What Do You Expect If Your Cruise Is Diverted?

Leo Jay

The only thing I ever expect on a cruise is a safe trip and I rely on the Master of the Vessel to provide it using his years of experience sailing in all kinds of weather.

Announcements, notices, constant weather updates, etc., don't concern me. If it's something important, like missing a port, let me know. Returning to an alternate port instead of where the cruise left, let me know. Extra days at sea due to weather? Let me know.

Else, leave it alone. I'm cruising and having a ball. Nothing I can do about weather or about any decision the Captain makes to ensure a safe cruise anyway.

Now, let's go to the bar for another Yellowbird!!!!!:D

The only thing I ever expect on a cruise is a safe trip and I rely on the Master of the Vessel to provide it using his years of experience sailing in all kinds of weather.

Announcements' date=' notices, constant weather updates, etc., don't concern me. If it's something important, like missing a port, let me know. Returning to an alternate port instead of where the cruise left, let me know. Extra days at sea due to weather? Let me know.

Else, leave it alone. I'm cruising and having a ball. Nothing I can do about weather or about any decision the Captain makes to ensure a safe cruise anyway.

Now, let's go to the bar for another Yellowbird!!!!!:D[/quote']

Well said! Thank You.

I wholeheartedly agree with you 110% !

We were diverted last year and missed two stops...

HAL took off the port charges for those ports on all passengers bills

We naturally had two extra sea days...

the first day extra activities were added to the capers

the shops were giving discounts

we were given champagne for dinner

the second day

extra activities

that night they gave us a free rum punch party for two hours and a lot of rum flowed that night

Missygirl

We were diverted last year and missed two stops...

HAL took off the port charges for those ports on all passengers bills

We naturally had two extra sea days...

the first day extra activities were added to the capers

the shops were giving discounts

we were given champagne for dinner

the second day

extra activities

that night they gave us a free rum punch party for two hours and a lot of rum flowed that night

Missygirl

Now that's good customer service! Did they have too? No. Did they choose to go beyond what was neccessary? Yes !;)

Sailing the first week in Oct while we are still in Hurricane season our needs to be happy are pretty simple should we need to be diverted. Keep us safe and keep us informed as much as possible. Make us feel by their positve customer service attitude that our vacation with them is still as important to them as it is to us even if we never see our ports of call or any others for that matter. If all that happens then anything unexpected that we have to deal with will only be met by us as simply being part of the adventure.

My family and I are pretty easygoing when it comes to the cruise. Stuff happens--we have never had any problems, but I would be glad to be on the ship and that the captain was taking the ship away from the storm. I don't think I would expect anything other than to continue to relax and enjoy. If we missed ports oh well, I would survive. I am so happy when I am on my trip that I couldn't care less what I do or where we go. We actually try to book less port intensive trip anyway. This is not to say that I don't enjoy going to port. Every minute of my week or little more than week each year is cherished. If you don't have expectations, you won't get disappointed.

We were diverted on our third CCL cruise, one to Cozumel. This was during Hurricane Wilma. Our initial plan was to skip Coz and go to Progreso, but when the port of Progreso closed, that became an extra sea day. We were refunded our $25 port charge as well as our charges for CCL scheduled shore excursions.

On the way back to Tampa, the hurricane turned towards Tampa, too! Tornadoes were reported in Tampa and consequently, that port was closed as well, giving us an extra day on the ship. The staff could not have been nicer, the dining service didn't suffer in the least. Of course tips were added, and we were glad to pay them for the great service we'd gotten.

We did recieve notice, at scheduled times throughout the day, and spontaneously when info became available, as to the itinerary of the ship. We were constantly assured of our safety, and informed of how far we were from the hurricane.

Carnival did allow each stateroom to make a free ship to shore call, 2 minutes worth, to allow for rescheduling of flights. We were advised to call someone who could take care of that for us, rather than calling the airlines themselves. We were driving, but used that time to call my parents, who were keeping our children. We happened to be close enough to Tampa when they closed the port that we were able to use our cell phones, if we went to the top deck.

As compensation, we received under our door on the last night a certificate for 25% off a future cruise. All the passengers also received the offer to stay on the ship for the next cruise, for only $100.00 pp, a 4 day cruise, since the ship wouldn't be sailing full because of messed up travel plans.

The only downside was that since we didn't actually make it to any ports of call, taxes had to be added to our onboard purchases. Still, it was a great vacation.

We were on HAL during Wilma. We arrived in FTL on schedule, but did have some ports canceled and had to stop in San Juan to refuel. I had a great time with the extra days at sea. They did offer discounted spa packages, some drink of the day stuff, and only later did we find out for those that complained about missing ports they where offered a ship credit. The captain was great, if anything it was almost too much info with him announcing the same info every couple of hours. They updated weather info and kept the passengers informed. The captain was accessible and was seen often standing the lobby answering questions personally.

The only drawback was getting up at 8 before we docked at San Juan so we could have our passports checked in the show room. The SO showed up in a Pajamas and bathrobe for that one...next year, I'm bringing bunny slippers in case that happens again.

