Acapulco All questions answered.

Tacos&Beer

Hi Aca Dude,

We are coing to Acal in October on a cruise. We will have all day and night.

I have a few questions for you,

How is the deep sea fishing, I see one offered of 6 hours with lunch prepared back at a beach rest< is it worth the $150pp?

My other thought is we have my elderly parents traveling with us and 2 kids 6 and 10yrs old, I hear Las Caletas beach is good. What is the best way to get there and are there rest with tables and food we can order and how is the water for kids?

Evening cliff divers?- What is the best way to see them with my parents, dad is slow moving with cane? taxi? how much is it cost?

thanks for all you help..

Tacos&Beer and Aca_Port Dude,

OK, I have a few questions, we arrive on the Carnival Spirit at Noon and leave at 1:00 a.m. While in Acapulco, we would like to see the cliff divers and if can go to a beach as well as do night life. Not exactly sure how we are going to get this all in without feeling rushed, so maybe you can help us here. Before we go to the first night show (7:15 ??), we would like to go to a beach that our 7 year old will be able to swim and we can relax and have a few drinks. After the cliff diver show we would like to take our 7 year old back to the ship and go out, with our 17 year old son, if that will work. Our son will be about one week away from turning 18 years old when we are in Acapulco, will he be able to go to the bars with us? What bar do you suggest we go to that he will be able to get in, or is this not an issue?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this.

The legal age is 18 to go to a night club - You have 2 things on your side, you are his parents and you are tourists. I doubt you will experience a problem getting your son into a club, BUT DON"T HOLD ME TO THIS.

I don't think a Tour Agency is going to do a night club tour for 2 or 3 people. You need a Taxi.. I posted a thread for a driver you can trust.. He's also a great translator which can certainly help at the clubs.

The best clubs are mandara, palladium, pure, baby-o and there are other themes for Latin dancing. Acapulco is the Party Capital Of Mexico... Club for every taste.

What day does your boat arrive - you have to see those clubs on Saturday night.

Tacos&Beer,

Thanks for responding. My husband was thinking the same thing, that we would not have a problem getting our 17 year old into a club. I saw the post about the gentleman you recommended for tours. I love his Volkswagon! I want one; and I like the idea of going with him. How long does it take to get from the cliff divers to the cruise terminal? We need to take our 7 year old back to the ship before the three of us go to the clubs.

Thanks!

Tacos&Beer,

Thanks for responding. My husband was thinking the same thing, that we would not have a problem getting our 17 year old into a club. I saw the post about the gentleman you recommended for tours. I love his Volkswagon! I want one; and I like the idea of going with him. How long does it take to get from the cliff divers to the cruise terminal? We need to take our 7 year old back to the ship before the three of us go to the clubs.

Thanks!

Wow. I remember being 17, I was in New Orleans and the drinking age was 18 but no one cared about my age. I partied in every club on Bourbon street and could hang out with friends by the river and drink beer in public. Laws in US have become so strict now that almost any human action can get you into trouble. It is very sad actually.

I got to celebrate the legal drinking age twice once when I was 18 and again when I turned 21. The law changed during that time.

To answer your question, it is only like a 10 minute drive tops to the divers and that's only because of traffic. With Nelson driving you could hit several clubs in a short time or just go to one. He doesn't drink so you are safe. You can also get VIP access to the best clubs.

But just to let you know, he's not a tour operator. He's a Kid with a Taxi.

Hi Aca Dude,

We are coing to Acal in October on a cruise. We will have all day and night.

I have a few questions for you,

How is the deep sea fishing, I see one offered of 6 hours with lunch prepared back at a beach rest< is it worth the $150pp?

My other thought is we have my elderly parents traveling with us and 2 kids 6 and 10yrs old, I hear Las Caletas beach is good. What is the best way to get there and are there rest with tables and food we can order and how is the water for kids?

Evening cliff divers?- What is the best way to see them with my parents, dad is slow moving with cane? taxi? how much is it cost?

thanks for all you help..

Rerading your questions, October is not considered good to go deep sea fishing, much better from December to February. Odds are about 10 to 1 your boat will catch a sail fish.

Caleta is a great beach for seniors and children, I recommend La Cabaña restaurantwith tables on the beach and waiter service.

