A Few More Oceania/Nautica Q's

veezee

DH and I have booked on Nautica for July 2009. This will be our first time on Oceania, and we have some questions for past O cruisers and those in the know.

Thanks to any who take the time to respond --I know when responses are posted on Cruise Critic they include lots of stuff not found in the brochures and cruise documents!

DINING

How many venues are there? Sit-down? Grills, pizza, snack bars?

I understand that specialty dining is without add'l charge. Is there a protocol for reservations? Hard to get?

STATEROOMS

We've chosen a B1 stateroom. We know we will love the balcony. Anything that stands out about the balcony cabins? - -positive or negative.

FITNESS/EXERCISE FACILITIES

What are they like?

GRATUITIES

In addition to an automatic daily add-on per person, is there also an 18% on all drink orders?

And **last but not least*

AIR ARRANGEMENTS/DEVIATION

Can anyone explain how this works in very simplistic terms? I've read a bit on these boards, but not sure I follow. Here's my example to illustrate my question:

My cruise confirmation papers reflect Oceania doing our air arrangements from Chicago (home base) to Istanbul and then Athens back to Chicago at cruise's end. The breakout shows this air portion of the booking at $3578 (including taxes & fees) for 2 people.

Currently, an independent check shows that flights for the cruise dates- same cities - are running $1500-$1600 per person. Conncections not bad--actually quite acceptable.

1) Do I correctly conclude from the above comparison that I would save $$ by booking independently (assuming I'd be willing to purchase non-refundable airfares this far in advance)?

2) If I like the flights I'm seeing on my independent search, does the "air deviation" option allow me to have Oceania book these same flights, but at a higher cost (amount shown on my booking plus an add-on)?

3) Generally, what are the timeframes for the decision about air arrangements? I understand that if I do nothing, Oceania will let me know what flights they've booked about 3 weeks b4 sailing and then I can request a deviation. What can I do b4 that timeframe? book independently and tell Oceania? ask for a deviation?

Sorry this last question runs on so, but the more I think about it......:confused: :confused: :confused:

Vicki

I was on the Nautica in July and will do my best to answer:

DINING

The Grand dining room and indoor/outdoor buffet upstairs are the main dining venues. There are 2 speciality restaurants for dinner and the outdoor grill area by the pool that is open for lunch.

I understand that specialty dining is without add'l charge. Is there a protocol for reservations? Hard to get?

You should make reservations as soon as you board.

STATEROOMS

We've chosen a B1 stateroom. We know we will love the balcony. Anything that stands out about the balcony cabins? - -positive or negative.

We were also in B1 - nice decor - good use of space.

What are they like?

Basic machines and some classes

GRATUITIES

In addition to an automatic daily add-on per person, is there also an 18% on all drink orders?

Yes

Can anyone explain how this works in very simplistic terms? I've read a bit on these boards, but not sure I follow. Here's my example to illustrate my question:

My cruise confirmation papers reflect Oceania doing our air arrangements from Chicago (home base) to Istanbul and then Athens back to Chicago at cruise's end. The breakout shows this air portion of the booking at $3578 (including taxes & fees) for 2 people.

Currently, an independent check shows that flights for the cruise dates- same cities - are running $1500-$1600 per person. Conncections not bad--actually quite acceptable.

1) Do I correctly conclude from the above comparison that I would save $$ by booking independently (assuming I'd be willing to purchase non-refundable airfares this far in advance)?

2) If I like the flights I'm seeing on my independent search, does the "air deviation" option allow me to have Oceania book these same flights, but at a higher cost (amount shown on my booking plus an add-on)?

3) Generally, what are the timeframes for the decision about air arrangements? I understand that if I do nothing, Oceania will let me know what flights they've booked about 3 weeks b4 sailing and then I can request a deviation. What can I do b4 that timeframe? book independently and tell Oceania? ask for a deviation?

We used FF miles and arrived 3 days early and left 3 days after the cruise was over. We originally booked with air but once we made our own arrangements we notified our TA and she notified Oceania.

Hope this helps.

Susan

Vicki

There is no simple way to explain the air deviation you are best to talk with your TA.

You can request a deviation 270 days out.

For you to compare prices ask how much the air credit is from O including taxes.

Then search the airfares & that will give you the price comparison

There is a couple of threads recently on here you may want to search "deviation" and see if it comes up.