We had a hurricane diversion (Dennis) when we sailed Conquest three years ago, and in looking back on it I think the Captain and staff did a great job - I can't think of anything more I would have asked of them. The hurricane formed after we left New Orleans; we made it to Jamaica, but it was very clear that we wouldn't make it to Grand Cayman. However, we were able to arrive in Cozumel the night before our scheduled arrival, so we had extra time in port. Every day the Captain made announcements on the PA system around noon to update us on the hurricane. Before we arrived in Cozumel, he advised that there was a good chance that the hurricane's projected path would likely mean we would spend an extra day at sea before returning to New Orleans (which is what happened) and suggested that anyone who really needed to return on time should look into disembarking in Cozumel and flying home. A couple of times a day, a chart was placed on the Promenade deck providing updates. Todd Wittmer, the CD, made announcements regularly and also did a great job in rearranging entertainment, scheduling new activities, etc. (He took some of the "minor" entertainment folks and scheduled them for the main show times after dinner.) And yes, we did receive the $25 OBC for missing Grand Cayman, even though we had extra time in Cozumel. Were people disappointed that we missed Grand Cayman? Sure - but at no time did I hear anyone complain about it.

In short, we were kept well informed and well entertained - and we stayed clear of the hurricane (although we did have rough seas that last sea day). That's all I want. Some free Internet time would have been nice, since we did need to let our workplaces know we were returning late, but it certainly wasn't expected.

good service, food and entertainment, and the ship is kept out of harm's way, I'm happy. I have been on cruises before that have diverted because of storms and I didn't mind one bit.

Yes. This. Our honeymoon cruise was diverted due to a hurricane, and I couldn't believe when I heard people complaining. I wouldn't have cared if they were sailing around in an circle in the Gulf of Mexico. I was on a cruise ship, for pete's sake! How bad could it be?

They didn't give us credits or anything...must have been before they started doing that.

But some people get EXTRA days? How cool is that!??!

I don't know if Miracle has a differnt Captan now from when I was on her back in 2005. We played keep ahead of Hurricane Wilma. We had two port cancled one before we even left the docks. What got me was everone was cheering becouse we where not going to the Grand Caymans and Costa Maya.

But the Capatin did keep us infromed on a reaguler bases about the hurrican. When 2nd port was canceled we where told that they where working on getting us anouther port of call. IF one was unavable we would have extra seadays. We ended up in Progresso, now there was an experance.

But the whole time I never seen anyone act the way I have ready about the last couple of days. Even on the way back to Tampa we where told that we may have an extra day or two at sea. becouses Wilma was heading to Tampa. I was disapontedc the next day when we came into port.

I don't understand the the free phone calls or free e-mail time.

I was stranded in Jamaica once due to a hurricane blowing thru Miami. The resort I was staying at didn't offer free minutes. Why should a ship.

I probably spent a hundred bucks in phone charges and internet time rearranging my schedule. Also had to pay for extra nights at the resort plus food.

Why does anyone expect a cruise ship to be different than an island resort vacation?

You're big boys and girls. Take care of yourselves.

I pretty much agree with the OP's list. I would not care to much about Shows at night but i would think that they would add entertainment for extra sea days.

I was going to say that i did think that the cruiseline should give internet time/phone call time or something to make arrangements until I read the above quoted post. I have had flights cancelled and had to call home and make any arrangements at my own expense as well. One time at Ohare when I got stuck overnight I had to arrange unexpected childcare etc,

At the end of the day....as long as we were all safe, the normal ammenities were provided and I was given enough info to make any changes I had to then i would be happy.

I agree whole heartedly, We have been crusin since 81 and have had our share of canceled ports. We even had a cruises that got canceled after one day at sea, due to mechanical problems and then 2 weeks later went out of business. But I keep coming back for more. We are also going on the Miracle the 14th.. 16 Members from Rolling Thunder NY3.

See you on board Howie

nn8h56pcgj6vc2eo.png

I agree with all your answers!

We sailed on RCI's Explorer last year and Hurricane Noel joined us. We had NO clue he was even around until the Captain started making announcements about it! Couldn't even find anything on regular tv about it! We missed their private island - had a sea day instead and went to St. Marteen instead of The Dominican Republic. The Captain was great with keeping us updated. We also could not dock into Bayonne until about 3pm on the day we arrived home. They had activites and I think even shows. They even did a paper for us - day 9.5! We did have free internet but no obc or anything else. We also did have a nice bumpy ride and a lot of crappy weather while sailing. I still had a GREAT time! Now I know that was RCI but I still plan on having a great time on the Miracle with or without a hurricane! :)

I was going to say that i did think that the cruiseline should give internet time/phone call time or something to make arrangements until I read the above quoted post. I have had flights cancelled and had to call home and make any arrangements at my own expense as well. One time at Ohare when I got stuck overnight I had to arrange unexpected childcare etc,

I get that. Only thing is, ship-to-shore calls cost a mint, so I don't think it's unreasonable that someone might expect a FEW free minutes, though I personally wouldn't expect it. Anyway, no one here has said they expect it, so I don't even know where that poster you quoted is coming from exactly.

:o

I get that. Only thing is, ship-to-shore calls cost a mint, so I don't think it's unreasonable that someone might expect a FEW free minutes, though I personally wouldn't expect it. Anyway, no one here has said they expect it, so I don't even know where that poster you quoted is coming from exactly.

:o

International calls cost a small mint also. Most 800 numbers don't work when you are outside the continental US.

Posts number 14 and 19 said that Carnival should provide free telephone and/or internet service.

Archived