12 Day Eastern Mediterranean:RCCL vs NCL?

rosie#1

I am trying to decide between two very similar cruises for Nov. 2009. One on the Brilliance of the Seas and the other on the Norwegian Jade. The price and the itinerary are basically the same. I have been on several RCCL cruises, but I have never cruised on NCL.

I now one difference is the free style dining on NCL. Are there any other big differences? Has anyone been on both ships?

Thanks,

We have been on many NCL trips but only one RCCL on the Voyager of the Sea. They are about thr same except for the free style which is ten dinning options to pick from, some with a ser charge. Also the ship is resort casual. We really like this as it is much easier to pack and with a very port intensive trip you don"t have to worry about missing dinner. However some people seem to really miss haveing the same dinner companions and waite staff for the whole trip as they like the bond that develops and it really turns them off to NCL. Seems like you eather love it or hate it.

Haven't checked lately, but doesn't the Brilliance stop for one long day in Alexandria?, where the Jade definitely stays for two days.

We've been on the NCL Jewel (sister to the Jade), and the Radiance (sister to the Brilliance). Loved both the Jewel and the Radiance. However, DH and I prefer Freestyle, and when given a choice will always select NCL.

We have the Eastern Med on the Jade on our 'to-do' list for 2010 or 2011.

Have a great cruise!

We chose the Jade in January 2009 mainly because of the 2 days in Egypt. We have booked a private two day tour from the port in Alexandria which will overnight in Giza (Cairo) in a room with a pyramid view! We are thrilled to finally be getting to Egypt! Since the flights are so expensive we opted to do a B2B cruise for a total of 21 days on the Jade. Not having to bring any "dress up" clothing with today's luggage restrictions was a big plus for us! Our previous NCL cruises have been on the Jewel in the Southern Caribbean and the Pride of America in Hawaii. Both cruises were excellent! We also have enjoyed two RCCL cruises thoroughly - Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda and the Sovereign of the Seas to the Bahamas. The two days in Cairo were the "clincher" for us to choose NCL for our coming B2B cruises.

I did notice NCL has an over night in Alexandria vs. RCL one day in Alexandria and one day in Port Said. We actually never go to the formal nights on RCL, so NCL may be a perfect fit. I am going to give it a try. Thank you for the info.

Archived