What is Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville like

T-N-C

We are going on our first cruise and I was wanting to go to Margaritaville in Montego Bay. Is it worth it? What is it like and do they have other activities close by that we can enjoy? Do you have anyother suggestions for Montego Bay if we don't plan on doing any excursions? I am so excited 1219.gif.

We went to Margaritaville a year or so ago when our ship was in port at Montego Bay. I think it is the same as all other Margaritavilles with the exception that it is on the ocean and the restaurant has a waterslide that runs through it out to the ocean. Also they have a huge water trampoline to jump on if you happen to bring or wear your bathing suit. It is really a nice place to eat with a view of the ocean.

Just a note also about Montego Bay Jamaica. This is one port that IF you get off the ship, I would definitely take a ship sponsored excursion. It can be kind of a rough place and I didn't feel safe taking my children on the streets of Mo Bay. We decided to take the shuttle into town and do some shopping. Everything turned out okay, but I wouldn't do it again.

Good luck!!

Renee

When we were in Ocho Rios (I think it was), my DS who was 13 at the time thought it was great to watch the drunk girls dance half naked on the bar...:cool: Now Im not sure this was in Jamaica or another island, lol but there was a pool and slide as well!!! (yup, it was Ocho rios) Id guess Montego bay was similar..But as others have said if you get off the ship take a Ship excursion.

Each Margaritaville is a little different. The one on Ocho Rios has a swim up bar where you sit on barstools in the pool and they serve you from an adjoining bar. there is also a water slide. In MO Bay there is a bigger slide/tube into the ocean and bigger outside seating area. I was fine once we got to Margaritaville but the taxi ride scared the he__ out of me. Take the trolly/shuttle thingy. Better yet skip this one and stay on the ship!

Ummm we were in the one in Grand Caymen but only stayed downstairs in the gift shop, getting T shirts for our sons. While there we heard them announce a wet T shirt contest about to begin. Not exactly a family oriented place... more like girls gone wild.:o

WE were at the Cozumel one from early lunchtime thru about 4pm and it was all families there- they did a Conga Line and the staff sang Happy Birthday and serenaded people from time to time and everyone sangalong with Jimmy songs, but we didn't see anything tacky.... it may be that way at night, but we had a great time there. :)

Don't pass up the opportunity. Montego Bay Margaritaville is one of the safest and most entertaining things you can do there. The wooden animal carvings at the open air market are the only other attraction for us at that port. Mo Bay is a haven for druggies. Just do yourselves a favor, and ask the bouncer at the door to choose the cab for you when you are leaving Margaritaville. He knows which ones are legitimate, and which ones are unregistered and unlicensed.

We LOVE Margaritaville!!! :) We go whenever we are at any location that has one!! We have been to 6!! One year, we had our Easter Dinner at the one in Vegas. Montego Bay was GREAT!! We walked to some shops along the street as well, and found some great things. We also went to the beach down the road a little way from Margaritaville. We took the bus provided at the port. As in any port, you have to use good judgement and be careful, but we enjoy Jamaica very much.

We went to the one in Mo Bay.

Actually the way we did it was a lot of fun.:)

We did the catamaran snorkle tour. They take you out and you snorkle for a while, and then they take you over to Margaritaville . Seeing we were already wet and in our bathing suits, we had a ball on the waterslide. Then a few drinks later we get back on the catamaran to go back. On the way back the crew serves a punch made with 151 rum.

So by the time we got back to the ship we were definately "Wasted away again FROM Margaritaville" *LOL* :)

We went to the MoBay Margaritaville with four couples, planning to spend a couple hours and then go shopping. We walked out the door after a several hours. While waiting for the bus we decided that we enjoyed being there, and promptly did a U-turn and went back in to the Margaritaville. We spent another hour or so before heading back to the ship. BTW, we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. What a great time! We found the travel to be safe as long as you use the state-approved (JUTA??? - Can't remember) vehicles.

Mike

WE were at the Cozumel one from early lunchtime thru about 4pm and it was all families there- they did a Conga Line and the staff sang Happy Birthday and serenaded people from time to time and everyone sangalong with Jimmy songs, but we didn't see anything tacky.... it may be that way at night, but we had a great time there. :)

+2

Been to this one as well, I thought it was a pretty tame chain restaurant/bar, Senor Frogs will have the younger crowd & more TnA

• 2 weeks later...

Question...We're on the Liberty in Nov...DH has decided he wants to do an excursion, and I'm really not interested...what's the best way for me, on my own, to get to M'ville MoBay..is it within walking distance or should I get a taxi? Is there a 'trolley' or shuttle? I'm somewhat leery of heading out on my own and not sure what would be the most hassle free...plan is for me to hang out there, and he'll meet me there after his excursion...

Thanks in Advance..

• 4 weeks later...
So basically it's just a bar serving food? Jamaica is supposed to be a beautiful island, is it worth spending precious time in a bar when we have them where we live anyway?

Jamaica is a beautiful island so see as much of it as you can using a good, well informed guide. We did go into Jimmy Buffetts in Ocho Rios to round off the last hour and loved every minute of it. It backs onto the beach and we could see the ship docked from where we sat. Even if you just pop in for a quick drink it's worth the experience :D

If you're a parrothead, M-ville Ocho Rios is one of the places to go, I suppose. My boss was a Hard Rock Cafe fan, so I stopped into the one in Nassau to pick up a souvenir for her. Neither place really did much for me--except for the specialized gift shops, they seem to be pretty much the same no matter whose chain they are.

Go with whatever floats yer boat.

Archived