1st TIMERS TO WASH DC / NYC...NEED GUIDANCE

ERTHDOG

hi all, we are in preliminary planning for vacation for 20th anniversary:)

we are thinking maybe flying to washington dc for couple days,then new york city for couple days, then cruising out of nyc or cape liberty,nj

any info on getting from point A , to B , to C would be great, as we have never been to northeast coast and know nothing:o

trains,ferrys,whatever....enlighten us please

TIA,dave:D

hi all, we are in preliminary planning for vacation for 20th anniversary:)

we are thinking maybe flying to washington dc for couple days,then new york city for couple days, then cruising out of nyc or cape liberty,nj

any info on getting from point A , to B , to C would be great, as we have never been to northeast coast and know nothing:o

trains,ferrys,whatever....enlighten us please

TIA,dave:D

Don't fly take amtrak from penn station to washington and back

Take Amtrak.

what do you want to see and do?? there is SOOOOO much in DC that you won't see it all!

I would maybe try the Tourmobile in DC.....great overall look at what is there.....or Old town trolleys or even the DC ducks.

www.tourmobile.com

Union station in DC is right on the Metro....great way to get around. Buy a pass..good after 9:30 AM mon-fri and all day on weekends and holidays.

www.wmata.com

I would stay downtown...closer to the action...OR maybe over in Crystal City (by national airport-Reagan National, a/k/a DCA!) Dulles is TOO far out...and TOO bloody big. So fly into DCA...you can catch metro right there.....OR, if you stay in Crystal CIty, the Crystal Gateway marriott is really nice, and on TOP of the metro. [NOT the Crystal City marriott...YUCK!]

The Smithsonian has MANY museums.....great fun. ALso, you want to see all the monuments....and the Pentagon monument to the 9/11 victims just opened yesterday.

Then, hop Amtrak up to NY Penn station. (If I were you , I would book business class..the trains get PACKED!) If you can spare the extra money, take Acela (the REALLY nice, somewhat high-speed amtrak train.....costs a bit more, but probably worth every penny!)

as for NY.....do whatever......there is SOoooo much. Lots of people get on a hop-on, hop off bus....if you click the link in my signature, there is SOME NY info..mostly Cape Liberty, but it's a start.

what else can we tell you?// I go to DC all the time...I am only 1 hour from NY but I don't go there too much. you can email me if you'd like more info...i have done ALMOST everything in DC!

cruisermeg at verizon dot net

put cruise critic in the subject!

happy planning.

thanks bob , and meg, thank you for the detailed info,this will give me a beginning for research:)

truth be told, i have no idea what i must see,love to see it all!!:D

sounds like i should budget a little more land time,and maybe less cruise time, or maybe more both,lol

if specific questions arise,i may email you meg,thanks for the offer:cool:

dave

We were in D.C. a couple years ago for only 5 days, not nearly enough time. all the museums and monuments are a must;the metro is great for getting around, they even sent me a refund for a partially used pass. You might want to make a point to see the "nautical" museum before your cruise(sorry, I can't think of the exact name).

You can spend an entire weekend just touring the Smithsonian in DC and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan.

I would recommend Amtrak from DC to NYC or vice versa. However, the Acela is usually a few hundred dollars more for a shorter trip of approximately 15-20 minutes. Check their site.

It may be helpful to check online sites for things to do in both cities and then narrow things down to your preferences. Your options are endless, but you're not going to be able to "see it all". ;)

there is no way to see it all.......get a couple guidebooks and pick out a few things to do...

if you'd like to see the Capitol or the white house, write to your congressman/woman and/or senator to get passes......you used to just be able to show up and walk thru the Capitol building (heck, WE own it!) but now i don't think you can...i did that once years ago, and went to my Reps office and asked for tickets to get into the gallery to watch the goings-on!

you can also eat LOTS of yummies....we like the Old Ebbit grill www.ebbitt.com it's near the WH and not terribly expensive.....

(i only suggested acela because the trains are nicer and more comfy......the regular Amtrak trains are JAMMED.....try to avoid rush hours.......

i would NOT rent a car...you can get 99% of places in DC on public transit!