Lyn

DINING

The Grand Dining room is sit down, country club casual for dinner, open for breakfast and lunch as well, the menu varies each evening but always includes a few "standards" and several enticing choices, there is also usually a vegetarian choice. Special menus can be arranged; talk to your travel agent. Oceania also usually offers at least one special Sunday Brunch in the Grand dining Room that is worth attending.

The Buffet at breakfast and lunch has tables inside and outside; the outside tables may be closed if the weather is bad. There is a custom omelet station at breakfast and a pizza station at lunch. In the evening, the buffet is transformed into Tapas on the Terrace with chair covers and table cloths. There is a custom pasta station, an extensive selection of tapas, some entrees and usually a carving. The offerings usually closely mirror what is available in the Grand Dining Room. Service at the buffet is handled by the crew; you do not serve yourself. Staff is usually hovering nearby to carry your plate to the table, especially the warmed pasta dishes. Staff also circulates to supply beverages.

The Waves Grill near the pool deck is open from lunch intil about 4 PM and offers what some consider to be the best burgers at sea. They also have some excellent grilled panini-type sandwiches and a small salad bar. Ice cream is available all afternoon and the ice cream bar also serves milkshakes.

Toscanna (Italian) and Polo (Steaks and chops and such) are the specialty restaurants. There is no additional cover charge. In a B1 cabin, you are guaranteed 1 visit to each specialty restaurant. If you have a special occasion, like an anniversary, that is important to you, you should make your reservations as soon as you board. Ask the staff at the gangplank; they will direct you to the location. Otherwise, be assured there will be openings for you, usually when you want it. Each day, you can also approach the maitre'd at a podium at the entrance to the terrace buffet and see if you can make additional reservations. They will often accommodate you, especially if you are making reservations for a party of 4, 6 or 8. On a 26 day cruise, we ate at the specialty restaurants a total of 10 times, 5 at each. The menus vary little if at all, so after that many visits, we foound ourselves repeating our favorites. The greatest rush is to get a reservation on a sea day, the theory being that you are less tired and can appreciate it better. We usually cruise in the winter when there are more sea days, so we have not seen this pressure. Sometimes, if the Grand Dining Room looks like it is filling up too fast, the maitre'd at the GDR may ask you if you want to switch to a specialty restaurant.

I have not used room service, so I can't comment on that.

STATEROOMS

Some people find them smallish, but it is perhaps more what you expect. We travel extensively in a Class B RV that has about 1/4 of the room of an Oceania cabin, so we think they're huge. The entire bathroom of our RV, including shower, would almost fit in the shower of the Oceania cabin, so we're rattling around on the ship. The bed is fantastic, there is adequate storage, and the balcony is really nice.

What are they like?

We have not used them, but Betsy uses the top deck walking track early every morning.

I have not seen the "breakout" of air costs on my invoice, other than the added air taxes and possibly transfer fees. I don't know what Oceania ultimately spends on my airfare. However, your travel agent should be able to tell you what amount of air credit Oceania will allow you if you do not use their service. Take this amount (typically $400 to $600 per person, depending on the flight destination and your portal city, it varies greatly from one cruise to another). Add the amount of air taxes shown on your invoice. If you decide to book your own flights, the air taxes (and transfer fees, if you had requested them) will be removed from your invoice, and the air credit will be applied. On a cruise I just booked, the air credit is $600 per person and the air taxes were $399. By electing to book our own flights, this resulted in an invoice that was lower by $1,998 ($600 + $399 times 2). I had the charges removed and the air credit applied because the cruise is from Miami to Barcelona and I live near Miami, so I only need a flight in one direction, and I can do that for less than $1,998.

A deviation works differently. In this case, Oceania is still booking and paying for your air fare, and you are still paying the air taxes. However, you request a deviation because you want to arrive earlier and/or depart later than Oceania's "normal" flights. You tell your travel agent you would like to explore a deviation, give your preferred dates, and Oceania will respond with the best flights they can find. If you accept this proposal, you will pay an administrative fee of $75 per person, and you may be required to pay an additional differential to cover a portion of the increased cost of the proposed flights, if any.

