Acapulco All questions answered.

Tacos&Beer

We will be arriving a day before our cruise departure and then taking a taxi from The Hyatt. Is there a place near the cruise terminal, or along the way that we could stop and pick up some mixers, like tonic water, coke, etc.

Gracias,

Mike:)

We went to Taxco in 1997 from Mexico City. I loved the mountains and Taxco. The church was breathtaking and a little dusty, the guide we hired said they could not remove the dust because it damages the building.

Ms. Nice, thank you for the information. This is the type of feedback I'm looking for.

I don't think a trip to Taxco makes for a good 'day trip' because of the long travel times and relatively little time left to visit the city. It's about a 7 hour bus trip, round-trip. The scenery on the way from Acapulco to Taxco is not very interesting, IMO.

About stopping someplace between the cruise ship terminal and the Hyatt Hotel: there's a Wal-Mart almost across the street from the Hyatt and you can walk from the hotel to the store in proabably 5 minutes.

I've uploaded lots of pictures of Taxco and Acapulco to online albums and you can view the photos when you click on the link in my signature line, below. The photos will give you a good idea of what to expect when visiting either of the destinations.

a P.S.: There are reports that the Hyatt will no longer be affiliated with Hyatt hotels, sometime in the near future. The hotel will be independently managed/promoted.

Here's a link to comments I posted to the other discussion where you've asked about Acapulco beaches, for the benefit of people who may look here in the future: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=870474

It's probably best, in the furture, to start a separate discussion for each question, for ease of finding/answering the discussions.

Have a great trip!

That link is going nowhere unfortunately. I would like info but cant seem to find it. Best beaches? Thanks so much

• 1 month later...

My DH and I will be arrive at Acapulco from the Island Princess on 1/3 at 7 am. We are staying at El Mirador hotel for one night, and flying home the next morning. Since we will have 5 bags between the two of us, I'm wondering the best may to get around, since it will be too early to check in to a hotel. Is our best bet just to take a taxi to the hotel, ask them to store our bags, taxi back to the pier area for sightseeing, and later that evening, taxi back to the hotel again (or walking ... we're in our 20's and don't mind the exercise, as long as it's not miserably hot or going through a rough part of town)? Or is there perhaps a taxi driver/tour guide we could hire to take us around for a few hours and store our bags? We will be seeing the cliff divers at night from our hotel (which is why we're staying there). Thanks in advance.

Mariahj: If this were my trip, I'd catch a taxi at the cruise ship terminal and get to the hotel to drop my bags. Maybe your room will be ready for an early check-in, maybe not - but holding bags is something the hotel is accustomed to.

Once you check-in at the hotel you can walk from the hotel bach towards the cruise ship terminal through the central business and historic district of the city to Plaza Alvarez to have something to eat, to people watch, visit the Catedral, walk across the street to wander the Malecon and waterfront, etc. The hotel is not located in a "rough" area - it's fine to wander about.

You can also arrange for a car/driver at the terminal to take you to the hotel, wait for you to check-in, then to take you on a several-hour tour of Acapulco. There will, also, be taxi's right outside the front door of your hotel, some of whom are driven by persons who speak reasonably good English and who can function as guides of sorts.

• 1 month later...

Acapulco seems very confusing as to what to do while in port and I'm thinking because it's so big and the traffic is supposed to be gruesome.

I've pretty much decided on a tour with Intersol tours. We'll take the

City Excursion which takes you to 3-4 points of interest and then ends with the cliff divers. 4 hours for $35 pp.

Does anyone have a better idea? Open to suggestions before I book the tour. We leave in 12 days.

Thank you so much.

we`re ( myself + the wife ) thinking of doing the exact same tour (with intersol) on april 2nd or 3rd 09.If you do book the tour let us know how it went. This tour looks ok to me!

we`re in acapulco for 2 nts,staying at the fairmont princess. Like you if anyone has any better ideas i`m open to suggestions also. hope you have a great time whatever you choose .

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a nice private catamaran sail day. Not the usual Aca cattle catamaran....can anyone suggest a local, reputable provider?

Our thoughts are to have a nice cold chelada beer and watch the Cliff Divers at Plaza Las Glorias...then catch the catamaram for a sail day.

Suggestions?

Great Idea! As Acapulco is older and crowded and is best seen from the picturesque bay. Sorry, don't know of any catamaran tours. Don't forget to stop by and browse the many celebrity signature walls from the past near the diver viewing area

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

Cliff diving area in center rear, and free viewing area on right above sofi's head

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

We embark our upcoming cruise in Acapulco. Can you recommend a moderately priced hotel relatively close to the cruise ship terminal that has a nice pool area or beach?

Thanks,

susan

Archived