(i only suggested acela because the trains are nicer and more comfy......the regular Amtrak trains are JAMMED.....try to avoid rush hours.......

i would NOT rent a car...you can get 99% of places in DC on public transit!

Hi megr. We just got back from NY. Left Baltimore on a Tuesday at 2pm and left NY on a Thursday at 2:30pm....no jam packed trains, there were empty seats around us on the Northeast Regional both ways.

Now, it's a whole different ballgame during commuter hours, on holidays and between Thanksgiving and Christmas....major Manhattan tourist time. ;)

I agree..no need to rent a car, because you'll just be driving around in circles forever in DC. :D

ok,i understand,the amtrak seems to be the way:)

oh,and i do love food,i definitely want to eat some of the famous treats from the area,so suggestions in that field are appreciated.

our anniversary is in february, but we arent going to let our jobs dictate what time of year we go(not for this vacation,anyways:p )

what time of year would be good,both decent weather wise and less tourist wise?

taking amtrak with our luggage,is this do-able no problem?

more questions will follow,i can feel it:D

dave

Weather wise--- April thru Oct are the nicest months (with July & Aug. bbeing the warmest) and also offer you more cruise opportunities --In October MOST of the ships head down south to sail out of warmer climates (Fla., Puerto Rico) though there are still a couple that sail out of NY /Cape Liberty year round.

Tourist wise-- I would say that most of the tourists are here during school vacations - especially summer months and during the holiday season (Nov. -Dec.), however you really won't notice them since the city itself is so big with so much to see & do!

ok,i understand,the amtrak seems to be the way:)

oh,and i do love food,i definitely want to eat some of the famous treats from the area,so suggestions in that field are appreciated.

our anniversary is in february, but we arent going to let our jobs dictate what time of year we go(not for this vacation,anyways:p )

what time of year would be good,both decent weather wise and less tourist wise?

taking amtrak with our luggage,is this do-able no problem?

more questions will follow,i can feel it:D

dave

DC is great in spring....cherry blossom time (march-ish) is gorgeous.

http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/index.php?id=390

Explorer OTS sails year round from Cape Liberty in NJ!

Amtrak isn't bad with luggage.........not great, not bad. there is no checked bag service on the regular North East Corridor trains....BUT there are redcaps....they are really very nice in DC....i have used them often. I would pack as lightly as you can......you can always find a laundromat...actually most hotels have self serve laundries....not SO much in full-service places....(but many do!) usually in the more select-service types there are washers and dryers.

there is room at the end of the cars for luggage....now if you catch, say Silver Service (these are the Fla trains that go NY to FLA via Washington...you MAY be able to check your bags...but i can't remember!)

BTW..Washington Union station is beautiful as well.....and there is bag storage available...(it's kinda near Sbarros/the mens room and the Metra trains....it will make sense when you are there!) there is a small fee and you need photo ID but i have used it countless times while awaiting my train. AND....Shhh but if you have a laptop and sit CLOSE ENOUGH to the Acela lounge ou can tap into the free wi-fi, but you didn't hear that frm me!):rolleyes:

http://www.unionstationdc.com/

Cherry blossom time DOES bring out the tourists...BUT if you stick in the middle-to-end, it will be less crowded...granted, it IS spring break-ish but it's really pretty.

May is good too....not super hot....

the GOOD thing is MOST of the attractions in DC are free so you can save money that way and use it in NYC and/or to eat dinners and for the cruise!!

Here is their policy:

"Baggage Policy and Information

For passenger safety and comfort, we strictly enforce the baggage limits stated in the guidelines below. We encourage all passengers to read these guidelines when making travel plans.

Number of Bags

(per passenger) Weight Limit

(per bag) Size Limit Check-in Time

Carry-On Baggage 50 lbs.

(23 kg) 28" x 22" x 14" n/a

Checked Baggage 50 lbs.

(23 kg) 36" x 36" x 36" 30 minutes

prior to departureChecked baggage is not available on all trains or in all stations.