For the cliff divers, any cab will do it'0s a short drive; the port approved cabs charge 10 USD one way, street VW bugs charge 2 USD, at the divers you have 2 options; watch the show from the restaurant "La Perla" for 14 USD per person with 2 domestic drinks included or from the lower observation deck run by the divers union for 3USD per person .

Mind you that both have many steps to get to the balconies, and both also have walking impaired observation areas; I prefer the restaurant since this option is at ground level, the divers observation they have to manage about 12 steps.

OK I give up, what is it ? :confused:

See the picture T&B posted; it's s local dish, puffed corn boiled in herbs and spices, local tradition is to tserve his dish on Thursday's where many restaurants arrange shows and is considered a place to get together with friends, coworkers and/or family.

They serve it in a green, red and plain presentations, accompanied with a side order dish that consists of: a tostada, a fried taco, onions, radish, small stuffed pepper, cheese, pork rines, pig feet, avocado, as well as other small appetizers depending on each pozoleria (name given to the restarant that serves this dish)

Very tastey and a great lunch option, many restaurants will have it on the regular menu any tme of the week. So, give it a try

We are arriving at Acapulco on sep 26th 8 am and will be at the port until midnight. Please suggest us the best way to spend time here. We like water activities and visiting any unique places.

There is so muhc top see and do; here are a few unique places you qill enjoy (no particular order):

- Home of Dolores Olmedo, big Diego Rivera Mural on the wall.

- Casablanca Hotel - Incredible view of the port and bay of Acapulco

- Flamingo Hotel - One of the first hotels in Acapulco, place where many artists from the 50's hanged out

- Chapel of the Peace Las Brisas - Huge cross that overlooks the bay, great scenary and voews from the other side of Acapulco

- Fort of San Diego and Mask Museum - 17 century fort rich with history of Acapulco when it was defended from the pirates

- Cathedral in el Zocalo

- Palma Sola archeaological site

These are some of the places I could remember, as for water sports; there are many wave runners, parasailing, banana boat almost anywhere you decide to set up at the beach. I prefer the beach at the CICI waterpark (calm waters not too far from the port), the Hard Rock Cafe and Planet Hollywood are in the area (not sure if you're interested, but many look for either one)

If you wish to do horse back riding, surfing or ATV's you will have to go to Revolcadero in front of the Princess hotel or Playa Bonfil, located about 45 minutes from the port. You will require a driver to pick you up if you go to the last one.

For snorkeling go to La Roqueta island (Take a gass bottom boat at Caleta), then walk the hike trail to Las Palmitas beach on the other side of the island.

For snorkeling in Acapulco, I don't like La Roqueta. I prefer to snorkel in the small bay at Play La Angosta - a 15-20 minute walk from La Quebrada where the cliff divers perform, and a 1/2 block walk from Costera Miguel Aleman and easily reached by city bus or taxi in a matter of minutes from the passenger terminal area. I have some Playa Langosta photos in my online albums which you can access when you click on the link in my signature line, below.

We are arriving into Acapulco on May 9 aboard the Veendom ship for one day (9 to 4). We do not particularly care to see the cliff divers. What would be the best tour to take or go on that would be fun and/or interesting?

Really depends on what you are in the mood for;

Rafting would be my N° 1 pick, but, it's only till January at latest. Try swimming with the dolphins, shotover jet, (not sure if you have ATV's, Rhino's and horse back riding at the shore ex office).

I personally prefer a lazy day at the pool at a hotel (known as full day on the shore ex list) either at the Princess, Pierre Marques or Mayan Palace resorts.

Beach break they take you to a restaurant on the main strip and where you can rent jet skis, para sailing, banana boat, etc.

Hike at la Roqueta island, go up to the light house for an awesome view of the bay.

There is a ton of activities to do in Acapulco,

We will be in Acapulco Monday Dec 8. We plan on doing a beach and cliff divers show. After we return to the ship and drop off our 7 year old daughter we would like to go back on shore and do some clubs. Are there any with in walking distance from the terminal, if so how far. Realizing it is a Monday night might not be as exciting as a Saturday night but we want to try anyways. Ship departs at 1 am so we have to be back on board by midnight so we would like to remain close to the ship. Any recommendations or ideas ? Thanks for any help:)

Unless you're into long-distance walks, I don't think you'll find anything that close to the ship. That night will be dead quiet in the clubs, but, then, I don't know what type of "club" you're looking for. Don't get your hopes up. Maybe a nice cocktail lounge - a quiet one.

