Pinnacle - gift from TA - need advance reservations?

novembre

Our TA tells me that we can expect to receive a "gift certificate" for the Pinnacle Grill in our stateroom when we arrive. We're looking forward to it, but I'm concerned that there might be so many advance reservations, made online, that we'll be out of luck.

I know TA often do this, so I suspect that the ships have some procedure to ensure that passengers can actually use their gift, and aren't told "sorry, all booked".

Can anyone explain how it works, thanks.

Also, since we hear that the PG is so nice, we're thinking of dining there on two nights, so should we make one reservation online? And do we need reservations for the Asian restaurant (sorry, can't remember its name)?

Help or advice appreciated.

Nov

I don't think you can book ahead if using a gift card.

You have to charge your PInnacle reservation when making it in advance of boarding.

We never pre-book and we are always able to get reservations after we board for Pinnacle dinners.

When HAL was charging only $20 per person for the Pinnacle a few years ago -- we had a few occassions when we were unable to use our free dinner voucher from AMEX Plat. The restaurant was completely booked up when we got on the ship as you can not reserve these free dinners ahead of time. I always saved the vouchers and sent them back to AMEX Plat when we got home along with a letter explaining what happened -- proof that we weren't able to use them. Once we got a lovely letter from AMEX Plat thanking us for doing this as they contacted HAL to get their money back. One time on one of the ships the manager of the Pinnacle contacted us and asked us to sign the voucher and turn it in to him even though we couldn't use it. We told him -- no way -- why should you get money for a dinner we never got to use?

I have a feeling that now that the price has been reduced to $20 again -- we are going to have trouble using the voucher again.

Depending on the ship -- the number varies.

The BIG problem is that they never fill all the tables at any one time -- half at the most. This is due to the kitchen and preparing each meal individually as ordered. Thus they limit the number of reservations for each time slot.

This is why so many people come back and report that when they walked by the Pinnacle it was empty.

Depending on the ship -- the number varies.

The BIG problem is that they never fill all the tables at any one time -- half at the most. This is due to the kitchen and preparing each meal individually as ordered. Thus they limit the number of reservations for each time slot.

This is why so many people come back and report that when they walked by the Pinnacle it was empty.

KK, I didn't know this, thanks for the information. I've wondered why the Pinnacle seemed to be half empty during prime hours. It makes sense now.

Susan

Thanks alot,

good tip to know!

Well, let's hope that my DH and I can get in for our anniversary dinner!

He purchased a package online and we're told that we can't make the reservation unitl we board.

LOL- I can see us running thru security pass the photo guy just to get to the Pinnacle to book it! LOL :eek:

wish us luck!

Kathy :)

Book your Pinnacle reservation as soon as you board the ship so you get the day and time that you want. Recently on a 7-day Amsterdam Alaska, a couple arrived at the Pinnacle wanting to use their gift card that night, the 5th night of a 7 day cruise. They were told, sorry we are totally booked tonight and for the rest of the cruise. They did luck out however, as the ship arrived in Victoria at 6PM the last night, and the Pinnacle manager told the couple they could have a reservation if they arrived at 4:55PM that night and they would be served as quickly as possible. The couple had a tour at 6:30PM so I wondered if they ever did both.

On this particular cruise, there were a lot of first timers who wanted to try the Pinnacle so the restaurant was very busy. That doesn't always happen. Better to book early then be sorry IMO.

Barbara

Archived