Guidelines for Carry-On Baggage

Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included in this limit are personal items such as purses, briefcases, laptop computers, baby items such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats, and equipment required for a passenger's medical condition such as breathing assistance devices and oxygen tanks.

50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.

Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28x22x14 inches in size.

Visible Tag Required: All carry-on luggage must be visibly tagged with the name and address of the passenger. Passengers may use their own personal identification tags, or may obtain free Amtrak baggage identification tags at station ticket offices, or onboard trains from a member of the train crew.

Special Items: Ski equipment, snowboards, golf clubs and bicycles may generally only be handled as checked baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as carry-ons. Items are permitted onboard when they can be safely stowed in the exterior lockers of Superliner equipment, or onboard equipment that is specifically designed to safely and securely accommodate the storage of the items.

Guidelines for Checked Baggage

Amtrak offers checked baggage service at many stations and on many trains and Amtrak Thruway motorcoaches throughout the country. Not all trains and stations offer checked baggage services.

Three-Piece Limit: Each ticketed passenger may check up to three pieces of luggage at no charge. Up to three additional pieces may be checked upon payment of $10.00 per piece.

50-Pound Limit: Each checked bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs. We will not accept heavier pieces.

Size Limit: Each checked bag may not exceed 36x36x36 inches in size.

Check-In Time: Check all baggage at least 30 minutes prior to departure, and longer for special items. Baggage checked less than 30 minutes prior to departure may be delayed.

Suitable Bags: Pack your baggage using sturdy luggage or containers that are capable of withstanding expected handling. Please note that we do not accept plastic storage containers, lightweight suit bags, and other similar items as checked baggage.

Baggage Tags: Attach your name and address to each item. Free identification tags are available at stations or from crew members, or you may use your own.

Where Available: Checked baggage service is available at many stations and on many trains and Amtrak Thruway buses throughout the country. See individual station pages on this site, available from the 'Stations' section, for more information.

Claiming Checked Baggage: Checked Baggage will be available for claiming generally within 30 minutes of arrival. However, some items may require additional handling and therefore may take up to 60 minutes. Be prepared to identify your baggage by the claim check numbers. Storage charges apply to baggage not claimed within two days of arrival.

ID Required: To check baggage, you must have a valid photo ID. For more information about ID requirements, please see our Passenger Security and ID page.

Special Items: Amtrak accepts a number of special items such as baby strollers, bicycles, golf bags, musical instruments, snowboards and skis (one board or set per bag/container). In most cases there is a handling charge of $5.00 per special item."

That said both Union Station and Penn Station do have checked baggage service. The Silver Service train between DC and NY runs daily and allows checked baggage and is the train I would suggest.

Cheers,

it's part of amtrak...the silver star and silver meteor IIRC....they are the trains to and from FLA...BUT they may have weird hours, and come to think of it, are sometimes a little NOT on time.....

At least the regular NE corridor regional trains and the somewhat-more-costly acela are closer to on schedule....LOTS closer. (Once amtrak gets south of say, richmond, they no longer own the tracks, thus they are al the liberty of tghe various freight train lines-and since freight equals BIG BUCKS and passengers equal NO BUCKS, guess what takes priroty on the tracks! YUP! I was on a Fla train IN fla and it was 4 hours late..that was before I got on it.....they bussed us to another station!:eek:

Hmmm...I am a Jersey Pizza SNOB....so, i can't help you, but maybe Joes pizza or carmines....(but maybe they are a little touristy???)

I like Virgils BBQ in Times Square...it is JUST down the block from where the Good Morning America studio is.....i have had better but it really isn't bad and it isn't a billion bucks either...

if there is still a book called "where the locals eat" that might help...

