wrap around balcony, on the main deck, I believe she said, which is a covered balcony. Perfect for Alaska, as you well know!

I so enjoyed your review and the photos and all the commentary. You did a great job - made me "homesick" for Alaska (don't laugh! If my husband had his way, we WOULD live there!!:p

So as I've been whiling away this dreary Sunday afternoon in Penna., I spent an hour of that reading your review, dreaming of our upcoming trip back to the magnificent state of Alaska (shoot! We've got well over a year to wait!), and sitting here with a goofy grin on my face. Thanks for making my day!:D

• 2 months later...

Barb...I am a fellow San Antonian and am heading on my first Alaskan Cruise in May of 09. I am so excited. It is cool to read a review of a "neighbor"! Where did you book the train ride, since you said you did not book that through Carnival?

Hello Barb... I'm doing the same cruise you did this coming June. My question is about Prince William Sound. Do you think you saw enough of Prince William Sound or would another tour of Prince William Sound by a smaller boat be needed? Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Barb...I am a fellow San Antonian and am heading on my first Alaskan Cruise in May of 09. I am so excited. It is cool to read a review of a "neighbor"! Where did you book the train ride, since you said you did not book that through Carnival?

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. We went with Chilkoot Charters.

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonrail.htm

Hello Barb... I'm doing the same cruise you did this coming June. My question is about Prince William Sound. Do you think you saw enough of Prince William Sound or would another tour of Prince William Sound by a smaller boat be needed? Thank you!

You would probably enjoy a smaller boat tour. The ship has to stay in the channel and is all that close to the shore. Yes, you can spot the bald eagles AND occasional whales......but they are relatively far away. It would be breathtaking to get a closer look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
I thought I completly missed that picture of my first DOD. But, I didn't lol

232323232%7Ffp4327%3B%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334756698%3B5nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4327%3B%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D323347566%3A%3A74nu0mrj

These first two were taken in the "jungle" which wraps around the 2nd level of Pharaoh's Palace on the Atlantic deck. I did have to use my forced flash for the window picture.

232323232%7Ffp43287%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334756698%3A%3Cnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43287%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D323347566%3A%3A6%3Cnu0mrj

Next two are near Pharoah's Palace, I think I have more later

232323232%7Ffp4327%3B%3Enu%3D3244%3E%3A83%3E942%3EWSNRCG%3D32334756698%3B6nu0mrj

At one of the entances to the sports bar. I went back later and took some more photos. I'll share them when I get there

Can I please use your photo of the giraffe and monkey photo from page one for a tour of carnival spirit video on youtube it's the one with you not in it ... I have been searching for a image like this I would of got one but my camera broke :(