Regular or French Manicure?

JudeeJim

Either would be fine, but a french manicure would probably last longer. I personally LOVE the look of a french manicure and you NEVER have to worry about whether your clothes clash with your nail polish.

They should both (american vs french) have the same durability. You need to make sure you, or your manicurist, use a quality top coat. This is what gives the finished nails its durability.

French tips are done with an airbrush and, depending on the artist, can be more or less opaque. Traditionally French Tips are considered to be classier. American is done with all polish and gives a more natural look. If you chip a french tip, you have to get them re-airbrushed. If you chip an american manicure, you can touch up that area if you bring the polish with you.

frenchmani2.JPG(French Tip)

americanmani.JPG(American Manicure)

Different areas must have different definitions of French and American.

In the Seattle area a French manicure has a bright white tip and a pinkish nail while the American has an ivory tip. Both can either be airbrushed on or hand done with polish.

I have never heard that the technique (airbrushing) makes a difference to what the style is called but maybe in your area it is different?

They should both (american vs french) have the same durability. You need to make sure you, or your manicurist, use a quality top coat. This is what gives the finished nails its durability.

Just what I was thinking. There is no difference in how long a french or american manicure lasts. It has to do more with the quality of polish and top coat, as well as how careful the wearer is with their hands and their kinds of activities in general.

French tips are done with an airbrush and, depending on the artist, can be more or less opaque.

French tips can be done by airbrush or painted on with a brush. Makes no difference. White or ivory tips that are not the wearers own natural color are french tips. Doesn't matter how they were applied.

Traditionally French Tips are considered to be classier.

Good grief no! French tips are acceptable, and some women prefer them, but they definitely are not considered "classier" than a classic american mani and never have been - even at the peak of their popularity. In fact, in some circles, french mani's are quite "out" now and so actually considered very unclassy.

French tips can be done by airbrush or painted on with a brush. Makes no difference. White or ivory tips that are not the wearers own natural color are french tips. Doesn't matter how they were applied.

This is somewhat true, although I have to correct you in that white is indeed the signature of a true french tip. However, in most salons if you ask for an American manicure you will likely be treated to a hand polish with a creamier tip whereas french tips are almost universally airbrushed white.

Good grief no! French tips are acceptable, and some women prefer them, but they definitely are not considered "classier" than a classic american mani and never have been - even at the peak of their popularity. In fact, in some circles, french mani's are quite "out" now and so actually considered very unclassy.

I agree with you on your distaste for french tips, which is why i said i like the american manicure better. But perhaps our tastes differ from the trends of society. Here's a snippit from an article in Beauty Magazine;

What is the difference between an American and a French manicure? A French manicure has more of a flesh toned base or a nude look to it. It goes with most fashion choices and with at a look of simplicity that will make your outfit shine. The look is very sophisticated and can give the ugliest hands a chance to look classy. The French manicure looks great and goes good with a dark cocktail dress or a red formal gown. They can be seen at formals and black tie events. The French manicure is very bold in nature and can be recognized by the white tips.

American manicures start with a shade of pale pink and then finish up with opaque white for the tips. The tips are sometimes painted first and then the rest of the nail is then painted with a base of pink or a neutral shade that will bring out the color of the nail.

Here are a couple more images of French VS American manicures, hope you find the one you like!

worldofwatiblogspotcomxs9.jpg French Tips

frenchmanicurebeautynewrg5.jpg American Manicure

I should probably say too, that different salons in states have different meanings for the same type of design and style. If you ask for a Sweet Tea in New York, im certain it would not be the same sweet tea you'd get in Arkansas :D

Thank you all for the great information and pictures. We will be on a 10 day cruise so will make sure there are 2 coats of top coat. I am thinking about going with the less white tips, American right? Gee so many things left to do and we leave in 10 days.

Judee

I hate a french or american on the toes! Yuk! The purpose of putting the white tips on is to simulate the natural tip of the nail which is the part that extends past your fingertips. This makes your nails look longer. Why would you want your toenails to look long?

This American vs French manicure debate is perplexing to me...

I've never heard of an "American" manicure. When you said that, I assumed you meant nails painted all one opaque polish color (red, pink, maybe blue!) The pictures and descriptions and airbrush discussion were new to me. As a native Kentuckian, to me "French manicure" means clear/sheer pink/sheer beige/sheer peach with white or ivory tips, could be airbrushed or painted. (When I do my own I use two coats of off white polish for the tips with a single layer of pale pink over top to "soften" the appearance...)

I don't consider myself a manicure expert at all (although I freehand better tips than any non-nail-techs I know!) but having grown up with parents who owned a salon, I've spent a little time around these things and think I am familiar at least what is considered what in my home state. How strange that such similar treatments can be called completely different things!

And to answer the OPs question... I think either will look lovely. Have fun!

This American vs French manicure debate is perplexing to me...

I've never heard of an "American" manicure. When you said that, I assumed you meant nails painted all one opaque polish color (red, pink, maybe blue!) The pictures and descriptions and airbrush discussion were new to me. As a native Kentuckian, to me "French manicure" means clear/sheer pink/sheer beige/sheer peach with white or ivory tips, could be airbrushed or painted. (When I do my own I use two coats of off white polish for the tips with a single layer of pale pink over top to "soften" the appearance...)

I agree. I also never knew there was such a thing called an 'american' manicure. To me it looks like a french mani, which I never liked. I think they're especially weird looking on feet.

Here's a story about them from last fall from a magazine which basically says they're still popular in the midwest but out of style in NY. (which is true)

http://www.beautynewsnyc.com/beauty/french-manicures-%e2%80%93-perennial-or-passebn-asks-the-eternal-question/

I agree. I also never knew there was such a thing called an 'american' manicure. To me it looks like a french mani, which I never liked. I think they're especially weird looking on feet.

Thank goodness .. I was about to think I should question my taste .. I have never liked them either. I got talked into one once .. and I felt horrible for two weeks .. It just isn't a style I am comfortable with .. but you sure see it a lot.. so it must be very popular.

I hate a french or american on the toes! Yuk! The purpose of putting the white tips on is to simulate the natural tip of the nail which is the part that extends past your fingertips. This makes your nails look longer. Why would you want your toenails to look long?

I swear, practically every woman I see with toenails done has them "french"! I think they are faking the "tips" though, not many people would want their toenails that long. I know I don't! ;)

Archived