You will be in town during the days leading up to December 12th, the day on which the Virgin de Guadalupe is honored throughout Mexico. There may be some processions down the Costera Miguel Aleman - road running alongside the ship terminal - and they will be interesting to watch. Maybe plan to plant yourself in one of the sidewalk cafe/restaurants in Plaza Alvarez near the Cathedral - and do some people watching.

We will be in Acapulco Monday Dec 8. We plan on doing a beach and cliff divers show. After we return to the ship and drop off our 7 year old daughter we would like to go back on shore and do some clubs. Are there any with in walking distance from the terminal, if so how far. Realizing it is a Monday night might not be as exciting as a Saturday night but we want to try anyways. Ship departs at 1 am so we have to be back on board by midnight so we would like to remain close to the ship. Any recommendations or ideas ? Thanks for any help:)

The only place that will be packed is Paradise (with crew members), in the Condesa beach area; most of the rest will be pretty slow. Remember that the ship sails at 1am ship time, that is 2 am local time.

There is a Salsa Club in the same area named Mojito, they have a live band playing starting at 11pm, we have gone on weekdays and it's been at least at half capacity.

Note that due to the processions for the Our Lady of Guadalupe, traffic will be slow, normally it's a 15 minute drive, probably with traffic you shoudl cosider 25 to 30 minutes.

I have been trying to make reservations at La Perla restaurant. WE did this before through email but I have lost the email address. The only thing I can find on the Internet is through Alcapulco.com. I have sent two messages but have not got back a reply.

Would you have their email address or phone number? They were so great to us before we want to return.

Thanks for all the great information you have.

Also I have a service dog. Will I have any problems taking her ashore in Alcapulco?

You can email the PR manager for menu's, prices and reservations, the office email is a bust, they rarely answer, Esther can help you.

estheroterofierro@yahoo.com.mx

Regarding your dog, as long as you bring his papers (for sanitary purposes)and are declared at clearance(free pratique done when local authorities board vessel upon arrival) no problem.

Hello ACA_Port Dude and Tacos&Beer,

We will be in ACA on Christmas Day on the Carnival Spirit. I understand that everyone will be out and about that day and the Diver's will be performing. A couple of questions:

Will the Fort and the Mask Museum be open? Also, will the Zocolo be a beehive of activity and should we venture to it?

Is there someplace close to the port where we can get Pozole (Christmas is on a Thursday this year) and a Coco Loco? Or, would we be better off to get a taxi and say "Pozole and Coco Loco" and pray the driver doesn't take us 40 miles into the country to his cousins house? That may be a fantastic adventure but I don't know if I would want to pay the taxi fare.

Thanks to you both for all of the information you have provided. And, Roberto, I'll see if I can find you when we the ship docks. Are you going to be hanging around on Christmas Day?

Richard

Q. My DH is in a wheelchair, can we get a taxi to the show and can we get him to viewing point?

A. I can't speak on behalf of getting your husband and his wheel chair into a Taxi. There are special assistance vans in Acapulco if you need one. You can get him to a viewing point at the show without traversing stairs.

Q. We will be there Oct 21, arriving at noon, will there be a show sometime that afternoon?

A. Dive Times:

12:30 pm

7:15 pm

8:15 pm

9:15 pm

10:15 pm

thank you for answering my quesitions, my dh can get in and out of a taxi so we won't need a special taxi. If we wanted to go to La perle Restaurant would he be able to get in with the wheelchair and also see the show from the restaurant. Would you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again, Also if we arrive at 12:oop.m. ship time what time will it be in Acapulco?

Karen

Anybody you'd recommend for fishing (not necessarily deep sea) that provides every thing (gear, bait, license, lunch, beer, etc) for maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 day. We will be docked from noon on 10/30 to 1 AM on 10/31.

About 3 blocks away from the cruise terminal you will find the fihser's warf (Malecon) there are many local fishing boats waiting for customers, most of them will offer gear, bait and license (beer at your request it), for lunch you can buy a sandwich at the 100% natural restaurant (it's on the way to the malecon) , the price can vary with the size of the boat. You will talk with the owners and arrange a rate , just let him know what you wish to fish, probaly just go up and down the coast line.

This time of year is not the best for fishing IMO, hopefully it won't rain, we stioll expect a few showers in October.

Archived