(BTW even though there is checked bag servce in DC and NYC, i do not think you can check it on the NorthEast COrridor trains as they don't have baggage cars (IIRC)-but again, the redcaps will help you and will put it on the train...

thanks for the links howard,very handy:)

meg...jersey pizza snob,hehehe:D any semi close to port liberty?

this is gonna be a blast,i know i cant do it all,but we are gonna do as much as possible within reason;)

the research continues.....

dave

thanks for the links howard,very handy:)

meg...jersey pizza snob,hehehe:D any semi close to port liberty?

this is gonna be a blast,i know i cant do it all,but we are gonna do as much as possible within reason;)

the research continues.....

dave

eh...90 minutes...which for me, would be nothing....

lookie here...we used to go to the ones in trenton, but the one in robbinsville is newer, safer, has a parking lot AND a bathroom (trenton isn't the safest city in the state!)

http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/

(i could literally take a bite out of my laptop right now!

they have been known to take the phone off the hook. the original one sold tomato pie....that's it. no bathroom (grandfathered in to NOT have one!)

the owner is the grandson..pie tastes the same....not sure WHY you would fill up on dumb stuff like GRASS??!! In my stupid youth, i could eat a whole small pie....solo. i can still pack it away. the rules are go EARLY (like really people will get in line----especially on friday!)

i gotta stop...i need a pie (a photo of which HAS been my avatar!)

DeLorenzo's looks yummy,but without having a car i think i wont be able to enjoy it:( car service from nyc to cape liberty is one thing,but if i add in a 3 hour round trip for a pie,it might be the most expensize pizza of all time!:rolleyes:

thanks once again

dave

Hey Meg, thanks for the heads up on the Robbinsville location for DeLorenzo's.

Just a little jog off the turnpike, rather than all the way into Trenton. I'll be stopping there soon.

Who knew?? Someone from maryland who knows from pie!

dave....too bad....i'll have some for ya......:rolleyes: twist my arm! TOO MUCH!!!

Pie, steak, beer, ice cream, dessert and frozen thinggies........the 6 basic food groups!

My two home cities, NY and DC.

Getting between two, there are a ton of options.

Amtrak is your best bet as you will be in the heart of both cities. The regional trains can get a little busy during rush hour, but its reserved service so they run extra-long trains.

Flying is the other option, espically the Delta or US Airways Shuttle from DCA to LGA. Again, in NY--you have a harder time getting to the city proper.

There there are Chinatown buses which are really cheap but some have safety problems, etc. Some of them start as law as $2 r/t.

In DC--make sure you see the monuments at night. They literally are amazing, very moving and the mall is much quieter at that hour.

Metro is great for getting around but be advised they do major track work most weekends and you could face delays. Parking and driving in DC is an experience in itself.

Parking and driving in DC is an experience in itself.

You don't say!!!!!! Fun, yes since its neat to see stuff....BUT too easy to get lost (and/or wind up in a part of town that isnt so, uh, touristy!)

Metro is the best....might take a little longer......I like riding the Yellow line from town out towards DCA as it goes OVER the Potomac...........really cool view!

We are shocked that none of the Maryland folks posting here, knowing that the OP loves good food, have not advised an overnite/one day stop in Baltimore to check out all there is to offer. Inner Harbor, crab cakes, Fells Point, water taxi, Little Italy (great food), ESPN Zone, and much, much more. And, maybe even sail out of Baltimore on a cruise instead of NY?

Howard, how have you been doing? Any news on a Grandeur CL anytime soon?

Rick and Deirdra

In DC--make sure you see the monuments at night. They literally are amazing, very moving and the mall is much quieter at that hour.

Metro is great for getting around but be advised they do major track work most weekends and you could face delays. Parking and driving in DC is an experience in itself.

We were in DC on a land vacation a few years ago, and that is one regret, we never saw the monuments lit up. Did anyone mention the trams that you can buy tickets to that gives you a guided tour? Or any of the big hotels offer bus tours that take you all over the place, including that night time tour.

There are so many things to see it IS overwhelming. We had tickets to get into the White House, so that was a big time saver. But truthfully, the White House was sort of a let down. It wasn't as grand as I envisioned.

These were my favorites:

Lincoln Memorial; Vietnam Wall, National Archives, Arlington National Cemetery, tour of the Capitol.

Archived