Two examples: last year, we flew from Miami to Barcelona and from Rio back to Miami. The best flights I could find involved 1 stop in each direction, and totaled about $2,500 per person. Our air credit was $500 per person and the air taxes were $387 per person, which didn't come close to the fares if I booked it myself. We wanted to arrive in Barcelona early, so I requested a deviation. Oceania proposed the exact best flights I had found on my own, with no differential! We payed our $150 administrative fee and had excellent flights.

This year, we are flying from Miami to Buenos Aires, then back from Santiago to Miami. Again, I looked up the best flights, and found that a direct flight to BA was about $2,100 per person, not even counting the flight home from Santiago. I can't recall the air credit and the air taxes, but it was again bout $1,000 per person, which would not begin to cover the flights. I requested a deviation from my Travel Agent. Oceania responded with the same direct flights at which I had been looking, and offered them for a differential of $225 per person, plus the $75 pp administrative fee. I grabbed that offer in a heartbeat.

If you do not approve of their proposal, you can suggest flights of your own and see what they would charge as a differential. If you do not accept any deviation from Oceania, you do not have to pay the $75 pp.

That's how it works. We do not have enough miles to fly coach for free or upgrade to business class, but if you do, you will have to take those into consideration. it would change the equation.

As others have said, you can request the deviation 270 days out. However, I just requested my Argentina deviation about 2 weeks ago, for a flight this December, or about 110 days out.

Even if you request a deviation in only one direction, Oceania will go ahead and book both flights for the same administrative fee; thus you will know your flights well ahead of time. This is an advantage even if you aren't flying in early or leaving late.

One other thing -- if you accept Oceania's air booking without a deviation, I do not believe you have the opportunity to upgrade, even if you ahve enough miles to do so. If you request a deviation, you can upgrade to a higher class if you have the miles or are willing to pay the difference.

Finally, Oceania will only arrange for transfers from airport to ship or vice-versa on the "normal" day. If you are flying in early, they will remove that transfer fee, and you are on your own; the same thing applies if you come home later. However, if only one of your flights is a deviation, they will continue to arrange the transfer for the other flight, unless you ask them not to. This is not really any penalty; Oceania's transfer fees are notoriously high, and you should only use them if you are really uncomfortable making your own arrangements.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but, as you said, it is a complicated subject. Everything I have learned about it came from my exceptionally knowledgeable travel agent.

We discovered the benefits of Tapas on the Terrace late in our 14 day voyage aboard the Regatta in April, 2004. We found it to be most desirable, as we could pick whatever item we liked (including lobster tails) and ate at our own pace (not having to wait for the course by course) and on our own away from the crowds (cats by nature don't congregate in large numbers, and the "tables for two" in the various restaurants were fairly close by, often separated only by a 6 inch gap).

On our recent voyage aboard the Celebrity Century, we also mostly went for buffet dinners and gave up those assigned seatings in the main dining room.

If I like the flights I'm seeing on my independent search, does the "air deviation" option allow me to have Oceania book these same flights, but at a higher cost (amount shown on my booking plus an add-on)?

Veezee-

When we use Oceania Air Deviation, rather than taking pot luck, we provide them with our lists of "Dream Flights".

They respond with a quote of how much it will cost for Oceania to book those flights for us.

Sometimes "our" flights don't cost more than what O would have booked for us on their own. If this is the case, we pay only the deviation fee.

If "our" flights DO cost more than what they would have booked, Oceania has the option of charging the difference in fares.

Hope this helped-

S&J

We discovered the benefits of Tapas on the Terrace late in our 14 day voyage aboard the Regatta in April, 2004. We found it to be most desirable, as we could pick whatever item we liked (including lobster tails) and ate at our own pace (not having to wait for the course by course) and on our own away from the crowds (cats by nature don't congregate in large numbers, and the "tables for two" in the various restaurants were fairly close by, often separated only by a 6 inch gap).

On our recent voyage aboard the Celebrity Century, we also mostly went for buffet dinners and gave up those assigned seatings in the main dining room.

Tapas for Two sound delightful, Meow! Thanks for the tip.

Thank you Susan, Lyn, Stan&Jim, Don&Betsy and Cameroon for the information on dining aboard the Nautica and about the intracacies of Ocenia air booking.

I most definitely need to ask about the air credit which Oceania will allow me. What I am seeing on my invoice must be something different and the breakout may be artificial.

Your responses and examples of how the air deviation works made it a lot clearer. Thanks again!

Archived