Venice - Calatrava Bridge open now

Hello...

It looks like the new bridge is kind of between the port and the train station. Does this eliminate the need for the water taxi from near the ship to the station...or other convoluted means of travel? Or, is it really too far to walk from the docks to the train?

Just curious. Got back last year and no plans to go for next few years.

Thanks...

murphysmum;)

Hello...

It looks like the new bridge is kind of between the port and the train station. Does this eliminate the need for the water taxi from near the ship to the station...or other convoluted means of travel? Or, is it really too far to walk from the docks to the train?

Just curious. Got back last year and no plans to go for next few years.

Thanks...

murphysmum;)

I've read that it crosses the grand canal between P. Roma and the S. Lucia train station, eliminating the need to take a vaporetta across the Grand Canal to get between P. Roma and the train station. From the cruise dock, you would still need to get to P. Roma first (walking, taxi or shuttle bus) in order to walk across the bridge. It won't be useful for those who would have difficulty managing stairs, or stairs and luggage.

Please tell me where exactly this bridge is and how it will help cruisers. Thanks!

Guess I read about it before I really needed the info and now forgot.

I means you only have one bridge to cross between the train station area and the Piazzale Roma--where you can get the shuttle to the port! And from the pictures it looks as though it would be somewhat easier to cross than the three bridges we crossed in May on our way to P.R. Is that a ramp in the middle???

Archived