Bringing Gatorade/Powerade on Board

Joan W

My husband suffers from heat intolerance. To counteract it, he has to drink Gatorade/Powerade electrolyte drinks if it's hot and sunny while out and about. Will RCCL let us bring on a case of Gatorade onboard? What if we get a note from the doctor?

This is tough on us, as I am a lover of sunshine, beaches and cruising!

Thank you all! I knew we could not bring alcohol, but I wasn't sure about the water/soda/non alcohol drinks. This makes it much easier for planning.

Now, how do I go about getting a case of water or soda on board? Do I just tag it like luggage?

You can bring as much as you want....but it will be much more convenient to simply bring potassium pills. Gatorade is just water, sugar salt and potassium. You can get the water and sugar aboard with any sweet drink and salt from any shaker. Just take a small bottle of potassium. Mix up your own....and it will probably taste much better than Gatorade.

My husband suffers from heat intolerance. To counteract it, he has to drink Gatorade/Powerade electrolyte drinks if it's hot and sunny while out and about. Will RCCL let us bring on a case of Gatorade onboard? What if we get a note from the doctor?

They won't stop you.

TRAVELBUGS, I noticed that you posted on the St. Maarten website about renting a car. We would LOVE to do that and have driven all over the states and are not concerned about getting lost. However, we read on carols-cruise-port-itineraries.com that it is quite dangerous, that crime is frequent and particularly for a couple in a rental car... we had hoped for an open air Jeep... We've sailed to the Caribbean many times and have never felt threatened. I would love to hear your opinion of safety in St. Maarten.

Dinah

dinahsue@dinahfuller.com

I now travel with something I found at Smiths (Kroger) supermarket. It is called "In An Instant". It is a suger free version with as much potassium and sodium as Gatorade. It comes in a box of packets that make into a 16 oz drink. Bring an empty water bottle. The big thing for me is that you take it on a plane. Powerade (or maybe it was Options?) has something similar but it is harder to find. Check the box carefully because there are a lot of similar products and most do not have potassium.

Why not save space and weight and bring the powder? It's every bit as effective as the pre-mixed liquid. It's also, usually, cheaper.

Tee

Archived