which cruise line

sandian

T:confused: hinking of cancelling rcl southern carribean march 2010 due to dropped ports. Where do we go from here?

Still want a cruise with a reputable cruise line sailing with husband and teenage daughter so need plenty of activities and we want to see at least seven islands on a two week cruise, is this to much to ask for?

Any ideas would be welcome as I am gutted and cant think straight

Thanks

RCI and Carnival are very similar. So, if you're considering cancelling with RCI, I'd go with Carnival. I believe Carnival has a ship that goes out of San Juan that has a different port everyday. But, you can always do a back to back cruise. This would give you 7 different ports in 2 weeks. Carnival has many different ships to choose from. By March 2010 the new Dream will be sailing. We're planning on going on the Dream in June of 2010. They alternate Eastern and Western itineraries.

The OP picked Explorer of the Seas, which leaves out of NY/NJ, for the Southern Caribbean.

If you're willing to change your port of embarkation, then there are many options open to you on Royal Caribbean (I beg to differ with the above poster who said Carnival is similar - our Carnival cruise was far inferior to any other line we've sailed on).

If you are looking for more than seven days, you can do a back-to-back, as suggested above. Adventure of the Seas is a sister ship to Explorer, and leaves from San Juan on alternate itineraries to many ports that are "rare" for ships to go to. Most of the RCI ships sailing out of Florida also do alternate itineraries that can be put together into a back-to-back. Look at Freedom of the Seas, for example.

If you'd like to look at other cruiselines that are on the same par as RCI, try Celebrity (with is owned by RCI) or Princess.

I have to say that my sailing on the Liberty of the Seas was the worst sailing I have been on. (This was supposed to be the biggest and the best ship out there, but I was not impressed at all.) So, to the OP obviously cruiselines are a matter of taste. The food, service, and staterooms are better on Carnival. The decorations and shows are better on RCI.

I do not believe RCL compares to Princess or Celebrity for what the OP wanted.

OP said

Still want a cruise with a reputable cruise line sailing with husband and teenage daughter so need plenty of activities and we want to see at least seven islands on a two week cruise, is this to much to ask for?

Both Princess and Celebrity or more subdude that RCL or Carnival, so yes I think a back to back on Carnival would fit her bill better.

Don't get me wrong I like Princess and Celebrity but I am not looking for the samethings that the OP is.

I do not believe RCL compares to Princess or Celebrity for what the OP wanted.

OP said

Both Princess and Celebrity or more subdude that RCL or Carnival, so yes I think a back to back on Carnival would fit her bill better.

Don't get me wrong I like Princess and Celebrity but I am not looking for the samethings that the OP is.

Well, with a teenaged daughter, perhaps you are right about Celebrity and Princess. But I stand by my original suggestion that the OP should look into RCI ships that sail from other ports of embarkation to replace the Explorer of the Seas cruise. (Adventure had the best itineraries, IMO.)

T:confused: hinking of cancelling rcl southern carribean march 2010 due to dropped ports. Where do we go from here?

Thanks

Back-to-back cruises are a nusiance because of the "dead day" while turning around. Check Holland America from Ft. Lauderdale -Noordam has a 10 day cruise with 7 ports, and Maasdam a 14 day with, I believe, 10 or 11. Both are great ships -and if you are sailing around school vacation time, there will be plenty of young people on board -- without the whole ship being a "spring break" zoo.

Thanks

Back-to-back cruises are a nusiance because of the "dead day" while turning around. Check Holland America from Ft. Lauderdale -Noordam has a 10 day cruise with 7 ports, and Maasdam a 14 day with, I believe, 10 or 11. Both are great ships -and if you are sailing around school vacation time, there will be plenty of young people on board -- without the whole ship being a "spring break" zoo.

Thanks

Hello,

Consider 3/15/2010 sailing of RCCL's Jewel of the Seas RT Miami 11 days. This is a very nice ship, interesting ports and lots for all of you to see and do. It may not have as many ports as you would like but this is a very good itinerary.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

First off as many of the other posters mentioned, I do not think that Royal Caribbean compares to Carnival.

Other cruise lines to consider would be Princess and Celebrity but if you had narrowed down to Royal Caribbean I would look at some of their other itineraries. Out of curiousity what change did they make to their itinerary?

Keith

Sandian, I really feel badly for you, and understand how gutted you feel. Better to find out now, though, instead of when you board the ship (which happened to me!)

I searched for 10-12-14 day March 2010 cruises, and none of the voyages looked to be a good fit for your family. Example: while I love Holland America Maasdam, and the ship sailing out of Tampa Florida visits a ton of ports, Holland America is weak on onboard activities. Most of the more-than-one-week cruises cater to older couples seeking peace and quiet.

So, I think Donna K is right, and back-to-back cruises could work for you, making sure each voyage is a different itinerary. What I found was Adventure of the Seas, sailing out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. The March 7, 2010 cruise sails to Aruba, Curacao, Dominica and St. Thomas. March 14 the ship visits Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Croix.

I've cruised a lot in the Caribbean, and these islands are an outstanding mix. Also, for "turnaround" day, you'll be in wonderful San Juan, with the historic old city spread out in easy walking distance.

Another possibility would be Serenade of the Seas, also cruising out of San Juan. March 6 the ship visits St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica and Barbados. March 13 the itinerary is Tortola, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Grenada.

There may be some reason these B2B don't fit you - you're not happy with price, can't get the same cabin for both legs (although the ship usually helps with the move), you really wanted to visit New York City while you're on this side of the "pond". If so, then stick with Explorer of the Seas, and relax and enjoy the extra sea days. You may be surprised, and find them the best part of the trip!

Once again thanks for your help, in answer to which ports dropped at the moment just SanJuan which would have been our first port to stretch our legs. after nearly three days. But there is also talk of Barbados

Your suggestions are very helpful I still have not decided to change but will have a good idea if I do

Thanks again

Archived